Should I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silence in ER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , SDN. I'm a rising junior at a top ten school undergrad, but I have a very low gpa ( 3.3) sci gpa ( 2.9) and haven't yet taken the mcat, so I know that takes a lot of info out of the picture. I think I might have gotten a C+ in my second semester of physics. I had planned to apply to med school straight after my junior year but I don't know if its possible to come back from these stats. Should I take a year off, do a postbac program? Also, does going to a top 10 undergrad help me at all, I feel like its really been more of a mistake than an advantage.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi , SDN. I'm a rising junior at a top ten school undergrad, but I have a very low gpa ( 3.3) sci gpa ( 2.9) and haven't yet taken the mcat, so I know that takes a lot of info out of the picture. I think I might have gotten a C+ in my second semester of physics. I had planned to apply to med school straight after my junior year but I don't know if its possible to come back from these stats. Should I take a year off, do a postbac program? Also, does going to a top 10 undergrad help me at all, I feel like its really been more of a mistake than an advantage.

Being in a top 10 can help, but it probably won't make up for a very low GPA. Have you considered spending a 5th year? They can be more helpful than a postbac.

Hi , SDN. I'm a rising junior at a top ten school undergrad, but I have a very low gpa ( 3.3) sci gpa ( 2.9) and haven't yet taken the mcat, so I know that takes a lot of info out of the picture. I think I might have gotten a C+ in my second semester of physics. I had planned to apply to med school straight after my junior year but I don't know if its possible to come back from these stats.

1) Should I take a year off, do a postbac program?
2) Also, does going to a top 10 undergrad help me at all, I feel like its really been more of a mistake than an advantage.
1) Do what you have to to demonstrate a steep upward grade trend from now on. Planning a fifth college year, whether at your current institution or a cheaper state school is a good idea. Depending on where you are at that point, you might also consider an SMP if an MD school is important to you. Alternatively, if you retake classes with low grades, be aware that non-Texas DO med schools only count the most recent grade due to their grade forgiveness policy (must have the same credits per class or more), which would likely be a faster, cheaper route to GPA redemption.

2) Most are known for grade inflation, which isn't a helpful impression. Is it too late to transfer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would spend a 5th year but my school is very expensive, 60,000 dollars per year and I can't afford it. Worse, I've promised my parents that i'd deal with med school on my own ( 3 other kids behind me, so I have little room to maneuver). I would transfer but I can't right now, I've spent two years and I just need to finish. are there any cheap SMPs I could look into? Btw, thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm not picky, I think. I know very little about DO though.

we're in similar positions in life. I've embraced the fact that I made some pretty devastating decisions in life by not focusing more on school my first couple years, and started retaking a few classes for DO grade replacement. it shoots my GPA up a ton with just a few classes. If MD is not a must for you, I'd look into it. you're not down for the count yet, just don't do any more damage and start to correct what you need to correct. Good luck bud, it can still be done.

thanks. I'm looking at the DO schools right now and nova sounds so amazing and cool. How does DO grade replacement work? I guess I'd retake Calculus 3 ( a mistake on my part), maybe physics?

thanks. I'm looking at the DO schools right now and nova sounds so amazing and cool. How does DO grade replacement work? I guess I'd retake Calculus 3 ( a mistake on my part), maybe physics?

Yup, I'd advise retaking any classes you got C's or lower in and the new grade will replace the other in your GPA. it's really an amazing thing for people like us in this unfortunate position. Then just crush the mcat and MD could possibly still be on the table also. Bottom line is we can still fulfill our dream of being doctors, just a bit of a tougher road now haha. Live and learn.