Should I tell medical schools about a serious illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I tell medical schools about a serious illness?

• yes, put it in your personal statement

• yes, but don't put it in your personal statement

• no, and don't put it in your personal statement, don't ever mention it to them

Results are only viewable after voting.

chelsearose174

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So 3 years ago I was hospitalized for left side upper extremity ataxia, and left side facial paresthesia. The illnesses they investigated included cancer, MS, NMO, and neoplasms. All of my test results came back normal and all of my symptoms subsided. Then a couple months ago I had optic neuritis, and again all of my test results were normal. Being a patient gave me perspective on the hardships patients go through and how a physicians role can greatly change a persons prognosis. My experiences have truly changed me and have served as a major source of motivation to become a physician.

I wrote a rough draft of my personal statement talking about these experiences and how they have made me stronger, and how they made me become my patients advocate (while working as a scribe). Also throughout these health issues I've never slowed down. Personally I think writing my personal statement about this topic makes me stand out, and shows how strong I am. At the same time I'm not sure if medical schools will want me because I might have a serious health issue (even though I have never been diagnosed with anything and my providers don't believe anything will develop). Still though.. I might become really ill one day....

Members don't see this ad.

Sustained academic excellence will allay any health fears. Many people use thier own serious illness as a rationale for the path to medicine. I've had students who have survived cancer, type I diabetes, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, and ataxia.