Should I take step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabears405

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a 3rd year DO student and received my COMLEX 1 score in the 510s I have started rotations already and it's been difficult to even study for step 1. I believe that I'm below the average for comlex scores for those that match PM&R (~535). Is it the best of my interest to do everything I can to take step 1 in order to match PM&R? I am afraid that I might just end up with a low score like 200-210s due to the difficulty of being on rotations and studying for boards. I don't have any research or activities related to PM&R. Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
why not prepare very well for comlex 2 and get >600

510 without USMLE 1 could mean 450 with USMLE 2. Unless you are set on one of the very few programs that require USMLE, USMLE Step 2 is likely to do more harm than good.

Members don't see this ad :)
510 without USMLE 1 could mean 450 with USMLE 2. Unless you are set on one of the very few programs that require USMLE, USMLE Step 2 is likely to do more harm than good.

So you would advise against taking step 1?

So you would advise against taking step 1?

It’s a personal decision. I didn’t take it and I know many others who didn’t take it who ended up at top programs. I’ve known many people who saw a 150+ point COMLEX change between Step 2 and 3...the biggest variable being that they took USMLE 2 and not 3.

I think that DOs hurt their COMLEX score by also taking two tests. It’s a ton of extra money, it’s a ton of extra stress, and I don’t have any proof that 90+% of ACGME PM&R programs care if you took the USMLE. And DOs applying to PM&R often do better on COMLEX because they are more likely to set the curb on OMT. It is unlikely that the average DO student entering PM&R is going to do significantly better on USMLE than COMLEX.

The only ways I think that a USMLE will help you is:
- if you are applying to one of the very few PM&R programs that require it
- it could help you match to an ACGME transitional year (and some categorical, including my own, require it because the IM programs affiliated with them require it).
- it could be important if you are on the fence of whether PM&R is right for you. I’d advise DOs to take the USMLE for any other specialty other than PM&R.

I hope that helps.

It’s a personal decision. I didn’t take it and I know many others who didn’t take it who ended up at top programs. I’ve known many people who saw a 150+ point COMLEX change between Step 2 and 3...the biggest variable being that they took USMLE 2 and not 3.

I think that DOs hurt their COMLEX score by also taking two tests. It’s a ton of extra money, it’s a ton of extra stress, and I don’t have any proof that 90+% of ACGME PM&R programs care if you took the USMLE. And DOs applying to PM&R often do better on COMLEX because they are more likely to set the curb on OMT. It is unlikely that the average DO student entering PM&R is going to do significantly better on USMLE than COMLEX.

The only ways I think that a USMLE will help you is:
- if you are applying to one of the very few PM&R programs that require it
- it could help you match to an ACGME transitional year (and some categorical, including my own, require it because the IM programs affiliated with them require it).
- it could be important if you are on the fence of whether PM&R is right for you. I’d advise DOs to take the USMLE for any other specialty other than PM&R.

I hope that helps.

I guess my view is that my score is below average or close to average (depending on the scale for COMLEX this year), and I have nothing to "stand out" among other peers. Also PM&R has been competitive in the past few years, and I'm assuming most programs would like to see a usmle step 1 score. Of course, it wouldn't help if I end up with a score of say 200-210. I'm just afraid that I won't match because of my below avg score and that because I didn't take usmle step 1.

I guess my view is that my score is below average or close to average (depending on the scale for COMLEX this year), and I have nothing to "stand out" among other peers. Also PM&R has been competitive in the past few years, and I'm assuming most programs would like to see a usmle step 1 score. Of course, it wouldn't help if I end up with a score of say 200-210. I'm just afraid that I won't match because of my below avg score and that because I didn't take usmle step 1.

I believe your assumption is wrong. I don’t think that taking the USMLE will make up for a below average COMLEX 1 score. What will make up for the COMLEX 1 score is blowing the COMLEX 2 out of the water, and taking the USMLE 2 could hurt your ability to do that. Find better ways to stand apart, such as doing well on COMLEX 2, doing research, getting great LORs, and audition.

Reactions: 1 user