When to take Step 1/COMLEX 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darrow O'Lykos

Hail Libertas! - PGY-0
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school's dedicated starts May 1 and we start our clinical rotations orientation June 20. Is it realistic to take Step May 24 and COMLEX a week later on May 31? I keep up with my Anki and am hoping to mature all of the Zanki and sketchy decks well before dedicated. Is this a safe timeline or too aggressive? I'm hoping to take off the ~3 weeks before orientation starts June 20th, but don't want to jeopardize my performance obviously.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
 
My school's dedicated starts May 1 and we start our clinical rotations orientation June 20. Is it realistic to take Step May 24 and COMLEX a week later on May 31? I keep up with my Anki and am hoping to mature all of the Zanki and sketchy decks well before dedicated. Is this a safe timeline or too aggressive? I'm hoping to take off the ~3 weeks before orientation starts June 20th, but don't want to jeopardize my performance obviously.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Take a COMSAE & NBME practice exam during spring break, and see where you are score-wise, then make your plan from there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i started grinding for boards around winter break and i was way above passing by the time may rolled around. if you put in the work you should be perfectly fine. i'm dumb as hell, i didnt even mature anywhere near all of anking, and i was still able to chill throughout dedicated. i'm sure you'll be fine
 
My school's dedicated starts May 1 and we start our clinical rotations orientation June 20. Is it realistic to take Step May 24 and COMLEX a week later on May 31? I keep up with my Anki and am hoping to mature all of the Zanki and sketchy decks well before dedicated. Is this a safe timeline or too aggressive? I'm hoping to take off the ~3 weeks before orientation starts June 20th, but don't want to jeopardize my performance obviously.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Based on what I have heard/experienced this year, you should put more emphasis on OMM review. My and my friends' forms were literally littered with OMM.