Should I take the UDM In-Person Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c3balmes

Reaction score
So I recently got my first interview invitation, and I’m incredibly happy I was invited as my stats aren’t exactly the most impressive:

GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.7ish
DAT: 18
Dental Assistant for over a year with over 100 shadowing hours.

As I live in Alaska, making my way out to Michigan is difficult and expensive (11 hr flight + $800+ expenses) and I would personally prefer virtual. However, all their virtual spots were quickly taken and the only day they have is October 8th for in-person, a day where my parents are gone from the house and I’m left house/dog sitting. I emailed them regarding my preference for virtual, but it seems like they’re placing a lot of emphasis on in-person interviews as they sent an email saying that they won’t open any more virtual or in-person spots until their October 8th interview day is filled and would like to see us in person if “resources and abled”.

As this is my only interview invitation I’ve gotten so far, I’m inclined to show commitment to UDM and make my way out there. On the other hand, I applied to 17 other schools with no invitation from them yet (other than a Kira assessment from Roseman) and UDM isn’t exactly my top preferred school. If you were in my shoes, would you take the in-person interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently got my first interview invitation, and I’m incredibly happy I was invited as my stats aren’t exactly the most impressive:

As I live in Alaska, making my way out to Michigan is difficult and expensive (11 hr flight + $800+ expenses) and I would personally prefer virtual. However, all their virtual spots were quickly taken and the only day they have is October 8th for in-person, a day where my parents are gone from the house and I’m left house/dog sitting. I emailed them regarding my preference for virtual, but it seems like they’re placing a lot of emphasis on in-person interviews as they sent an email saying that they won’t open any more virtual or in-person spots until their October 8th interview day is filled and would like to see us in person if “resources and abled”.

As this is my only interview invitation I’ve gotten so far, I’m inclined to show commitment to UDM and make my way out there. On the other hand, I applied to 17 other schools with no invitation from them yet (other than a Kira assessment from Roseman) and UDM isn’t exactly my top preferred school. If you were in my shoes, would you take the in-person interview date?
I would probably take the interview in person, the cost of flying out there to make a good impression is much less compared to the cost of actually attending the school if you’re accepted.

Reactions: 2 users

udm interviews hundreds of students, and puts most of them on the waitlist...

Reactions: 1 user