Should i take the PCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AznGTOi3oi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this is my situation right now

I just got my score for my PCAT the 2nd time, a 78% composite and i'm debating about taking it the 3rd time to try to hit the 80% mark, but the thing is i plan to turn in my pharmcas application by the end of august because i want to be in teir 2 of the pharmacy schools that have rolling application like USC and UOP. So what i want to know is that will i be able to update my pcat score on pharmcas?
Another thing is that is there any possiblity that taking the test again might hurt my chances in getting to another school. Because i've been checkin out schools and they all say that they take your highest PCAT score. I'm afraid i might do bad the 3rd time i take it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it depends on your motivation to go through the motions of taking the test yet again.

78% is a score I could only dream of, but it seems like everyone on here is just that smart. In my opinion, if you are shooting for something over 80% (since 78% is so close), that should be fine, especially if you get your applications in early.

It depends on the school obviously. I would call each one now and tell them what you got. Since you are early in the application process, each school should be able to tell you. If you dont care where you go to school and dont want to take this PCAT thing again, I would choose those schools that will say that your score is fine. Otherwise, you know what you have to do.

TennisBoy78 said:
I'd say it depends on your motivation to go through the motions of taking the test yet again.

78% is a score I could only dream of, but it seems like everyone on here is just that smart. In my opinion, if you are shooting for something over 80% (since 78% is so close), that should be fine, especially if you get your applications in early.

It depends on the school obviously. I would call each one now and tell them what you got. Since you are early in the application process, each school should be able to tell you. If you dont care where you go to school and dont want to take this PCAT thing again, I would choose those schools that will say that your score is fine. Otherwise, you know what you have to do.
I will say you should apply anyway now and get your application in now.This is because some schools will look at your 78 and you will have priority of the october people.Do not worry about other scores here.Everyone claims to have scores in the 90s,that is good but we do not know how far that is true.A 78 is good if you have a good gpa you will be fine.where do you want to apply.

annette22 said:
I will say you should apply anyway now and get your application in now.This is because some schools will look at your 78 and you will have priority of the october people.Do not worry about other scores here.Everyone claims to have scores in the 90s,that is good but we do not know how far that is true.A 78 is good if you have a good gpa you will be fine.where do you want to apply.

See thats the thing i've been looking at schools out there at it doesn't seem that my score is good enough, my GPA isn't that good too thats why i want to take the test to help justify my GPA, but what i want to know is that is there any harm in me taking the test again? Because alot of school's i'm checking say they only take your highest score, and i was also wondering if i can still send my scores to pharmcas if i e -submit my application already? if someone knows greatly apperciate the answer.

O does anybody know any schoools that think 78 is competitive all i'v found so far is 80% and up

Members don't see this ad :)
AznGTOi3oi said:
Ok this is my situation right now

I just got my score for my PCAT the 2nd time, a 78% composite and i'm debating about taking it the 3rd time to try to hit the 80% mark, but the thing is i plan to turn in my pharmcas application by the end of august because i want to be in teir 2 of the pharmacy schools that have rolling application like USC and UOP. So what i want to know is that will i be able to update my pcat score on pharmcas?
Another thing is that is there any possiblity that taking the test again might hurt my chances in getting to another school. Because i've been checkin out schools and they all say that they take your highest PCAT score. I'm afraid i might do bad the 3rd time i take it.

Definitely take it again. You can update your scores on Pharmcas, and as far as a know schools take your best score, it doesn't matter how many times you take it. It might matter if you get up to Double digits, but aside from that, try again and get a better score. Good Luck.

u did really well if u dont mind.. could u please tell me exactly what u studied and how... b/c i didnt do so well... ppl say study kaplan and i did do that but didnt really help much ... if in detail u could tell me waht u did i would appreciate it thanks

here are my numbers:
verbal: 87
biology: 87
reading: 71
quant: 95
chem: 65
writing: 3
composite: 88

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a good school in the midwest. I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA, 4.0 science GPA, Bachelors Degree in Business and pharm tech experience. Should I take it again to get above a 90 or is my score good enough?

rxrxrx said:
here are my numbers:
verbal: 87
biology: 87
reading: 71
quant: 95
chem: 65
writing: 3
composite: 88

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a good school in the midwest. I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA, 4.0 science GPA, Bachelors Degree in Business and pharm tech experience. Should I take it again to get above a 90 or is my score good enough?

Your stats sound very solid. Just check that the schools you apply to dont have a particular minimum cut-off per PCAT section that is higher than any of your subsections. IMO if you are applying this cycle I wouldnt worry about taking it again.

kvl1027 said:
Definitely take it again. You can update your scores on Pharmcas, and as far as a know schools take your best score, it doesn't matter how many times you take it. It might matter if you get up to Double digits, but aside from that, try again and get a better score. Good Luck.

I've been searching the forums for a direct answer on this but I can't seem to find it...I hope someone can help me out!

I want to submit my PharmCAS application by the end of August. But I'll also be taking the Oct. PCAT. I just want to double check, I CAN e-submit now?
How would I update my score? Do I just indicate that I am taking the Oct PCAT, and make sure I send a copy to PharmCAS?

Seems kind of strange for schools to have to read your application materials twice. How do you have an advantage by submitting now when you don't have the Oct. PCAT, in contrast to if you wait till the Oct PCAT?

( sorry for so many questions!! *sniff* )

Utterdevotion said:
I've been searching the forums for a direct answer on this but I can't seem to find it...I hope someone can help me out!

I want to submit my PharmCAS application by the end of August. But I'll also be taking the Oct. PCAT. I just want to double check, I CAN e-submit now?
How would I update my score? Do I just indicate that I am taking the Oct PCAT, and make sure I send a copy to PharmCAS?

Seems kind of strange for schools to have to read your application materials twice. How do you have an advantage by submitting now when you don't have the Oct. PCAT, in contrast to if you wait till the Oct PCAT?

( sorry for so many questions!! *sniff* )

The advantage in turning it in for me is for the schools that have rolling application. Which for me is USC and UOP, but i think what you do is you make sure which schools you want to apply and make sure that hardcourt sends the scores directly to those schools and make sure you send it to pharmcas code 104 i think.

Ok...I just got my PCAT scores today. I was wondering if I should retake the exam in Oct?
Verbal 77
Bio 73
Read 95
Quant 75
Chem 87
Comp 86
Writing 3
I graduated with a B.S. Chemical Science degree (3.5 GPA) and yes I do have pharmacy experience.