When to take Step 1/COMLEX 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darrow O'Lykos

Hail Libertas! - Medical Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school's dedicated starts May 1 and we start our clinical rotations orientation June 20. Is it realistic to take Step May 24 and COMLEX a week later on May 31? I keep up with my Anki and am hoping to mature all of the Zanki and sketchy decks well before dedicated. Is this a safe timeline or too aggressive? I'm hoping to take off the ~3 weeks before orientation starts June 20th, but don't want to jeopardize my performance obviously.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter when. Take it when you feel ready! There's no point in taking it if you fail.

Reactions: 2 users
My school's dedicated starts May 1 and we start our clinical rotations orientation June 20. Is it realistic to take Step May 24 and COMLEX a week later on May 31? I keep up with my Anki and am hoping to mature all of the Zanki and sketchy decks well before dedicated. Is this a safe timeline or too aggressive? I'm hoping to take off the ~3 weeks before orientation starts June 20th, but don't want to jeopardize my performance obviously.

Take a COMSAE & NBME practice exam during spring break, and see where you are score-wise, then make your plan from there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i started grinding for boards around winter break and i was way above passing by the time may rolled around. if you put in the work you should be perfectly fine. i'm dumb as hell, i didnt even mature anywhere near all of anking, and i was still able to chill throughout dedicated. i'm sure you'll be fine

Reactions: 4 users

Based on what I have heard/experienced this year, you should put more emphasis on OMM review. My and my friends' forms were literally littered with OMM.

Reactions: 1 user