Should I waive my right to access LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcwha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I waive my right to access to my LOR?

I'm not sure what do here. Does it matter? What do most ppl do?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Should I waive my right to access to my LOR?

I'm not sure what do here. Does it matter? What do most ppl do?

Thanks in advance

yes you have to.

you don't have to... b/c it's your right. but just waive it in case the school wants it you kno? it won't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOR is confidential. I figure it wouldn't be a LOR of you take peek at it?

LOR is confidential. I figure it wouldn't be a LOR of you take peek at it?

A LOR is a LOR... They don't have to be confidential.

Waving it lets schools know that your choice to see it did not influence the letter writer in any way.

waive it, that shows adcoms that you were "good" enough that you can trust your prof. to send in a good one.

However, alot of professors will allow u to read a draft. (hint hint)

i had my LOR from an actual professor who graduated from NYU in `67 (alot of campus professors are not ACTUAL/full professors), one associate professor who i did research with. and one MD/PHD wrote me an EXCELLENT lor with whom i took 2 grad courses and biochem. :)

what you can also do if your unsure how the writer will write his letter is to get a few letters from diff/iffy profs, and then have an pre-health comm. type up a joined letter with everyones strong point and sign it. in that way your ensuring its the best parts of u while still keeping it waived.

hope that helps?

this should be a no-brainer, but make sure you have somewhat of a relationship with the writer, otherwise you'll get a generic template with your name put on it thats been used before by X number of students.

Viewing the LOR is hard anyway ... its not like it'll be made available to you right away from what i've heard.

just waive it.