Should I try to maintain my GPA or risk it and keep taking classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.75 GPA. I started off with a 4.0 my freshmen year but basically have been getting a 3.7 every semester since then (I had one semester where i got a 3.6...had 24 credits...4 science classes that semester). My question is for next semester should I take an easier courseload to keep my GPA at 3.75+ or try to risk it and take more science classes and hope I can pull off a cumalative GPA of 3.8? If i get all A's I can end up with a 3.8 GPA but if I don't it can potentially fall to a 3.7. I'm currently signed up for p-chem (Bachelors of Arts version which is easier), inorganic chem, cell bio, african studies and research for credit. I have already fullfilled my requirments for my major (neuroscience) but need two more classes for the B.A. in chem. I want to go to a top-20 just like everyone else. Will a 3.8 make a big difference as compared to a 3.75 at the top-10 schools? I'll be applying next summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

And I know my post might sound neurotic since its only a .05 difference but someone told me that a few of the top-10 (especially the MD/PhD programs) screen out people below a 3.8. Is this even true?

I have a 3.75 GPA. I started off with a 4.0 my freshmen year but basically have been getting a 3.7 every semester since then (I had one semester where i got a 3.6...had 24 credits...4 science classes that semester). My question is for next semester should I take an easier courseload to keep my GPA at 3.75+ or try to risk it and take more science classes and hope I can pull off a cumalative GPA of 3.8? If i get all A's I can end up with a 3.8 GPA but if I don't it can potentially fall to a 3.7. I'm currently signed up for p-chem (Bachelors of Arts version which is easier), inorganic chem, cell bio, african studies and research for credit. I have already fullfilled my requirments for my major (neuroscience) but need two more classes for the B.A. in chem. I want to go to a top-20 just like everyone else. Will a 3.8 make a big difference as compared to a 3.75 at the top-10 schools? I'll be applying next summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A 3.8 vs a 3.75 isn't worth it. And I'm guessing you haven't taken the MCAT either. You'll need to save some time to study for that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Neurotic for a normal person, but perfectly normal as a pre-med student.

Its a risk, where on one hand you will have a heavier hand in improving your gpa, learn more subjects, and show the schools how well you can handle a huge workload. On the other hand, you might slip and hurt your gpa even more.

The question you should ask yourself is: Are you stable? Are you in an emotionally sensitive relationship? Is your family life stable? Finances? If so, you could consider taking the heavy load and giving it your full gusto in a move to reclaim your transcript. Otherwise, if there are any foreseeable circumstances that will rock your boat while under this pressure, you should go the less heavy route.

And I know my post might sound neurotic since its only a .05 difference but someone told me that a few of the top-10 (including the MD/PhD programs) screen out people below a 3.8. Is this even true?

anyone? esp regarding MD/PhD

anyone? esp regarding MD/PhD

I would say that most MD/PhD programs do not screen out someone with a GPA below 3.8. Yes it is true that the programs are super competitive and most of the applicants are extremely successful academically but the most important thing is prior research experience that is fruitful and that you can explain in great detail. You have to remember that when looking at the MSAR and you see medians of 3.9 GPA's and 35 MCAT scores that the actual reality of it is is that there are a wide range of scores. I am at AECOM for summer research and they flat out said that they do not have cutoff's and they are one of the first original MSTP programs

hope this helps