should I take PCAT before taking microbio ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyaudrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie. I am going to take PCAT in Jun 2010. From now to that time I can only take A&P. I am not able to take micro bio due to prereq.

My pre pharm advisor suggested me to take A&P rather than microbiology. So, would it be ok if I take PCAT before taking mircobiology? (I took BIO I, II)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am a newbie. I am going to take PCAT in Jun 2010. From now to that time I can only take A&P. I am not able to take micro bio due to prereq.

My pre pharm advisor suggested me to take A&P rather than microbiology. So, would it be ok if I take PCAT before taking mircobiology? (I took BIO I, II)

Thank you

Yea A&P would be a better choice but there will be microbio questions though.

I dunno, when I took it there was quite a bit more microbio than A&P. And a lot of the A&P they test you on is common stuff you should either already know or covered in gen bio courses.

I dunno, when I took it there was quite a bit more microbio than A&P. And a lot of the A&P they test you on is common stuff you should either already know or covered in gen bio courses.

I don't remember seeing that many microbio questions on mine. I think there were more A&P questions on there. I agree with you that the A&P questions were just general things that you should know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember seeing that many microbio questions on mine. I think there were more A&P questions on there. I agree with you that the A&P questions were just general things that you should know.

Probably depends on test too. I remember questions regarding the fluid mosaic model and Gram+/- bacteria parts.

Like I said, A&P you can generally learn on your own prior to the test. Really its just studying various parts and pathways. Microbio on the other hand is not generally something you can just pick up a review book and cover.

Perhaps the better question is, why not take both at once?

Probably depends on test too. I remember questions regarding the fluid mosaic model and Gram+/- bacteria parts.

Like I said, A&P you can generally learn on your own prior to the test. Really its just studying various parts and pathways. Microbio on the other hand is not generally something you can just pick up a review book and cover.

I actually think that for the pcat is is the opposite for A&P/microbio. I think that for microbio it i mostly gram+/- and overall general things. I don't think you need to know that x bacteria is gram negative anaerobe or anything too detailed. I think that for A&P there are more specific problems based on pathways/mechanisms. I think it would definitely help to take physiology beforehand. I took physiology before taking th pcat and reviewed using the kaplan book. It definitely helped to hnave taken it beforehand, since the kaplan book was detailed in some parts and vague in others. (OThers have used different review materials but I am just speaking from my experience)