Should I tell the recommender what to write?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked the dentist I shadowed to write me a letter for NHSC. Although she does know that I've volunteered a lot throughout college, she doesn't know the specifics.

Should I ask her to mention specific activities? (I could send her a list with descriptions.)

I don't want to come across as if I'm trying to put words into her mouth, but I'm worried that if I dont tell her the specifics, she'll just talk about my interest in dentistry, which is not what NHSC are asking.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion: Send her your resume! Let her know what NHSC likes to see in her letter.

Reactions: 1 users
I explained the purpose of the NHSC, my goals as a dentist, and why I picked each of my specific recommenders to both people I asked. Also attached my resume. I think they were both able to figure it out from there.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many profs and dentists will ask you for brief summary of points you want to be included in the letter, especially if they don't know you really well. I doubt any of them is simply going to copy and paste what you said into your letter. It just helps them write a letter. Normally, just let the writer take care of things unless they specifically ask for your input. Some writers might be annoyed if you try to tell them what to say.

I sent my CV and a couple of papers/abstracts.