Should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LestStep

Reaction score
For context, I am a high school senior (ORM) who has competed in numerous Olympiads earning top scores in most: USABO, USNCO, USAPhO. In the past, I went to many AoPS WOOTs (Chem and Physics). From these olympiads and along with my full set of AP Classes (including psychology), I have a solid understanding in biology, physics, chemistry, parts of biochem and organic chem, psychology and sociology (my only non-AP class).

I have taken many practice test (NextStep, AAMC Fls, Kaplan, etc.) and have scored on average 520+. It should be stated that I am above proficient in using an Anki and I am well aware of the content review/practice phase of MCAT studying. Due to the increasing competition to get into medical school (+ college) and the rising number of applicants, I’m wondering if it would be possible to boost my college and medical school application by taking the MCAT early. I have spoken to some of my advisors and they suggest that there is no harm, although MCAT scores may expire within some years. My parents are also urging me to take this exam with the hope that I do well. I wish to attend prestigious universities that will further my education. I know that the ivies are very competitive to get into.

Although off topic, I have an eidetic memory which makes learning easier for me. In case anyone asks, I took subject tests + SATs/ACTs and I have done extraordinary beyond my belief - coupledwith my ECs. So will taking the MCAT help for my medical school and college application?

For those wondering if this is out of the norm, I believe that it is now becoming a popular trend as many of my classmates have been prone to do this. In fact, look at this source below:

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, go ahead and take the MCAT! Not having to study for the MCAT later will leave you more time for the truly important things, such as volunteering and helping those less privileged.

For context, I am a high school senior (ORM) who has competed in numerous Olympiads earning top scores in most: USABO, USNCO, USAPhO. In the past, I went to many AoPS WOOTs (Chem and Physics). From these olympiads and along with my full set of AP Classes (including psychology), I have a solid understanding in biology, physics, chemistry, parts of biochem and organic chem, psychology and sociology (my only non-AP class).

I have taken many practice test (NextStep, AAMC Fls, Kaplan, etc.) and have scored on average 520+. It should be stated that I am above proficient in using an Anki and I am well aware of the content review/practice phase of MCAT studying. Due to the increasing competition to get into medical school (+ college) and the rising number of applicants, I’m wondering if it would be possible to boost my college and medical school application by taking the MCAT early. I have spoken to some of my advisors and they suggest that there is no harm, although MCAT scores may expire within some years. My parents are also urging me to take this exam with the hope that I do well. I wish to attend prestigious universities that will further my education. I know that the ivies are very competitive to get into.

Although off topic, I have an eidetic memory which makes learning easier for me. In case anyone asks, I took subject tests + SATs/ACTs and I have done extraordinary beyond my belief - coupledwith my ECs. So will taking the MCAT help for my medical school and college application?

For those wondering if this is out of the norm, I believe that it is now becoming a popular trend as many of my classmates have been prone to do this. In fact, look at this source below:

Just remember MCATs have an expiration date

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good for you OP. I don't know if it will help with admissions but when I was your age I was looking for the next party I can crash so you're definitely on the right track.

Edit: if you do take it, try to apply within 2 years as 3 years starts getting late for many schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I recommend you wait to take it until you are within 1-2 years of applying to med schools. Also, to keep all your options open, don't let your parents push you into a combination BS/MD program. You might want to apply widely to med schools and these programs might restrict your ability to do that, as well as eating up all your summers and free time in college.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't see any reason to take MCAT as a HS senior given the expiration date. I don't think any UG school will value MCAT scores. If you are applying for BS/MD, medical schools may wonder why you are applying with 520+ scores to BS/MD programs.

I am curious why you took MCAT practice tests in HS. My son competed in various science competitions also (but not your level of achievements) in HS but didn't touch MCAT stuff until summer after sophomore year and scored 100 percentile.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't see any reason to take MCAT as a HS senior given the expiration date. I don't think any UG school will value MCAT scores. If you are applying for BS/MD, medical schools may wonder why you are applying with 520+ scores to BS/MD programs.

I am curious why you took MCAT practice tests in HS. My son competed in various science competitions also (but not your level of achievements) in HS but didn't touch MCAT stuff until summer after sophomore year and scored 100 percentile.
OP ends his post by stating it's becoming a trend, pointing to a reddit post as proof. If he's 0.01% as smart as he claims to be, he knows he is so much smarter than the rest of us that our advice would be worthless to such an extraordinary intellect.

Since taking the MCAT for college admission (when the trend is making the SAT optional) is now such a popular pastime, he surely doesn't need validation from the mere mortals on the SDN premed thread. Troll! Congratulations for playing.

• Haha
  • Love
OP ends his post by stating it's becoming a trend, pointing to a reddit post as proof. If he's 0.01% as smart as he claims to be, he knows he is so much smarter than the rest of us that our advice would be worthless to such an extraordinary intellect.

Since taking the MCAT for college admission (when the trend is making the SAT optional) is now such a popular pastime, he surely doesn't need validation from the mere mortals on the SDN premed thread. Troll! Congratulations for playing.
Go easy on the new kid.

Go easy on the new kid.
:laugh: No way, with this as a first post. It was designed to wind you up, and it was successful. :laugh:

He's literally an uber genius, and he needs YOUR advice on whether or not to take a test that will expire before it can be used for its intended purpose? :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
:laugh: No way, with this as a first post. It was designed to wind you up, and it was successful. :laugh:

He's literally an uber genius, and he needs YOUR advice on whether or not to take a test that will expire before it can be used for its intended purpose. :laugh:
You missed the part that UG schools are using MCAT in lieu of SAT/ACT/SAT IIs. 100 percentile MCAT may get full ride at Harvard.

You missed the part that UG schools are using MCAT in lieu of SAT/ACT/SAT IIs. 100 percentile MCAT may get full ride at Harvard.
Given that this is a required part of the registration process, I wonder if anyone is still comfortable advising OP to go for it?

"At the time of registration, you will be required to agree to a statement verifying that you are taking the exam solely for the purpose of applying to and attending a health professions program."

Given his so-called "eidetic memory" OP is more likely to be someone AAMC would want to bar taking the exam out of fear he will sell content to a test prep company than want to accommodate his desire to use to test to score an Early Action admission to Harvard UG! :)

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users

No one has cited anything suggesting that undergraduate colleges want to see students’ performance on the MCAT. An anonymous Reddit post isn’t proof of how undergraduate admissions offices view such a thing.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
No one has cited anything suggesting that undergraduate colleges want to see students’ performance on the MCAT. An anonymous Reddit post isn’t proof of how undergraduate admissions offices view such a thing.
I guess you missed the sarcasm :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It's a bad idea.

1. Even though MCAT scores expire, you have to report every score you've obtained if/when you apply to medical school. You may receive a very good score now - say a 519 or 520 - and it would be below average at the very top medical schools where ORMs might be expected to score a 522+.

2. Right now, you have the resume of someone who's a strong candidate to get into CalTech, MIT, Carnegie Mellon's CS program - ie programs that highly value academic merit. I don't see anything that necessarily makes you stand out at an Ivy - especially a place like Harvard or Yale that fancies itself the gatekeeper to the aristocratic class. If you've done exceptionally well in the Olympiads, say reached the International Olympiad level and medaled, then that might be enough to get you into Harvard or Princeton, which always have a few places for highly gifted mathematicians/scientists. Otherwise, you risk being harmed by association with Asian stereotypes that seem to be commonly held by selective college admissions officers. Studies have shown that Asian applicants who do stereotypically Asian things - e.g. math club, violin, science olympiads, fencing - are viewed as less "socially competent" than similarly credentialed white applicants and bringing less diversity to campus.

3. There's a wealth of information that supports the notion that this is a commonly held view; consider, for example, the data released in the Harvard litigation where Asian Americans received the lowest "personality" scores if you want a larger data set. Or you can consider anecdotal evidence. Consider a friend with a younger brother who is a very good athlete - soccer, baseball, track (sprints) - whose parents spoke to a college admissions counselor. The counselor remarked that it was rare for Asians to participate in more physical sports like soccer, baseball or the sprints and that, if they play sports at all, they tend to favor tennis, fencing or cross country; she made it clear that this was a view held by admissions officers of which she knew many.

4. You're already a senior and there's not much you can do to change your application profile. I think taking the MCAT would come across as too narrowly focused to Ivy admissions. You've already checked the high test score/high grades box sufficiently. You need to show that you're an individual, a leader, an innovator someone who sees the bigger picture, someone who wants to change the world, etc. I suggest working on demonstrating this through great essays, starting an organization that strives to change the world for the better in a small way, etc. Don't waste time on yet another standardized test; that would send the wrong message about you.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just wonder how many classmates from 2 years back reddit post are still high school seniors.

• Haha

I heard that USABO biology (along with the other Olympiads) completely blow the scope of the MCAT in both content and difficulty. After hearing this, I decided that I wanted to test the waters on the difficulty of the MCAT. Although surprising, I found that the content and difficulty of the Olympiads is somewhat comparable if not slightly harder than the MCAT’s. I enjoy the process of taking challenging exams because this is a way for me to look into the mind of the exam creators - allowing for a somewhat beautiful balance between my grappling of the knowledge and the exam creators’

Just remember MCATs have an expiration date
I acknowledge this fact. However, I was previously questioning whether a top score would be seen as impressive for an admission’s perspective? I will note that MyOdyssey’s comment seems perfectly valid (I don’t want to be seen as that student who only knows how to take tests).

I acknowledge this fact. However, I was previously questioning whether a top score would be seen as impressive for an admission’s perspective? I will note that MyOdyssey seems perfectly valid (I don’t want to be seen as that student who only knows how to take test).
Admission to what?

Sorry for the lack of clarification. Admission to undergraduate universities now and medical schools later.
For UGs, MCAT is irrelevant. Medical school is later, in order to use MCAT score for medical school, you have to finish UG in 2 years, which is highly unlikely and that won't provide you enough time to do all meaningful ECs as those are not just IQ but also time bound activities needed for medical school. May be there are better usages of your gifted memory for society good.

how are you getting 520+ on 3rd party tests as a high schooler?!
The difficulty level of olympiads train you perfectly well for undergraduate courses and college. In addition, some highly competitive top high schools allow for students to take courses that are at a college level. I have friends that have competed at these levels, and they now view college as a repeat of olympiads (if not simpler). The majority of them have 4.0s or if possible above a 4.0 (depending on the university).

Forget about olympiads, Even doing AP courses will get you All As in physics, chem, bio and Match courses. Definately olympiads are way more difficult. But my understanding is a high school student can compete in one or 2 subjects in olympiad. Like Math and Physics is a good combination. It is very unlikely any high school student will be able to compete in many subjects like , chem, bio, phyics, math etc. Also Agree with Op that olympiads are way more difficult than MCAT. But the trick here is MCAT testing is not on one subject. It includes, psychology, bio, chem, phy, anatomy, physiology, bio chem. As the olympiad kids are too good at one subject, it is not necessary for them to get 520+ always.

Forget about olympiads, Even doing AP courses will get you All As in physics, chem, bio and Match courses. Definately olympiads are way more difficult. But my understanding is a high school student can compete in one or 2 subjects in olympiad. Like Math and Physics is a good combination. It is very unlikely any high school student will be able to compete in many subjects like , chem, bio, phyics, math etc. Also Agree with Op that olympiads are way more difficult than MCAT. But the trick here is MCAT testing is not on one subject. It includes, psychology, bio, chem, phy, anatomy, physiology, bio chem. As the olympiad kids are too good at one subject, it is not necessary for them to get 520+ always. Additionally, with the AoPS WOOTs they cover organic chemistry and some parts of higher level physics. I simply used the MCAT resources to study the subjects. The MCAT is much less organic chemistry centric from my experience, although biochemistry is emphasized.
Although there are restrictions to competing, a student may still participate in different Olympiads through their entire high school career. This does tend to make students (like myself) a jack of all trades but master of none. However, I rather succeed in these Olympiads rather than competing at a higher level (such as the international level).

I acknowledge this fact. However, I was previously questioning whether a top score would be seen as impressive for an admission’s perspective? I will note that MyOdyssey’s comment seems perfectly valid (I don’t want to be seen as that student who only knows how to take tests).
Haven't a clue as to how UG admissions people would look at someone taking the MCAT. I can only give you an oblique reaction. If I saw an applicant to my med schools who somehow managed to take Step I, I'd ask, why on Earth did you do that???

I suspect that you're going to need to show more than just being a good test taker.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The difficulty level of olympiads train you perfectly well for undergraduate courses and college. In addition, some highly competitive top high schools allow for students to take courses that are at a college level. I have friends that have competed at these levels, and they now view college as a repeat of olympiads (if not simpler). The majority of them have 4.0s or if possible above a 4.0 (depending on the university).

Out of curiosity, are your friends who consider college STEM classes simple taking their STEM classes at places like MIT, CalTech, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. that have a lot of talented STEM students taking advanced STEM coursework as collegiate freshmen?

I ask because there are former science olympiad medalists who've admitted to being challenged in STEM classes at highly selective programs:

1. There was a former poster here named Sophist who, I believe was twice a top 20 placer in the US Chemistry Olympiad, a national science fair contestant and MIT student. Sophist used to post here about how challenging MIT's physics coursework was.

2. There was another poster who medaled in the US Chemistry Olympiad and complained that he could never do better than middling grades (B's) in organic chemistry at Brown.

3. There's this YouTube video of a multiple science Olympiad medalist who struggled to stay off academic probation at Harvard:

4. There's this guy who represented the US in both the International Math and International Physics Olympiads and who won an award for math research inspired by AOPS's MIT Prime:

I suggest you search for "how I got into Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Princeton" etc videos on Youtube. You will find a series of Asian American students with nearly flawless standardized tests scores and grades. The ones who get into the very tippy top schools are the ones who do something unusual at a very high level - filming a documentary, winning national awards for writing - while the ones with more traditional accomplishments related to software hackathons, math club, etc. have far less success.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are your friends who consider college STEM classes simple taking their STEM classes at places like MIT, CalTech, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. that have a lot of talented STEM students taking advanced STEM coursework as collegiate freshmen?

I ask because there are former science olympiad medalists who've admitted to being challenged in STEM classes at highly selective programs:

1. There was a former poster here named Sophist who, I believe was twice a top 20 placer in the US Chemistry Olympiad, a national science fair contestant and MIT student. Sophist used to post here about how challenging MIT's physics coursework was.

2. There was another poster who medaled in the US Chemistry Olympiad and complained that he could never do better than middling grades (B's) in organic chemistry at Brown.

3. There's this YouTube video of a multiple science Olympiad medalist who struggled to stay off academic probation at Harvard:

4. There's this guy who represented the US in both the International Math and International Physics Olympiads and who won an award for math research inspired by AOPS's MIT Prime:

I suggest you search for "how I got into Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Princeton" etc videos on Youtube. You will find a series of Asian American students with nearly flawless standardized tests scores and grades. The ones who get into the very tippy top schools are the ones who do something unusual at a very high level - filming a documentary, winning national awards for writing - while the ones with more traditional accomplishments related to software hackathons, math club, etc. have far less success.

Im going on the assumption that these struggles could be due to a number of reasons. The intense competition/environment could make it difficult to stand out from your well-accomplished peers, especially if they already understand the course material well enough like you (i.e curving system at elite colleges). Perhaps, professors may include material that is unique in that it involves their personal research to some extent (of which many students may not be familiar with). The exam style/format may differ from olympiads depending on the specific course (e.g. maybe a student is better in multiple choice biology than a written explanation of how different biological processes are connected to each other). Motivation is an important factor since in college you are not being forced/pushed by your parents to pursue academics (some students may in reality not enjoy olympiads but they were merely forced to compete in order to ‘prove something’ to their parents or college admissions). I see your advice at the end. I’ll take this advice to the heart, thanks.

Last edited:
Although there are restrictions to competing, a student may still participate in different Olympiads through their entire high school career. This does tend to make students (like myself) a jack of all trades but master of none. However, I rather succeed in these Olympiads rather than competing at a higher level (such as the international level). If you want proof, see the link below of a YouTuber that has competed in various olympiads. It is difficult but definitely not impossible.

Instead of all the Olympiads, that kid should have competed in Speech and Debate :)

Sorry for the lack of clarification. Admission to undergraduate universities now and medical schools later.
Indulging you for a moment and taking it on faith that you are not trolling, please read the portion of the MCAT Essentials document where it states that: "At the time of registration, you will be required to agree to a statement verifying that you are taking the exam solely for the purpose of applying to and attending a health professions program."

Given that you will have to sign that statement in order to take the exam, and given that it will be false at the time you are making it, since, by definition the exam will expire for a high school senior before he is eligible to apply to med school, the following might very well apply to you:

"The following are violations of the MCAT registration rules that may result in a cancellation of an appointment or cancellation of scores, a ban from taking the MCAT exam for a designated period of time or permanently, or other consequences (see Investigation Procedures):

▪ Obtaining more than one AAMC ID.
▪ Registering for the MCAT exam under another individual’s AAMC ID.
▪ Allowing someone else to register under your AAMC ID.
▪ Allowing someone else to use your AAMC ID to take the MCAT exam.
▪ Holding multiple reservations at the same time under different AAMC IDs.
▪ Improperly exceeding the testing limits for the exam, including having or using multiple AAMC IDs.
Providing false or inaccurate information when creating an AAMC ID or registering to take the MCAT exam.
▪ Selling or giving away your reservation to someone.
▪ Switching registrations with another examinee.

No biggie if you have no intention to ever apply to med school, but it could end up being a problem if the only point is to challenge yourself and "look into the mind of the test creator" (exactly what they don't want you doing :)) as a bored uber smart high school senior who might get a little more than he bargained for screwing around with this particular test creator. Call them up and tell them what you want to do. Let us know if they still allow you to register for the exam.

"Individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirement above must apply for special permission to take the MCAT exam. You must apply for special permission if any of the following statements are true:

You wish to take the test for any reason other than solely applying to and attending an eligible health professions program.
▪ You are currently enrolled in an eligible health-professions program and are looking to change schools.
▪ You are unable to comply with all AAMC testing procedures for reasons other than a medical condition or disability. To request adjustments to the standard testing conditions due to medical conditions or disabilities, please refer to the Testing with Accommodations section."

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Olympiads prepares you well for science classes only but not other classes. Lot of schools have liberal arts class requirements. Lot of science heavy guys struggle in CARS section. My kid competed in 4 science competitions so I know what you are talking.

Olympiads prepares you well for science classes only but not other classes. Lot of schools have liberal arts class requirements. Lot of science heavy guys struggle in CARS section. My kid competed in 4 science competitions so I know what you are talking.
I agree with this statement. Some of the CARS questions from various CARS passages can easily be debated (I don’t believe that all passages are clear-cut or black and white). That is one reason why I doubt that anyone can secure a 528 on every exam. It should be noted that the passages often follow a trend or pattern of logic, which may allow for one to successfully decide on an answer choice. From my experience, the sciences can conflict with the liberal arts, since the liberal arts can be often be nuanced or multilayered. I have struggle with this from time to time, but it takes practice. A majority of people show their uniqueness in their writings or essays (differs from sciences). Although somewhat true in the sciences and mathematics regarding topics, these fields demonstrate some objectivity that can be consistently orchestrated through exams (e.g 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of which MCAT question I am on). This is not to say that the sciences do not hold their own nuances and underpinnings.

Last edited:
Haven't a clue as to how UG admissions people would look at someone taking the MCAT. I can only give you an oblique reaction. If I saw an applicant to my med schools who somehow managed to take Step I, I'd ask, why on Earth did you do that???

I suspect that you're going to need to show more than just being a good test taker.

HAHA this made me laugh. I can only imagine such a situation.

It seems that competition has since increased last I was on sdn. Perhaps I should start prepping for the Step 1 as well. :laugh:

It seems that competition has since increased last I was on sdn. Perhaps I should start prepping for the Step 1 as well. :laugh:
It’s 2020 anything is possible.

If you didn’t have 520+ MCAT and a first-author Nature pub before elementary school, you better pack that sunscreen

• Haha
If you didn’t have 520+ MCAT and a first-author Nature pub before elementary school, you better pack that sunscreen

I prefer titanium dioxide based sunscreen.

I prefer titanium dioxide based sunscreen.
Good disinfectant combined with light rays. I’ve been wondering if this could be used as a marketable self-disinfectant :pompous: (think of it as a sheet for example)

I agree with this statement. Some of the CARS questions from various CARS passages can easily be debated (I don’t believe that all passages are clear-cut or black and white). That is one reason why I doubt that anyone can secure a 528 on every exam. It should be noted that the passages often follow a trend or pattern of logic, which may allow for one to successfully decide on an answer choice. From my experience, the sciences can conflict with the liberal arts, since the liberal arts can be often be nuisance or multilayered. I have struggle with this from time to time, but it takes practice. A majority of people show their uniqueness in their writings or essays (differs from sciences). Although somewhat true in the sciences and mathematics regarding topics, these fields demonstrate some objectivity that can be consistently orchestrated through exams (e.g 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of which MCAT question I am on). This is not to say that the sciences do not hold their own nuisances and underpinnings.
"Nuisance"? I believe you meant "nuanced"?

• Haha
FYI: MIT places a high value on service to others and a desire to change the world for the better. Plenty of high scorers out there; elite colleges want high scorers who are also unselfish and who care about others.

• Love
Yes, my mistake perhaps a Freudian slip;)
Honestly, though, what is the point of this thread, other than to elicit a few ohhs and ahhs from the mere mortals????

Status
Not open for further replies.