Should I wait a year? Engineering student interested in PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natbug17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Hello! I have been reading through this forum and I was hoping that someone might have some insight on my particular situation. Currently, I’m a junior in nuclear engineering but I have decided to go to pharmacy school. In a nutshell, I really hate nuclear engineering. I did not come to this decision lightly- I have excelled in my studies (3.98 GPA, university and engineering honors programs) and for the past two summers, I have held a competitive internship position at a nuclear power plant. However, at the end of my sophomore year, I finally admitted to myself that I was unhappy with my degree and that I wanted to pursue a career in the health field, something that has always interested me. After extensive research, I have decided that I want to go to pharmacy school and then pursue residency programs in order to be a clinical pharmacist. I have done a lot of research and this career choice really seems to be a perfect balance of the sciences I actually find interesting and the lifestyle that I desire. I have a very analytical mind and I enjoy new and complex challenges, but I also want to make an impact on people’s lives, something that can’t be directly achieved in a typical nuclear engineering career. Something you should also know- I am not the stereotypical engineer! I enjoy working in a group setting as well as independently, and I am capable of eye contact and conversations .:). .
. .
.As a second semester junior, I have already taken both semesters of organic chemistry. For many reasons that I will not go into, I am finishing up my degree in nuclear engineering, while taking the necessary pharmacy pre-requisites. However, this semester contains the bulk of my engineering classes, which means I am not able to take any more pre-requisite coursework in the spring. Because of this, I will be completing Physiology and Biology 2 in June/July, Genetics, Anatomy, and potentially immunology in Fall 2012, and Microbiology and Biochemistry (or Analytical Chemistry) in Spring 2013. At this point, I’m still a little unsure about my actual schedule. However, I am participating in a pharmacy shadowing program at the university’s medical center this spring. .
. .
.Basically, I am concerned about whether or not I should start applying this coming summer or wait a year and apply in 2013. I am unsure as to how much pharmacy experience I will be able to acquire because of summer classes and potentially studying for the PCAT. Additionally, I am worried that I will spend my summer studying for the PCAT, and then I won’t do as well as I could because I will be teaching a lot of the material to myself before taking some of the necessary pre-requisites (I will be in Biology 2 during July). I am incredibly interested in attending UNC because of their curriculum/electives as well as their Professional Experience Program. I also love the campus and that region of the country. .
. .
.Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should wait a year before applying in order to get more experience? Should I study my butt off for the July test and then retake it in September if necessary, or should I just take it once in September? Does it look bad if I take most of my pre-requisite classes during my senior year, instead of completing them before I send in my application? Sorry for the novel but I don’t really know anyone that I can talk to about this matter in person and it is really starting to stress me out. .

Members don't see this ad.

You are in the same boat that I was in a few years back when I was doing Civil Engineering then decided to switch and I'm glad i did, Pharmacy is a wonderful field. My advice to you is don't wait till you think you're totally prepare then apply, just do it ASAP, it will help you gain valuable experiences.best of luck!

I agree, don't wait around another year to apply. Plan on applying next cycle if you can get all your pre-reqs done before pharm school. I think it'd be better to take the PCAT in July, and if need be, retake in September.. not sure on UNC but I'm sure a big chunk of schools won't accept January exam results. The exam itself is not all that bad really, and since you've already had a basic bio class and both semesters of Orgo chem, you should be in good shape. If anything, buy the practice exams online that they offer to see how you'd fare on the real deal. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think having a degree will definitely help you better with the admissions process, especially if it is something that is not bio/chem related. Engineering provides you with different qualities and characteristics, which I am sure will be able to transition over to pharmacy.

Study for the PCAT if you can, and see how well you can do with practice tests. You are on the right direction by obtaining experience already, as I expect with any pharmacy school interview, they will look for you to speak from your experiences.

It does not matter when you finish the pre-requisite courses, as long as they are completed by the pharmacy school's deadline. That, you will have to look up the specifics with the schools in which you decide to pursue.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm just worried that I will be taking on too much in the next six-ish months and therefore not really giving myself a good shot in the next application cycle. Would it be better if I also had a non-engineering professor write a recommendation for me? I already have one engineering professor (I took a few classes with him and he was my boss when I was an undergraduate TA) who has agreed to write me a LOR.

I think you'll do alright, even if you don't do as well as you did to get that 3.98 gpa ;) Check with the pharm schools you want to apply to. Some schools have specific requirements on their LOR. For example, they may require one from a science professor, one from a healthcare professional or pharmacist, etc. If the school isn't specific, then go with the people who will write you the best LOR :)

Chiming in as another engineering major switch. I thought I wanted to be an electrical engineer. The s/o has been in pharmacy for over 10 years and likes the field - he originally wanted to be a structural engineer. You're in good company. By the by, your comment about the engineer who can make eye contact made me laugh. :)

You've already got some great advice in this thread. It does sound like you'll be very busy in the coming months. Suggestions:

- Take July's PCAT. The majority schools do not penalize you for retaking the PCAT, but check your schools' policies. Some actually encourage planning to retake.

- Seconding the suggestion to take a Pearson practice test (those put out by the test manufacturer) to give yourself a baseline. You might surprise yourself. Taking one early, one in the middle, and one close to the end of your PCAT study will help you target your efforts. An important part of the test is about practicing the skill to get through rapid fire questions as much as it is knowing the material.

- Try to find a pharmacy position or related volunteer experience in an ongoing capacity, maybe a few hours periodically. Sooner the better. Knock two birds out with one stone: it may furnish an LOR, look good in your extra curriculars, and give you something to mention in your personal statement.

- Apply in 2012. Why not? What are you going to do for that extra year if you don't? The worst the school can say is no, in which case, ask them how you can improve your application. And if they say yes, you're made in the shade. :cool: Applying in 2012 also gives you the option to consider applying more broadly in 2013. You can evalutate after you take the PCAT, but I'm imagining you'll be able to put together a pretty good application. It doesn't have to be the strongest ever... just strong enough. ;) The only two down sides are money and asking for a second round of LORs - but if you explain the situation to your writers and frame it properly, they'd probably be thrilled to help out such a good student.

- Start mulling over what you want to write in your personal statement. Rehearse the answer to the question "why pharmacy?" Thinking about it ahead of time helped me when it came time to sit down and produce.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but at least that's a start. ;)

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

I am also in my 3rd year of Nuclear Engineering and unhappy with my major and am now switching to be a pharmacist. I was in the Navy for 6 years and worked in a Nuclear Power Plant then, I didn't care for working in an industrial setting and have decided to work in health professions.

I agree with what some of the other people have mentioned, try to get into Pharmacy school now 2012 and if you do not make it, finish your Eng. degree in the meantime and apply again for 2013.

Also if you did not know already, there is a nuclear specialty in pharmacy, Nuclear Pharmacist or even Oncology Pharmacy. Both work with radionucleotides in different ways for internal imaging, cancer patients, etc. Might be a good way to blend the two things you are doing, that is what I currently plan to do. Also if you did plan on entering one of those specialties, applying for Pharmacy School with a known specialty and the degree to back up your specialty can only help you.

Also, second to your education, working in a pharmacy as a technician is probably the next best thing you can add to your resume.