Should I wait for post-dec interviews or start applying for masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick_star

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thought I could get some advice on what I should do within the next week as the new year has arrived. I have been pretty much ghosted this entire cycle - applied to 14 schools, with rejections from Nova and UConn (kind of expected) and no word from the other 12. I am your typical average applicant, 3.41 AADSAS GPA, 20AA 19TS (no sections below 19), with a strong upward trend, especially in my last 4 semesters (>3.7).
While I know there is still time left for post-dec interviews, I'm beginning to shift my focus to applying to masters programs, specifically BU and Tufts. Do you think it is wise to do this? What would be the best time for me to submit a masters application? If I wanted to do a masters without taking an additional gap year afterward, would it be smart to reapply before I attend the program?

Additionally, I'm definitely planning on doing something this summer if I do not get in this cycle, specifically something that will boost my application for next cycle. I plan on reaching out to a few specialized dentists that know me well to see if they know of anything that could benefit my app. Any suggestions?

Lastly, do you think a DAT retake would be wise to take the time to do? I know my scores aren't the typical SDN overachiever status, but I don't think they are an obvious red flag on my application. I believe my LOR's ECs and PS were pretty solid, as a lot of the extracurricular activities at my school were based mainly on volunteer work.

Any advice would be great! Congrats to everyone who was accepted this cycle and I wish you the best of luck!:)

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably forgo the Masters and just retake your DAT while waiting for interview invites.

Last edited:
Your GPA and DAT is within the range of matriculating students. A master's program may help, but it depends on what your long term goals are... As far as the DAT, a retake could also help but isn't necessary.

I would call/make an appointment with schools you are very interested in and speak with an admissions counselor. Go over your resume with them and they will help you identify what could make you a stronger candidate. This also helps you understand what makes you a unique applicant and how you can possibly expand on that.

I was personally in a similar situation two cycles ago. I applied for master's programs/post-baccs in January - March. I then spoke with admissions counselors from a couple schools to get their opinion. I decided to go for a thesis based master's because it fit with my career goals, took the DAT again, participated in outreach events that I really cared about, and continued to shadow. This cycle I have been offered two acceptances!

You still have some time to be invited for interviews, but if not don't worry! As long as you are persistent and demonstrate growth you can achieve anything!

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users