Should I take step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dabears405

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, Im a 3rd year DO student and received my COMLEX 1 score in the 510s I have started rotations already and it's been difficult to even study for step 1. I believe that I'm below the average for comlex scores for those that match PM&R (~535). Is it the best of my interest to do everything I can to take step 1 in order to match PM&R? I am afraid that I might just end up with a low score like 200-210s due to the difficulty of being on rotations and studying for boards. I don't have any research or activities related to PM&R. Any advice is appreciated
 
Last edited:
510 without USMLE 1 could mean 450 with USMLE 2. Unless you are set on one of the very few programs that require USMLE, USMLE Step 2 is likely to do more harm than good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you would advise against taking step 1?

It’s a personal decision. I didn’t take it and I know many others who didn’t take it who ended up at top programs. I’ve known many people who saw a 150+ point COMLEX change between Step 2 and 3...the biggest variable being that they took USMLE 2 and not 3.

I think that DOs hurt their COMLEX score by also taking two tests. It’s a ton of extra money, it’s a ton of extra stress, and I don’t have any proof that 90+% of ACGME PM&R programs care if you took the USMLE. And DOs applying to PM&R often do better on COMLEX because they are more likely to set the curb on OMT. It is unlikely that the average DO student entering PM&R is going to do significantly better on USMLE than COMLEX.

The only ways I think that a USMLE will help you is:
- if you are applying to one of the very few PM&R programs that require it
- it could help you match to an ACGME transitional year (and some categorical, including my own, require it because the IM programs affiliated with them require it).
- it could be important if you are on the fence of whether PM&R is right for you. I’d advise DOs to take the USMLE for any other specialty other than PM&R.

I hope that helps.
 
It’s a personal decision. I didn’t take it and I know many others who didn’t take it who ended up at top programs. I’ve known many people who saw a 150+ point COMLEX change between Step 2 and 3...the biggest variable being that they took USMLE 2 and not 3.

I think that DOs hurt their COMLEX score by also taking two tests. It’s a ton of extra money, it’s a ton of extra stress, and I don’t have any proof that 90+% of ACGME PM&R programs care if you took the USMLE. And DOs applying to PM&R often do better on COMLEX because they are more likely to set the curb on OMT. It is unlikely that the average DO student entering PM&R is going to do significantly better on USMLE than COMLEX.

The only ways I think that a USMLE will help you is:
- if you are applying to one of the very few PM&R programs that require it
- it could help you match to an ACGME transitional year (and some categorical, including my own, require it because the IM programs affiliated with them require it).
- it could be important if you are on the fence of whether PM&R is right for you. I’d advise DOs to take the USMLE for any other specialty other than PM&R.

I hope that helps.

I guess my view is that my score is below average or close to average (depending on the scale for COMLEX this year), and I have nothing to "stand out" among other peers. Also PM&R has been competitive in the past few years, and I'm assuming most programs would like to see a usmle step 1 score. Of course, it wouldn't help if I end up with a score of say 200-210. I'm just afraid that I won't match because of my below avg score and that because I didn't take usmle step 1.
 
I guess my view is that my score is below average or close to average (depending on the scale for COMLEX this year), and I have nothing to "stand out" among other peers. Also PM&R has been competitive in the past few years, and I'm assuming most programs would like to see a usmle step 1 score. Of course, it wouldn't help if I end up with a score of say 200-210. I'm just afraid that I won't match because of my below avg score and that because I didn't take usmle step 1.

I believe your assumption is wrong. I don’t think that taking the USMLE will make up for a below average COMLEX 1 score. What will make up for the COMLEX 1 score is blowing the COMLEX 2 out of the water, and taking the USMLE 2 could hurt your ability to do that. Find better ways to stand apart, such as doing well on COMLEX 2, doing research, getting great LORs, and audition.