Should I take organic chem with bio or physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to double up on my sciences. Should I take chem and bio together and then orgo and physics together? Or chem and physics and then orgo and bio? Any advice/experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people usually take Chem and Bio together and then Ochem and Physics. I'm trying to finish all of my pre-reqs before Junior year so I can study for the MCAT over the Summer and take it at the beginning of my Junior year. I myself am planning to have my schedule something like this:

1st Semester:
Gen. Chem 1
Bio 1

2nd Semester:
Gen Chem 2
Bio 2
Physics 1

3rd Semester:
Ochem 1
Physics 2
Intro to Psychology

4th Semester:
Ochem 2
Biochemistry
Intro to Sociology

I think this depends on your school and your individual strengths and weaknesses. For instance, at my school, nobody took chem and bio together. Usually, people did chem and phys and the same time, then did orgo and bio the next year. Or they split up orgo and bio because our bio professor was extremely challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor didn't want freshman non-science majors to double up on science, so I started with Gen Chem. As a sophomore I did O-Chem and Bio together and had no problems. I then did Physics and Biochem together. I had not real issues. If you want higher level Bio classes, I would not delay bio past sophomore year. The most important thing is to take Chemistry as a freshman in order to have it done in time to study for the MCAT.

At my school they recommend gen chem be taken concurrently with bio. I'll be taking orgo with physics next term so I hope it goes well lol.

I would recommend taking Physics and Organic together. They're both highly technical sciences so you wouldn't have to worry about shifting study dynamic throughout the semester.

Chemistry and Biology are both fairly straight forward so the impact of changing study approaches wouldn't be nearly as drastic as say Organic and Physics.

Yea I took orgo and physics my junior year as well.

I took Organic with Bio 2 and did well in both. This fall, I will take the second part of Organic with Physics and Cell Bio.

Did you find it manageable?
I did this, this past year. It was manageable but hard. I was still able to earn good grades. Just gotta study a little smarter for each course. I was lucky in that organic chemistry always made sense to me right away so I didn't study for that a whole lot past going to lecture and rewriting/editing notes.

It's definitely doable. You have to remain vigilant but it's nothing to freak out about. I had to put in a little more work in for physics but only cus I'm just not good at it.

It's definitely doable. You have to remain vigilant but it's nothing to freak out about. I had to put in a little more work in for physics but only cus I'm just not good at it.