Should I take Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AE_19_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Anxious DO student here. My exam is on Friday. I scored well on COMSAE D and E.

NBME 15 (baseline at beginning of dedicated): 196
NBME 17: 210
NBME 18: 198
NBME 19: 81.5% (took it offline, saw this is about 210)
UWSA1: 241
UWSA2: 217
Free 120: 80%

My goals are IM/FM most likely. No limits on where I would match. Its looking like my score will fall 215-220.

What do ya'll think?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d take it if you’re confident in that prediction. 215-220 for FM/IM will help you out, and likely won’t burn any bridges that were open to you as a DO in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d take it if you’re confident in that prediction. 215-220 for FM/IM will help you out, and likely won’t burn any bridges that were open to you as a DO in the first place.

Thanks! Im going to take it. My poor scores where early in my prep. I've got a bit of nerves today.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you take NBME 18 and UWSA 2? If like a month ago and you've been improving, take it. If these are like a few days ago, I'd delay the exam and prep some more. Those 2 exams are very predictive and was very close to the real thing.
I took UWSA2 recently, and I wasn't ecstatic with this score, but it wasn't very far off of what my goal is which is 220. NBME 18 was weeks ago, and honestly I underperformed. Showed me a lot of week points, and helped me improve my scores.

I took 19 today with that 81% which I was happy with. Same 120.

I personally think UWSA2 predicts the best. You'll probably hit between a 210 to 220.

What's with that wild UWSA1 outlier?

Was planning on doing UWSA only cuz of free explanations but this makes me apprehensive

Was planning on doing UWSA only cuz of free explanations but this makes me apprehensive

It's still UWorld. Do it for the questions and explanations. UWSA1 was always considered to overpredict when I took Step 1, but I had heard they fixed the curve, but maybe not. Still worth extra questions if you have time for them.

Last year when people took UWSA1 it was on average 15-20 points higher than their final score.

Last year when people took UWSA1 it was on average 15-20 points higher than their final score.

They didn't fix the curve. It still overpredicts this year as far as I can see. I did tremendously better on UWSA2 than UWSA1 yet my score on UWSA2 was only 3 points higher.

They didn't fix the curve. It still overpredicts this year as far as I can see. I did tremendously better on UWSA2 than UWSA1 yet my score on UWSA2 was only 3 points higher.

USWA2 predicted my score on the point 3 weeks before my exam. I still think it over predicts mildly though, but more like 5 points.

Well damn. Now I'm scared about how I'll really do. I heard UWSA2 is the most predictive. I don't want it to overpredict! I want it to underpredict if anything!

It's still UWorld. Do it for the questions and explanations. UWSA1 was always considered to overpredict when I took Step 1, but I had heard they fixed the curve, but maybe not. Still worth extra questions if you have time for them.
Yeh consensus is theyre worth a day or 2 of dedicated regardless