Should I take/void MCAT or take after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cwx216

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

So I am currently scheduled for the Aug 20th date and just completed the AAMC scored (502: 126/124/127/125).

I've also taken in this order (one month before exam date):
EK 2: 61%, 55%, 60%, 59%
AAMC unscored: 61%, 64%, 61%, 58%
EK 4: 75%, 57%, 60%, 75%

I have been using the summer to study using TBR for gen chem, ochem, and physics, kaplan for biochem, and EK/TPRH for CARS. I've been using mcatjelly's schedule, however after two months of studying I started to struggle to retain info I learned from the beginning of the summer. I'm really hoping to get a 510 on the actual exam and I am having doubts that I'll be able make such a drastic jump in 8 days cause I haven't been scoring consistently in the range. I've past the date to get a refund for my exam if I canceled, so should I take the exam at this point and void it?? I've been hearing a lot of conflicting opinions about whether voiding can hurt you with the new reporting system.

Another option I have is to take the MCAT after my SMP (BU MAMS). The program ends mid-May and from what I've seen on SDN and having spoke to Dr. Offner, many students end up scoring 31+. However, I'm worried that after not having touched ochem/physics/psych soc stuff for a year that I will struggle to review these materials within a month of time. I'm also not sure of whether studying during winter break and taking the exam late Jan would be a better idea considering it'd be about the same amount of time in May and I could retake in May if needed.

I'm really struggling with what I should do - thanks so much guys for any advice!