Should I update medical schools that I am a UK Fulbright semi-finalist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotSoQuiet

Reaction score
I am planning on sending an update to my remaining medical schools that I have interviewed with, been waitlisted, or still waiting to hear from. My updates will include additional clinical hours, continued 4.0 GPA, and a new leadership position in my university's health department. I am on the fence about updating the schools that I was selected as a Fulbright semi-finalist. Would AdComs look at the Fulbright as a favorable update? Any input would be appreciated.

If it helps, I have a high GPA and a low MCAT and have been accepted to one of my state MD schools and interviewed at 2 others, with 1 waitlist. The state school would not be my first choice if I got one of the other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on sending an update to my remaining medical schools that I have interviewed with, been waitlisted, or still waiting to hear from. My updates will include additional clinical hours, continued 4.0 GPA, and a new leadership position in my university's health department. I am on the fence about updating the schools that I was selected as a Fulbright semi-finalist. Would AdComs look at the Fulbright as a favorable update? Any input would be appreciated.

If it helps, I have a high GPA and a low MCAT and have been accepted to one of my state MD schools and interviewed at 2 others, with 1 waitlist. The state school would not be my first choice if I got one of the other schools.
The only thing maybe worth mentioning is the Fulbright update (?), but the others are nothing-burger. Clinical hours and "new leadership position" basically means nothing at this point in the app cycle and unlikely to increase your chances of II or waitlist movement. Also, "continued 4.0 GPA" is not really an update.

I personally don't think you have anything to update them on... but the Fulbright thing can't hurt IMO... but what if you update them and don't get it? Will you email them again to say you didn't get it and you're "continuing your semi-finalist position?" (last part is only half joking)

FS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing maybe worth mentioning is the Fulbright update (?), but the others are nothing-burger. Clinical hours and "new leadership position" basically means nothing at this point in the app cycle and unlikely to increase your chances of II or waitlist movement. Also, "continued 4.0 GPA" is not really an update.

I personally don't think you have anything to update them on... but the Fulbright thing can't hurt IMO... but what if you update them and don't get it? Will you email them again to say you didn't get it and you're "continuing your semi-finalist position?" (last part is only half joking)

FS
Thanks...I'm trying to think of anything that might help.

Better to update when you actually with award
I wish the notifications were earlier, but the soonest will be mid-March to April. Would you look at it favorably or just as a whatever?

If you win the Fulbright, what will you do about med school? Aren't you basically telling a school "if you admit me, I might end up asking for a deferral?"

Reactions: 4 users
yeah, don't mention Fullbright and if you win then ask about deferral.

If you win the Fulbright, what will you do about med school? Aren't you basically telling a school "if you admit me, I might end up asking for a deferral?"
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. If it looks negative or if a school would want to say they have a Fulbright finalist?

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. If it looks negative or if a school would want to say they have a Fulbright finalist?

If the school wants to brag, they are almost surely having the opportunity to admit someone who has won a Fulbright and done their year abroad. No one is going to brag about a "Fulbright finalist".

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
If the school wants to brag, they are almost surely having the opportunity to admit someone who has won a Fulbright and done their year abroad. No one is going to brag about a "Fulbright finalist".
I appreciate everyone's advice and decided not to update. That's why I love these forums...They always help me make informed, educated decisions! ;)