Should I wait for summer grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonchi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I plan on trying to apply as soon as possible and I'm currently in a master's program. By the end of the semester , I will have 21 credits but only 18 of them will be science. I graduated UG with a sub 3 and know that some schools look more heavily at post graduate work once its past a specific threshold of credits (ie Wayne state 20 creds). So im thinking of taking a 3 cred summer class that ends mid June. Should I take 1 summer class and submit AMCAS mid June or forget about the class and try to apply as soon as possible? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I plan on trying to apply as soon as possible and I'm currently in a master's program. By the end of the semester , I will have 21 credits but only 18 of them will be science. I graduated UG with a sub 3 and know that some schools look more heavily at post graduate work once its past a specific threshold of credits (ie Wayne state 20 creds). So im thinking of taking a 3 cred summer class that ends mid June. Should I take 1 summer class and submit AMCAS mid June or forget about the class and try to apply as soon as possible? Thanks
As gonnif has pointed out, as of right now you're stats are lethal for both DO and MD schools.

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both so much for the advice! I've read what you both have had to say in this thread and others. @gonnif I'm currently in a biomedical science masters and the courses were created to mimic the first year of medical school (Gross anatomy, biochem, physio, immuno, neuro). So far i have a 4.0 and will more than likely finish the semester with a 4.0. But I know the masters isn't a SMP and have been accepted into an SMP for the fall semester where I will be retaking a lot of the coursework but with actual medical school students. I am optimistic that I can get into A school this cycle because i know a couple of friends that got in with slightly lower stats than me.

From what you both have told me, I will still opt to apply this cycle but i'll be even more realistic with my school list. Also it seems that 3 more credits wouldn't really make a difference so i'll save money by not taking the summer classes and try to hit the 1 year SMP refreshed in August. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps I could PM you guys to give you more of the full picture?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also @Goro , I've followed the advice in your guide and the only thing i'm missing/haven't completed is the 1 year SMP/2 year DIY postbac

OP you had two ADCOM or former ADCOM members with years of experience advise you and you have decided to ignore their adivice. Why did you ask in the first place?

1) you are in an SMP, that is what your masters is designed as
2) applying now would be a waste of money and time as no school, repeat no school MD or DO is likely to do anything but reject you
3) getting rejected now will just lower chances if you reapply
4) and to be blunt, you need to get your head out of your A-S-S. If you want to be a doctor, then I suggest you listen to the advice you are getting.
5) if you are going to take this advice than I ask that you start looking for whatelse you are going do with your life and please dont bother me again as you are wasting my time and more, importantly, going to waste more of your own
Np! I know you're busy, thanks for all the advice you've given (to me and other premeds)!

OP you had two ADCOM or former ADCOM members with years of experience advise you and you have decided to ignore their adivice. Why did you ask in the first place?
So I can hear there input! They've given their advice and my original course of action has changed. I definitely didn't ignore their advice. I read it and I've been reading through their advice for the past year. They've helped me understand myself better as an applicant. I gave a very vague picture of my circumstances and made a decision with their advice in mind.