Medical Should I take a second gap year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to take a second gap year in order to increase my chances at my state/dream school?

Pros: Strengthen my application to all schools: strengthen letters, make some pocket money (working full time as research assistant), and in-state tuition is far less than out of state.

Cons: An additional year from the ultimate goal.

Thank you.
Depends upon what your app looks like now and what you intend to do

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 3.72 (strong upward trend)
MCAT: 514

I'd be APPLYING with these numbers if I don't gap.

Clinical Exposure: 120 hours of ED volunteering, 30 hours shadowing
Non-clinical Volunteering: 120 hours between a Food Pantry and Supporting families dealing with children in the hospital

*Red Flag/Reason for the first gap* All my experience is from junior year, research was summer before junior year. Do medical schools view what you did after applying and take it into account or don't care until after they see you as a potential student for their liking?

Research: ~400 hours (only one summer)
TA: Chemistry Lab TA

The current pandemic has limited my extracurricular. I feel like ED volunteering isn't as strong of exposure to almost "guarantee" me a seat at my state school. Stats are 3.81 and 512 averages, but they have 350 seats.

1 Year Gap options:
1.) Scribe Part-Time + Take some coursework to stay in school and replicate med school (really want to take cadaveric anatomy!!)
*Most research opportunities are limited to those with 2-year commitments.

2 Year Gap options:
1.) Research Full Time + Hospice Volunteering
2.) Research Part-Time + Scribe Part-Time
Get your shadowing up. Scribe full-time if you can. You've got plenty of ED shadowing and should consider other departments. What about your service to community and to vulnerable populations? How have you gone beyond your comfort zone in understanding those who are unable to access quality health care, education, or housing?

As of right now your ECs are very cookie cutter, and so I think that the gap year will do you some good. I have a strong admiration for people who are involved in hospice.

Research isn't going to be the app builder that you think it might be. Your stats are too low for the research ******. But taking the job to have a job is 100% OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.