Should I take these post-bacc classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UC Berkeley in Dec. 05. Took the April 06 MCAT and got a 32

My cumulative GPA is 3.395 while my BCPM if I did it correctly is 3.46.

Sadly I applied late in the 06 cycle so my chances of getting into medical school this cycle is really low.

During my last semester in Berkeley I fooled around a bit and got a NP (No Pass) in an upper level math course, Discrete Mathematics (how I regret taking that course now).

To improve my chances of getting into medical school next cycle I am planning on taking:

Physiology, Anatomy, Statistics, and maybe another bio class at a local CC. I know for sure I will get an A in all of them.

I want to show adcoms that I can succeed in Medical school and that my academic abilities are fine.

Is it wise to take these classes at a CC? How will these classes factor into my GPA?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are bad, at best. Your MCAT score is not particularly impressive, and your gpa is bad. Plus, it appears theres no trend to your grades and you have that F (or NP or whatever) in your last semester. And if things werent bad enough, you're applying late. You've managed to colossally screw yourself. Taking classes at a CC wont help. You should take them at the university level--preferably at Berkeley, since thats where youre from. Also, by the time grades come out for Spring semester, it will be well into May, when many schools stop interviewing.

Honestly, your best bet is to prepare for the future. Take classes at a university, try to retake the MCAT and aim for a 34+, attend an SMP next Fall and get your AMCAS in asap next time.

look at my grades+ mcat --> you can still get in, just gotta do it really early and have a really strong application. I am in an SMP, but didnt send in grades, but I think the fact that I was enrolled in one lent credence to my credibility. The nail in the coffin more than anything else, is by far applying late. Ive had many friends with GPAs MUCH MUCH higher than mine with MCAT scores with at least a few points above what mine is, and still not get in on the sheer basis that they applied late. Apply early next time, be prepared, have everything done as smoothly as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sadly I applied late in the 06 cycle so my chances of getting into medical school this cycle is really low.

During my last semester in Berkeley I fooled around a bit and got a NP (No Pass) in an upper level math course, Discrete Mathematics (how I regret taking that course now).

To improve my chances of getting into medical school next cycle I am planning on taking:

Physiology, Anatomy, Statistics, and maybe another bio class at a local CC. I know for sure I will get an A in all of them.

I want to show adcoms that I can succeed in Medical school and that my academic abilities are fine.

Is it wise to take these classes at a CC? How will these classes factor into my GPA?

Also, how did you do in the core pre-med classes?

Your GPA isn't low enough to be pre-screened immediately, and having a 3.4 GPA is much different if you got A+'s in biology/ochem but straight B's in super difficult math/physics courses.

That's an extreme, but it will make a difference if you have good enough writing skillz to get the attention of the adcom.

Your chances are bad, at best. Your MCAT score is not particularly impressive, and your gpa is bad.

Are you serious??? A 32 isn't impressive?? That score is in like the 80th percentile...that means he's at the top 20% of applicants in terms of MCAT scores....a 3.4 isn't great, but it isn't horrible. Considering there are schools that have average GPA's of 3.5 and 3.6, I would say this guy has a chance to get in somewhere.

Ya you probably won't be going to harvard, but with good EC's and solid interviews you have a great chance somewhere.
Numbers aren't everything.

I know people who got in with much lower stats....don't listen to the gunners on this board.

Are you serious??? A 32 isn't impressive?? That score is in like the 80th percentile...that means he's at the top 20% of applicants in terms of MCAT scores....a 3.4 isn't great, but it isn't horrible. Considering there are schools that have average GPA's of 3.5 and 3.6, I would say this guy has a chance to get in somewhere.

Ya you probably won't be going to harvard, but with good EC's and solid interviews you have a great chance somewhere.
Numbers aren't everything.

I know people who got in with much lower stats....don't listen to the gunners on this board.

The OP is from CA. They're not going to be impressed with a low gpa and a 32 MCAT. And a 32 may be in the 80th percentile, but that would be counting *all* applicants, not filtering the unsuccessful ones. If you only consider successful applicants, a 32 becomes much less impressive, perhaps around the 65th percentile, which is not impressive.

your just pissed because you know Michigan deserves to be in the championship game.

Your chances aren't terrible. Your GPA is a little below average and your MCAT is a little above average. If you don't get in, though, I'd suggest taking the classes at UC Berkeley extension instead of CC. It's more expensive, but it will look a little better on your application.

your just pissed because you know Michigan deserves to be in the championship game.

Oh God, how many of you people are there on this board? Lets just say, for arguments sake, that I did think Michigan deserved to be in the game, why the hell would I be pissed about it? If anything I'd be elated that we still managed to get to AZ. You michigan people are whiners *and* ******s.

I'm just messing with you bro, I actually thing the Big Ten is overrated and the SEC is much better. I think Florida deserved to get in....just trying to bust your balls a little.

michigans fault they couldnt deliver the first time around, though it woulda been nice to see ohio state trouncing on michigan again

While I don't think your stats are as problematic as the florida dude, I wouldn't do the CC thing. Doing modestly at Berkeley and then magically getting straight A's in upper level sciences at a CC says more about the CC than it does about your abilities. Take future coursework at a UC if you can.

So let me summarize what I should do before the next cycle begins (Jun 07):

Retake MCAT (Is this really necessary?)
Take UC Extension courses (I like this idea, thanks for pointing it out.)

One question: How would the courses I take affect my GPA? Would it count toward the cummulative or would it just be a different post-bacc GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So let me summarize what I should do before the next cycle begins (Jun 07):

Retake MCAT (Is this really necessary?)
Take UC Extension courses (I like this idea, thanks for pointing it out.)

One question: How would the courses I take affect my GPA? Would it count toward the cummulative or would it just be a different post-bacc GPA?

I would take UC extension courses...thats a good idea. Unfortunately, however, you can't change your undergrad GPA once you graduate. It won't count toward the cummulative. It will only count towards graduate GPA.

I don't think you really need to take the MCAT again, a 32, despite what some people on here might say, is good enough.

I think if you just apply early, you'll be fine.

I would take UC extension courses...thats a good idea. Unfortunately, however, you can't change your undergrad GPA once you graduate. It won't count toward the cummulative. It will only count towards graduate GPA.

Not accurate. Undergraduate level courses do not count as graduate. There is a column on AMCAS that combines undergrad and undergrad level postbac GPAs. That is the one schools reportedly look at for your cumulative.

Not accurate. Undergraduate level courses do not count as graduate. There is a column on AMCAS that combines undergrad and undergrad level postbac GPAs. That is the one schools reportedly look at for your cumulative.

Your right..my mistake

Anybody know what subject they make you take in medical school? I want to match up my classes with med school subjects so that it would be easier for me in medical school.

So far my choices are: Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, and Neurobiology.

I don't think Biochem would be useful, would it?

The OP is from CA. They're not going to be impressed with a low gpa and a 32 MCAT. And a 32 may be in the 80th percentile, but that would be counting *all* applicants, not filtering the unsuccessful ones. If you only consider successful applicants, a 32 becomes much less impressive, perhaps around the 65th percentile, which is not impressive.

the gators suck!!!!!!!!!!!

OSU is going to have a field day!!!!! Chris Leak will be mutilated on that field...and I will laugh at Urban Pansy Meyer

Anybody know what subject they make you take in medical school? I want to match up my classes with med school subjects so that it would be easier for me in medical school.

So far my choices are: Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, and Neurobiology.

I don't think Biochem would be useful, would it?

Biochem is useful at a lot of schools, and it's a subject a LOT of people struggle with. It's also a prereq at a lot of schools now.

Anything that comes under "molecular and cellular biology" is a good idea. If the 4 classes you list include molecular level detail (membrane transfer at the enzyme level, for instance) and/or embryonic development at the molecular level, then they're good med school prep.

You can get a look at med school curriculum on just about any school's site.

Be realistic about how many of these you can take at once. If you do 12-15 units of upper division science, and you're thinking about an MCAT retake, that's not a recipe for success. People do it all the time, but you don't have to.

Best of luck to you.

I actually think having really strong EC's might help you more than the classes. I'm not saying you shouldn't take them, but EC's will set your application apart more than numbers.

SF

Yea, I was thinking of boosing my EC by volunteering at a nursing home (I heard they are they are the best kind volunteer activity).

In addition to that take 15 units of classes. I'm not sure if I should retake the MCAT or not though.

Your chances are bad, at best. Your MCAT score is not particularly impressive, and your gpa is bad. Plus, it appears theres no trend to your grades and you have that F (or NP or whatever) in your last semester. And if things werent bad enough, you're applying late. You've managed to colossally screw yourself. Taking classes at a CC wont help. You should take them at the university level--preferably at Berkeley, since thats where youre from. Also, by the time grades come out for Spring semester, it will be well into May, when many schools stop interviewing.

Honestly, your best bet is to prepare for the future. Take classes at a university, try to retake the MCAT and aim for a 34+, attend an SMP next Fall and get your AMCAS in asap next time.

How did you become an Advisor?...I don't believe in sugar coating...but you go beyond giving constructive criticism...last time I checked Berkeley is not a cake walk of a school...not too sure I can say the same about UofF...I mean hey...it is the SEC (of course the exception is Vandy)

you should consider taking classes at sfsu. i gradudated from berkeley with a 3.3 gpa and took some upper div bio classes (immuno, molec genetics, cancer bio) across the bay to boost my gpa. it is cheaper than uc extension and the professors are there to teach (as opposed to research first teach second at berkeley). 1/3 of the students in the popular upper div bios such as immunology are post bac students from UCs, epsecially berkeley. i highly recommend u take a gander at sfsu- i enjoyed and learned much more from the sfsu professors than most of my berkeley professors.

Markboonya:

Thanks. I live in SJ so I would go to SJSU for classes.

I'm just wondering what would look better to adcoms:

Taking Biochemistry, Immunology, and Genetics at Berkeley Extension or at SJSU?

Markboonya:

Thanks. I live in SJ so I would go to SJSU for classes.

I'm just wondering what would look better to adcoms:

Taking Biochemistry, Immunology, and Genetics at Berkeley Extension or at SJSU?

i dont think it makes much of a difference to adcom whether it is extension or state. of course i am basing that on my own personal assumptions, but think of it this way- lots of cal state students get into med school and many cal state postbacers get it- so my guess is that adcom doesnt view cal state classes as inferior to extension courses. my advice is go with the cheaper and better eduation at sjsu. i almost wished i went to sfsu instead of berkeley.

How did you become an Advisor?...I don't believe in sugar coating...but you go beyond giving constructive criticism...last time I checked Berkeley is not a cake walk of a school...not too sure I can say the same about UofF...I mean hey...it is the SEC (of course the exception is Vandy)

Ouch...you can knock the football team (at least for the next month, until we spank OSU), but don't go after UF's academics--we're a fine institution and our med school has produced some of the highest Step 1 averages the last few years. That you would, however, belies your ignorance, but anyway...

Onto the OP's predicament. Its not impossible for him to get in somewhere, but based on the information provided, it seems exceedingly unlikely. I never knocked Berkeley, in fact I was encouraging him to go back for post-bacc, as opposed to a CC. But that I know of, no one is given degree-of-difficulty grade points for attending Berkeley, Duke, MIT or any other institution. A 3.4 is still a 3.4, and he did flunk a class in his last semester, which is going to leave a wonderful aftertaste, like Sierra Mist or roadkill. And the OP is from CA, which has ungodly standards. Frankly, I don't see how anyone with an ounce of sense and some rudimentary knowledge about this process could conclude that this guy is not toast for this cycle. And fortunately, I'm not the only person in this thread who has come to that conclusion.

Instead of giving this kid false hope about his chances, the correct advice would be to prepare for the future--thats the high-percentage play. So instead of banking on a semester of A's at a CC (grades that won't be available until May) to get him interviews, and then reapplying immediately in 2007 once that inevitably fails, it would be better if he spent the time taking classes at a formal University (Berkeley...Rice even!) post-bacc program (one that entails a commitment of more than a semester) and trying to increase his MCAT score, since its likely that he tests well (he is at Berkeley) but just didn't prepare for it (flunking a class in your last semester?) If he can do that, he's a good candidate for an SMP program, which *will* help him get in somewhere. An SMP may not be his best option at that point, but getting into med school with bad grades is a long process, and a one or two semester quick-fix approach is very likely to fail. By assuming it will take time and building with an eye towards applying in a year or two, the OP will save himself a lot of frustration.

As far as my qualifications for being an advisor, I've spent the last four years observing which low gpa candidates get in, and which don't, and, more importantly, why they get in, and why they don't get in. That qualifies me to be an advisor. So before you go off on a rant about my beloved Gators, and why I'm an advisor, take the time to actually read what I said, and if you still don't think its inappropriately optimistic enough for unlikely events, I suggest you buy yourself a football helmet and wear it AT ALL TIMES--just in case.

And while you're at it, get some therapy and/or medication to help with those feelings of inadequacy about our football team. Get started now, because its going to feel a whole lot worse after January 8th.

math 55, along with cs 188 are the reasons i decided to drop the cog sci major. anyway, i think it would be better if you took those postbacc classes at a 4 year institution - this is what a dean of admissions told me when i asked if i could do cc classes instead.

you should consider taking classes at sfsu. i gradudated from berkeley with a 3.3 gpa and took some upper div bio classes (immuno, molec genetics, cancer bio) across the bay to boost my gpa. it is cheaper than uc extension and the professors are there to teach (as opposed to research first teach second at berkeley). 1/3 of the students in the popular upper div bios such as immunology are post bac students from UCs, epsecially berkeley. i highly recommend u take a gander at sfsu- i enjoyed and learned much more from the sfsu professors than most of my berkeley professors.
i was thinking about sfsu but wasn't sure - how did you feel about immuno, etc at state compared to cal?

Lets assume that I won't get in this cycle.

How do I proceed from here? Please feel free to point out other options:

Option 1) I can take 4 classes post-bacc, do more EC (basically start volunteering at a nursing home in addition to my ER volunteer), and reapply June 07. I won't retake the MCAT.

Option 2) Apply to a real SMP this Jan., reapply June 07 (or is it 08? I'm not sure of an SMP timetable).

Option 3) Take 3 classes post-bacc, do more EC, and reapply June 07. Retake the MCAT for an estimated 35.

Option 4) Skip next cycle. Take 24 units worth of post-bacc classes (Berkeley has a program to prepare medical students). Retake MCAT. Continue and improve my ECs.

I really don't want to wait another year but if I have to then I will. Medical school is my dream.

I know I screwed up royally with that NP my last semester. But I can't change anything from my past so I will work my hardest in the future. I will work extra hard and get a 4.0 GPA post-bacc.

Lets assume that I won't get in this cycle.

How do I proceed from here? Please feel free to point out other options:

Option 1) I can take 4 classes post-bacc, do more EC (basically start volunteering at a nursing home in addition to my ER volunteer), and reapply June 07. I won't retake the MCAT.

Option 2) Apply to a real SMP this Jan., reapply June 07 (or is it 08? I'm not sure of an SMP timetable).

Option 3) Take 3 classes post-bacc, do more EC, and reapply June 07. Retake the MCAT for an estimated 35.

Option 4) Skip next cycle. Take 24 units worth of post-bacc classes (Berkeley has a program to prepare medical students). Retake MCAT. Continue and improve my ECs.

I really don't want to wait another year but if I have to then I will. Medical school is my dream.

I know I screwed up royally with that NP my last semester. But I can't change anything from my past so I will work my hardest in the future. I will work extra hard and get a 4.0 GPA post-bacc.

Or you could see patients, and then apply outside of California.

Your chances are bad, at best.

Hmm...the country bumpkin has spoken!!! Keep talking SEC...UofF will receive the Mr. Myagi special of "wax on wax off" from OSU come Jan. 8th.

Back to the issue at hand: That exerpt from your post does not appear to suggest that the OP has an actual chance of gaining acceptance to a medical school. And, the last time I actually spoke to adcomm's I was told that quality points for prestige of university are awarded (undergrad rank is just not weighed heavily).

And I am not sure where you get off telling someone that a 32 MCAT score is not good.

But hey, you are the one who has been oddly donned the title of advisor. My hope is that the OP just has enough sense to take some of your words of so called advice with a grain of salt.