Should I take the MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raphaelades

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I took the old MCAT (32) last year. I've graduated from college since, and I will be working full time as a research associate in a cancer lab until I leave for med school, or decide to move onto another career path.

So with that, I'd like to ask all you smart pre-meds, nervously perusing SDN forums as I, should I take the new MCAT?

Pros:
higher score = better chance of getting into better schools
genuinely interested in social sciences & feel comfortable with studying for biochem

Cons:
No guarantee for getting a better score
So much time, $, mental/physical energy (please keep in mind I am working ~40-50 hrs a week in my lab)
Did I mention $ already? Yes, but I list it again because I am financially independent from my parents and will be studying on my own again
Verbal score not expected to rise because English isn't my native language

I'm not looking for a binary answer, but I'm all ears if you could share your experience/insights with me.

Thank you for your time!

- S
Don't retake. Retaking a 32 is not worthwhile, as you'd have to score 36+ to make it useful.

32 is a solidly good score. I would not, especially since it doesn't sound like you're dead set on medical school given the "decide to move onto another career path" statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you averaging 39-40 on your practice tests before you took it and ended up with a 32 or were you averaging 31-34? If the former, I could see an argument for retaking. If the latter, absolutely not.

That being said, a 32 is above the average for matriculants and certainly gives you a solid shot at getting into an MD school.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro will probably threaten to reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head if you retake a 32.

Good score and good work. A 32 means you know your stuff!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with everyone - don't retake it! Focus your energy on other aspects of your application and also don't forget about that personal statement and secondaries! That requires a lot of mental/physical energy. Best of luck to you!