Quantcast

Medical Should I update MCAT score during/after submittal of secondary application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
69,069
Reaction score
107,258

Members don't see this ad.
Hi, I was wondering if any of you know whether the adcom will evaluate my new MCAT score after I submit the secondary application.

I am a non-traditional student with 3.9 GPA and I have an un-expired MCAT score of 512. Seeing how I didn't get in my first time with this, I think one of the things that I could do was to re-take MCAT to improve my chances.

I wanted to apply again this cycle with that score for now, so that I can apply early. But the problem is that I am re-taking MCAT in August (score to be released in mid-Aug). I think I would have submitted some/most of the secondary applications by that point. If AMCAS is updated with a new MCAT score, I want to know whether the adcom will take my new MCAT score into consideration when they consider me for II. Does anyone know or have experience in this?
You will be screened on the basis of your current score. Med schools are under no obligation to wait for a new score, and it's foolish to apply without that new score. Suppose that you get a 513, yet you applied to Stanford and Yale? Those now become donations.

Take the MCAT and then apply. It's a pre-med delusion that early is mandatory, and you have to have your app in by 6/1. Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

It's OK to apply to a throwaway school to get the verification process going.
 

TheBoneDoctah

Full Member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
10,106
Reaction score
6,562
Are you sure you can score higher than 512? 512 is a solid score and you have a solid GPA. Did you get any interviews last cycle? If you did, maybe you need to beef up your ECs or work on interviewing? I wouldn't want you to retake the MCAT and score lower.

Thank you for your response!

I cannot guarantee higher score at this point. I think I would have a better idea once I start taking practice MCATs.
Breakdown of my 512 score is Physical science 131/CARS 124/BioBiochem 128/PsySocio 129. I am hoping I can pull up at least 1 pt in the last 3 sections. I know I need a huge improvement in the CARS section.

I got 1 Interview invite last cycle and I am currently still on the waitlist.

The reason why I wanted to improve my MCAT score is because my ECs are a little lack luster. I am a non-traditional applicant and I have a full time job which has a high demand for overtime, so I was unlucky in finding any ECs during the weekday. I volunteer at a hospital over the weekends. When I applied last cycle, my hospital volunteer hours was only close to 100 hrs over the span of 5-6 months. I continued to volunteer after I submitted my application, so this now became close to 200 hrs (1.3 year commitment) for this cycle. But this also had to stop because the hospital forbade volunteering work due to covid19.
 

TheBoneDoctah

Full Member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
10,106
Reaction score
6,562
That’s what I mean. With a 3.9/512 you should have heard back from more than one school if you applied smart, broad, and had the ECs. I think your problem is your ECs.

If you get to the point where you are sure you can score higher go for it. But I would be nervous doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 

Goro

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
69,069
Reaction score
107,258
Thank you for your guidance and sharing your expertise! As your recommendation, I will get my application verified early but hold from adding more schools of my choice until I get the MCAT score. Hopefully it is not too late to submit the primary application in mid-August for those schools.
That will NOT be too late, especially in the age of COVID19.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top