should I update schools with summer volunteer hours? (Already submitted primary and secondaries)

Started by deleted988786
Tags Tags
volunteering weak ecs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted988786

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a lot more free time this summer and volunteered a lot of hours (roughly 140 hours) at my local hospital. Due to covid, I was unable to volunteer there for roughly a year and only resumed volunteering in April, but submitted my primary in May. I feel that clinical/volunteer hours are a weak point in my application, so I don't know if it would be worth it to include an update 🤔
 
It's generally believed that volunteering hours are not important enough to be worth an update.
 
The activities portion of the application is not something that can be updated after submission of the primary. I know that's not exactly what you're asking - but others reading this might wonder.

Since you're all done with your secondaries too, keep track of the things you have done since submitting and talk about them at any interviews.
Formal updates to schools via email are usually for things like: publications, major awards, a new semester of grades, a new MCAT score.