Should I take the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gp04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take the usmle in mid July..I took form 16 and got a 207 :wideyed: I found it to be really really difficult and I am debating on whether or not I should even take it anymore.. advice? blehhh

Members don't see this ad.

Better to not take it and do well on comlex than to take it and strike out. You have plenty of time to improve, and with 4 weeks left you could easily get that up to 230 with hard work.

Reactions: 1 user
If plan on applying to MD programs the answer is yes. You have plenty of time to improve your score, just stay focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really getting tired of DO students wanting to be treated equally to MD students, but then want to opt out of taking the USMLE because it's 'hard.' MD students don't have an option regardless of how 'hard' they think it is. People need to start manning/womaning up

Reactions: 10 users
I hear tampons are on sale at CVS. It seems like you need some. ;)

Push hard, spend a lot of time on USMLE World and FA and take it. If you don't take it you're not going to get into any specialty that would require a good USMLE score with just your COMLEX. If you take it and do poorly you are in the same situation as mentioned previously. Either way you're still in fine for the same caliber of non-competitive ACGME residencies. But if you do well you have a lot to gain. So take it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really getting tired of DO students wanting to be treated equally to MD students, but then want to opt out of taking the USMLE because it's 'hard.' MD students don't have an option regardless of how 'hard' they think it is. People need to start manning/womaning up

Geez, got a bone to pick?

Keep in mind their first 2 years of preclinical training is much more diverse. Many DO schools have significantly more clinical training than some MD schools and thus they don't focus on biochem/embryo/immuno as much. What makes a better doctor? Who knows, probably similar at the end of the day. Who scores better on silly standardized tests, MDs because their curricula are geared toward that standardized tests. Equality need not be based on an exam score but instead the quality of the physician.

Reactions: 2 users
Just DO it! ;) see what I did there

On a more serious note, make sure that you will pass it before you take it because if you failed, it ain't pretty.

Seriously sounds like you are a bit sensitive. Now I'm all for DOs taking the USMLE, competing with MDs, and keeping their options open, but I'm not for an inferiority complex that makes it seem like their whole lives need to be spent proving that they are equivalent to MDs.

Now as far as your comparing MDs to DOs (as if we don't have enough of that on here, and I hate to add to it, but..): Last I checked, MDs didn't also have to take and study for another set of boards (albeit very similar) within a couple weeks of Step 1. Its not like we have this luxury of choosing not to take boards as DOs.

On top of that most DO schools have a longer academic year and in turn give even less time for board prep than most MD schools. To give you a comparison, my school finishes the semester (with actual coursework and exams) mid-May, 1-2 weeks before we HAVE to take Level 1 (and step 1 because we start rotations in June). An MD school nearby gets out in Feb and starts rotations in May.

Seriously sounds like you are a bit sensitive. Now I'm all for DOs taking the USMLE, competing with MDs, and keeping their options open, but I'm not for an inferiority complex that makes it seem like their whole lives need to be spent proving that they are equivalent to MDs.

Now as far as your comparing MDs to DOs (as if we don't have enough of that on here, and I hate to add to it, but..): Last I checked, MDs didn't also have to take and study for another set of boards (albeit very similar) within a couple weeks of Step 1. Its not like we have this luxury of choosing not to take boards as DOs.

On top of that most DO schools have a longer academic year and in turn give even less time for board prep than most MD schools. To give you a comparison, my school finishes the semester (with actual coursework and exams) mid-May, 1-2 weeks before we HAVE to take Level 1 (and step 1 because we start rotations in June). An MD school nearby gets out in Feb and starts rotations in May.
No sh**. We got 4 weeks dedicated, and if we want any vacation that makes it like 2 or 3 weeks dedicated. Mind you most people don't study for block material the last few blocks, but still, its time away from board studying. During my non-dedicated time I still had 20 hours of mandatory commitments with clinical work, OMM, small group crap. All of the other instate schools in my state have like 3 months for boards, and one had 5!

Thanks! I think i'm going to try to take it depending on how I do on the next couple of practice tests I take (as this was just the first one) -- I guess I have a bit of time left to improve.

Just DO it! ;) see what I did there

On a more serious note, make sure that you will pass it before you take it because if you failed, it ain't pretty.

Keep in mind their first 2 years of preclinical training is much more diverse. Many DO schools have significantly more clinical training than some MD schools and thus they don't focus on biochem/embryo/immuno as much. What makes a better doctor? Who knows, probably similar at the end of the day. Who scores better on silly standardized tests, MDs because their curricula are geared toward that standardized tests. Equality need not be based on an exam score but instead the quality of the physician.

I do agree that a standardized test does not prove who is a great physician is. I don't agree that our curriculums are that different. I wasn't even a science major in undergrad and only came to school with the bare bone basic sciences. I thought I was taught well in micro, and not much else. So I learned biochem and genetics, etc on my own- at least enough to get most usmle questions right. My point is that you are going to have to work a little harder to learn the stuff, but who cares right? It ultimately makes you more knowledgeable and I STILL get pimped on step 1 material to this day. I feel like I am way ahead of my peers that only took comlex, and my other friends feel the same.

Reactions: 1 users
If you think you'll do at least average/above average, then take it. If not, then I would definitely skip it.

I'm applying ob/gyn and the majority of programs I'm applying to (east coast and chicago) accept the comlex. I didn't take the usmle as I didn't think I was going to do very well on it based on the limited time I had to study and so far no regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you'll do at least average/above average, then take it. If not, then I would definitely skip it.

I'm applying ob/gyn and the majority of programs I'm applying to (east coast and chicago) accept the comlex. I didn't take the usmle as I didn't think I was going to do very well on it based on the limited time I had to study and so far no regrets.

Curious Q:;

How come you decided not to do the method most people say to do which is study for USMLE since Day 1 and then just add the green book for OMM plus COMLEX bank?

I am planning to take the usmle in mid July..I took form 16 and got a 207 :wideyed: I found it to be really really difficult and I am debating on whether or not I should even take it anymore.. advice? blehhh

Take the USMLE. You still have a lot of time (4-5 weeks). 207 is actually pretty good for where you're at. And yeah, of course it's a difficult test (probably the most difficult you'll ever take). You will continue to raise your score with continued prep at this same level.... try to continue to take practice tests and always go over the correct answers and explanations (even if you got the question right)!

Mid July. You have plenty of time. I had a 40 pt improvement in not over 5 weeks of studying. I'd so go for USMLE.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Actually, that's not true. Not every MD school teaches to the boards.

I'm also not understanding what the volume of clinical training has to do with pre-clinical courses?

Anyways, how much biochemistry/embryo/immuno information could be missing from the DO curriculum that they couldn't make up during dedicated studying for the boards, where they can't take the USMLE and score decently, or at minimum pass it?

Every DO school has students that take the USMLE and are able to score fine. What makes those students any different from their classmates that sit next to them? Same school, same curriculum, no?

Actually, that's not true. Not every MD school teaches to the boards.

Anyways, how much biochemistry/embryo/immuno information could be missing from the DO curriculum that they couldn't make up during dedicated studying for the boards, where they could absolutely not be able to take the USMLE and score decently, or at minimum pass it?

Every DO school has students that take the USMLE and are able to score fine. What makes those students any different from their classmates that sit next to them? Same school, same curriculum, no?

My school only has a little bit of biochem (glycolysis and LDL/HDL stuff), and nothing else. Little immuno past Th1/Th2/MHC1/MHC2 and, and while we have embryo, its nothing significant. (mostly because these topics are low yield on comlex) Thus, I can see how a lot of students get to dedicated time with 0 biochem/immuno/embryo, and if you have that left for dedicated time, you have an uphill battle. Imagine having to learn all biochem/immuno in 4 weeks, not easy (and hell I have a PhD in biochem).

I totally agree some students do well, and hopefully I fall into that category, but I came in knowing what I had to do. I started learning the stuff my school was negligent in teaching us and thus its clearly the student, not the school. That said, I am baffled by the number of students I have come across that did not put in the time needed to do well, on either exam.

Imagine though, being at an MD school with no OMT, thats probably 300 hours of different material that you are being taught. The average student at an MD school, even if they aren't teaching to boards, already has a head start. I am sure there are equally as many students at MD schools that are unaware of the rigors of boards, but they have a slightly better foundation. Theres a reason why some MD schools have averages in the 230's+.

My school only has a little bit of biochem (glycolysis and LDL/HDL stuff), and nothing else. Little immuno past Th1/Th2/MHC1/MHC2 and, and while we have embryo, its nothing significant. (mostly because these topics are low yield on comlex) Thus, I can see how a lot of students get to dedicated time with 0 biochem/immuno/embryo, and if you have that left for dedicated time, you have an uphill battle. Imagine having to learn all biochem/immuno in 4 weeks, not easy (and hell I have a PhD in biochem).

I totally agree some students do well, and hopefully I fall into that category, but I came in knowing what I had to do. I started learning the stuff my school was negligent in teaching us and thus its clearly the student, not the school. That said, I am baffled by the number of students I have come across that did not put in the time needed to do well, on either exam.

Imagine though, being at an MD school with no OMT, thats probably 300 hours of different material that you are being taught. The average student at an MD school, even if they aren't teaching to boards, already has a head start. I am sure there are equally as many students at MD schools that are unaware of the rigors of boards, but they have a slightly better foundation. Theres a reason why some MD schools have averages in the 230's+.

I completely understand. Does your school start MS1 with systems, or separate courses?

I think that by you being proactive early on, you'll be successful. It's unfortunate that many medical students aren't as proactive as they should be, but that just gives you a leg up over them :p

I completely understand. Does your school start MS1 with systems, or separate courses?

I think that by you being proactive early on, you'll be successful. It's unfortunate that many medical students aren't as proactive as they should be, but that just gives you a leg up over them :p
Its called setting the curve :)

My school is completely systems based, which is the problem. Every block is led by a different instructor so there is a lack of congruency between all the blocks. Anatomy is somewhat led by the same faculty, but like it matters since anatomy is so low yield. On that note, we get minimal micro too. Its kind of ridiculous, especially because its regarded as a better DO school. Makes me wonder and afraid of what goes on at other institutions.

Was wondering if some DO schools do this, lack of teaching toward boards to keep board scores low and more students funneling into primary care. Some schools get significant kickbacks for students entering primary care, to help combat the shortage, and is just something interesting to think about.

Its called setting the curve :)

My school is completely systems based, which is the problem. Every block is led by a different instructor so there is a lack of congruency between all the blocks. Anatomy is somewhat led by the same faculty, but like it matters since anatomy is so low yield. On that note, we get minimal micro too. Its kind of ridiculous, especially because its regarded as a better DO school. Makes me wonder and afraid of what goes on at other institutions.

Was wondering if some DO schools do this, lack of teaching toward boards to keep board scores low and more students funneling into primary care. Some schools get significant kickbacks for students entering primary care, to help combat the shortage, and is just something interesting to think about.

I'm also surprised, because your school has a high reputation.

Yeah, you're not the first one to say it too. I know someone said another DO school cut down on board time to like 3-4 weeks, apparently "on purpose" so that people can skip USMLE or simply get a low score on COMLEX, which would limit their options and force them into primary care.

I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree with you that MDs usually (though not always) get ample time off to study for step 1. It almost seems unfair, but rather than complain about it, just sacrifice. That's what I don't get. Bust your ass for 2 months and finish your coursework alongside board studying and that's that. It also definitely sucks having to take COMLEX 1&2 and USMLE step 1&2 (I just finished the latter) but it is what it is. If you want to compete with our MD counterparts, then sometimes you just gotta be an MD :)

No sh**. We got 4 weeks dedicated, and if we want any vacation that makes it like 2 or 3 weeks dedicated. Mind you most people don't study for block material the last few blocks, but still, its time away from board studying. During my non-dedicated time I still had 20 hours of mandatory commitments with clinical work, OMM, small group crap. All of the other instate schools in my state have like 3 months for boards, and one had 5!

Yes, OMM adds a hell of a lot of worthless time to our curriculum. Believe me, I hate OMM probably more than anyone. Again though, you just have to suck it up and do it. Yes, it blows, but looking back now - I'm VERY glad I did it. I never in a million years would have thought I wanted to go into the specialty I plan on applying to.

Believe me, I hate OMM probably more than anyone. Again though, you just have to suck it up and do it. Yes, it blows, but looking back now - I'm VERY glad I did it. I never in a million years would have thought I wanted to go into the specialty I plan on applying to.

Which specialty?

OP, for what it's worth, I took my first practice test and scored a 209. I freaked out and 4 wks later ended up doing way better on the real thing. It IS a difficult exam, but as long as you keep pushing through UW (do it twice) and FA + Pathoma, you will be fine. Brush up on the small things like embryo and biochem for easy points towards the end. Feel free to PM me if you need any motivation along the way.

What made you pick Rads that looking back, its a big surprise?
I've always been the cliche 'visual learner,' but just always thought I'd be one of those docs that is all about building relationships with patients and all that stuff, but once I got out in the hospital I realized that I don't like taking care of patients haha.

Yeah, you're not the first one to say it too. I know someone said another DO school cut down on board time to like 3-4 weeks, apparently "on purpose" so that people can skip USMLE or simply get a low score on COMLEX, which would limit their options and force them into primary care.

I wouldn't be surprised.

What school?

I've always been the cliche 'visual learner,' but just always thought I'd be one of those docs that is all about building relationships with patients and all that stuff, but once I got out in the hospital I realized that I don't like taking care of patients haha.

Do you feel that way because most of the patients you dealt with were a pain in the ass?

Also, what's your opinion on the whole fear of Radiologists losing out jobs to outsourcing and etc?

I wouldn't be surprised.

There are DO schools out there giving a lot less than 3-4 weeks dedicated time out there. I've entertained the low scores/avoid USMLE/funnel to primary care conspiracy theory. I'm starting to think it just may be true, especially after seeing so many talked out of taking the USMLE, either by the school or by themselves.

There are DO schools out there giving a lot less than 3-4 weeks dedicated time out there. I've entertained the low scores/avoid USMLE/funnel to primary care conspiracy theory. I'm starting to think it just may be true, especially after seeing so many talked out of taking the USMLE, either by the school or by themselves.
I've also considered this theory. Which is why you should never listen to advice from anyone except people who have actually taken the exam. Nothing irked me more than when some student affairs admin would try to tell us that they understand how difficult it is and would offer worthless advice. They literally have no idea what they are talking about, therefore anything they said did not exist to me.

Do you feel that way because most of the patients you dealt with were a pain in the ass?

Also, what's your opinion on the whole fear of Radiologists losing out jobs to outsourcing and etc?
Yes. Almost all patients are a pain in the ass. It is very location dependent though. I got so sick of hypertensive diabetics who let themselves go for 30 years demand Ritz Carlton healthcare and hospital treatment free of charge. I realized pretty quickly that I just don't have the patience for those patients.

I also plan on going IR soooo can't really outsource that :)

Yes. Almost all patients are a pain in the ass. It is very location dependent though. I got so sick of hypertensive diabetics who let themselves go for 30 years demand Ritz Carlton healthcare and hospital treatment free of charge. I realized pretty quickly that I just don't have the patience for those patients.

I also plan on going IR soooo can't really outsource that :)

Dude, I completely feel your pain. After working in non-medical customer service for a while, I realized how upside down the general population is. Even though I'm still thinking of some specialties, I am still considering Path and Rads as viable options depending how my hospital experiences go.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE medicine and being in the hospital taking care of pts and problem-solving etc. I'm actually doing a Critical Care rotation now and I love it. I think it's bc most of the pts are sedated on a vent though. Even then, problem solving and analyzing lab results and managing critically ill pts is VERY stimulating and takes a lot of thinking and talent. I like it. BUT.... I just don't think I could do that day in and day out. It's very demanding and seeing families upset everyday makes me sad! To add on what I was saying earlier though- I know myself and I know that i just cant give the same care to those demanding patients as I could to a nice, respectful patient. That is a problem, albeit a personal problem/flaw, but still a problem that could get in the way of patient care. I would never want to jeopardize a pts care for any reason, which is why I just can't do any specialty that involves that.

I've always wondered why that is the case. I felt that preparing for usmle helped me on the comlex tremendously (like taking practice swings with a weighted bat).
Why would they actually encourage student to NOT take USMLE?
I do not believe the whole "80% of PD's use comlex" bulls**t.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE medicine and being in the hospital taking care of pts and problem-solving etc. I'm actually doing a Critical Care rotation now and I love it. I think it's bc most of the pts are sedated on a vent though. Even then, problem solving and analyzing lab results and managing critically ill pts is VERY stimulating and takes a lot of thinking and talent. I like it. BUT.... I just don't think I could do that day in and day out. It's very demanding and seeing families upset everyday makes me sad! To add on what I was saying earlier though- I know myself and I know that i just cant give the same care to those demanding patients as I could to a nice, respectful patient. That is a problem, albeit a personal problem/flaw, but still a problem that could get in the way of patient care. I would never want to jeopardize a pts care for any reason, which is why I just can't do any specialty that involves that.

Yeah, I just finished first year and I often wonder if I will ever be able to put up with the all the **** that the ER attendings that I worked for put up with. I know myself and even though I want to help patient's, I don't know if I truly have the patience to deal with the ER patient setting. I have really become interested in Rads because I enjoy looking at imaging, but I just don't know if I have the foundation for anatomy or know the anatomy well enough or if my grades will allow me to realistically pursue it, even if I rock boards (grades started to dip second semester; first semester was mostly A's; second semester was a lot of B's and 1 C+). I think I finished with a 3.45? My school did Anatomy year long this year and it was just hell trying to sprinkle anatomy in the middle of classes like Physio, Micro, Path, Neuroanatomy, ontop of the COUNTLESS hours of OMM.

Do you think I have a chance? Also, are saying that you already matched Rads? Did you match allo or AOA. Congrats BTW.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just finished first year and I often wonder if I will ever be able to put up with the all the **** that the ER attendings that I worked for put up with. I know myself and even though I want to help patient's, I don't know if I truly have the patience to deal with the ER patient setting. I have really become interested in Rads because I enjoy looking at imaging, but I just don't know if I know the foundation for anatomy or know the anatomy well enough or if my grades will allow me to realistically pursue it, even if I rock boards (grades started to dip second semester; first semester was mostly A's; second semester was a lot of B's and 1 C+). I think I finished with a 3.45? My school did Anatomy year long this year and it was just hell trying to sprinkle anatomy in the middle of classes like Physio, Micro, Path, Neuroanatomy, ontop of the COUNTLESS hours of OMM.

Do you think I have a chance? Also, are saying that you already matched Rads? Did you match allo or AOA. Congrats BTW.

No one cares about your preclinical grades as long as you rock the boards and don't fail anything.

No one cares about your preclinical grades as long as you rock the boards and don't fail anything.

Yeah, that was my understanding. I've heard this ad nauseam, both from second and third year students and the program director of the EM residency that I used to scribe for. I tried to just not worry about grades that much this year and focus more on actually learning the material. But, with that being said, I thought that with all other things being equal, and especially for some of the more competitive specialties where all the applicants have great grades (like derm, plastics, neuro, optho, ortho, and urology??) that grades actually matter, with Rads also falling somewhere in the competitive specialties list.

Yeah, that was my understanding. I've heard this ad nauseam, both from second and third year students and the program director of the EM residency that I used to scribe for. I tried to just not worry about grades that much this year and focus more on actually learning the material. But, with that being said, I thought that with all other things being equal, and especially for some of the more competitive specialties where all the applicants have great grades (like derm, plastics, neuro, optho, ortho, and urology??) that grades actually matter, with Rads also falling somewhere in the competitive specialties list.

Hmmm idk but is there truly a time when it's really that close? I mean there were some open spots in both osteo and allo rads this year so it's not ultra competitive is it?

Hmmm idk but is there truly a time when it's really that close? I mean there were some open spots in both osteo and allo rads this year so it's not ultra competitive is it?

I'm not sure. I was hoping some of the older students would weight in on this. Also, the poster mentioned that he wanted to pursue IR, because of the lack of outsourcing? Is this really true? And is it becoming more prevalent?? Is the interpretation of imaging being shipped to places where the dictating radiologist (say, at another country) is willing to read it for a fraction of the cost of what a US radiologist would? What if they screw up? what happens with liability?

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I was hoping some of the older students would weight in on this. Also, the poster mentioned that he wanted to pursue IR, because of the lack of outsourcing? Is this really true? And is it becoming more prevalent?? Is the interpretation of imaging being shipped to places where the dictating radiologist (say, at another country) is willing to read it for a fraction of the cost of what a US radiologist would? What if they screw up? what happens with liability?

IR is indeed a safe area of radiology. And images being read by folks overseas seems to be gaining steam it seems like it's the night guys reading films in Australia. As far as liability I have no ideal. Sorry :(

IR is indeed a safe area of radiology. And images being read by folks overseas seems to be gaining steam it seems like it's the night guys reading films in Australia. As far as liability I have no ideal. Sorry :(

What a crock of ****. We go to school for infinite number of years in an effort to help the general public. We go into extreme debt, especially with medical tuition going up over 300% since the 90's. Yet, as physicians, we can depend on the government to provide adequate funding to increase the # of residency spots to meet the increasing need for physicians. And now, outsourcing?? How are we supposed to pay off our 300K+ in loans??

Sorry for venting, and thank you for confirming the outsourcing. Definitely concerning and eye opening at the same time. Better to know than to go into a specialty blind. :)

Or, as Devil's Advocate, if enough people stop taking it maybe PDs will stop expecting us to?

@ OP, make sure you're ready. Do UWorld, NBMEs, UWSA, and build up your test-taking endurance..... those exams are exhausting.

I agree with you that MDs usually (though not always) get ample time off to study for step 1. It almost seems unfair, but rather than complain about it, just sacrifice. That's what I don't get. Bust your ass for 2 months and finish your coursework alongside board studying and that's that. It also definitely sucks having to take COMLEX 1&2 and USMLE step 1&2 (I just finished the latter) but it is what it is. If you want to compete with our MD counterparts, then sometimes you just gotta be an MD :)...

Fair enough. I agree. Its what I plan to do, I just wanted to make it clear that DOs don't have it easier by having a choice, because our choice really is study for 2 sets of boards or limit our residency options.

Fair enough. I agree. Its what I plan to do, I just wanted to make it clear that DOs don't have it easier by having a choice, because our choice really is study for 2 sets of boards or limit our residency options.
Nobody said we have it easier. You really are only studying for usmle, but you have to take 2 board exams. That's the crappy part. Oh, and the garbage omm you have to study for 48hrs

MS4

Or, as Devil's Advocate, if enough people stop taking it maybe PDs will stop expecting us to?
If we stop taking it, it only hurts the advancement of DOs. ACGME program directors couldn't care less if you take usmle or not.

MS4

Nobody said we have it easier. You really are only studying for usmle, but you have to tke 2 board exams. That's the crappy part. Oh, and the garbage omm you have to study for 48hrs

MS4

What was that part about how DOs whine too much about taking it, while MDs don't have a choice of whether to take it or not about then?

Again, not complaining, just found your initial post way too combative/inflammatory for the context of this thread...