Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background info:
-I'm in my senior year at undergrad and am on track to graduate after this spring semester with a BS in Biology.
-My overall GPA is currently 3.36 and my science GPA is 3.29.
-I have withdrawn from 3 classes during my time as an undergrad.
-My adviser and I recently decided I should pursue an additional degree (like Biochem, which would only be an extra year of school) or a minor to raise my GPA. Also, this extra time will give me more time to get more volunteering hours, shadowing hours, and hopefully develop a good relationship with a science professor to get a LOR from.
-So, regardless I've decided I'm going to stay on at my current college for more time to make myself a better applicant for dental school.

Now, my question at hand:
Should I withdraw from my Advanced Human Physiology class? I just took the 2nd exam and the outlook for my grade isn't bright. I'm probably looking at a C or C-. This 5 credit class is notoriously difficult, and I've been working my butt off, but I haven't been succeeding. I am just now figuring out the best way to study for it, but it's too little too late. I know withdrawing from a class, particularly an important class like this one, at this point in my education will not look good on my application. Also, having withdrawn from classes in the past, it might seem like this is a pattern for me... Regardless, I'm in a bad situation and am looking for some advice on what would be the best course of action for me.

Semester withdrawals are different than course withdrawals usually because of circumstances allowed by academic affairs according to their policies. Course withdrawals when they are frequent do not help the applicant and bring serious concern about the applicant's ability to handle challenging semesters of courses. So a single W surrounded by other courses that are graded isn't too much of a problem unless there's a pattern. So the question is, is this something you have done more than once? If you withdrew from 3 classes, it means one thing if they all occurred in the same semester, but it's a different matter if they weren't. As a senior, you should have a good understanding of your study skills and the limitations thereof to know when you need help as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply,

I had two withdrawals during Spring 2017 due to health problems. Those two classes were biology classes (3 credits each) required by my major, which I eventually retook. My third withdrawal came during Spring 2018. This was a low level music class (1 credit), which I dropped due to time constraints.

Would this look like a large enough pattern, if I dropped this class, to put me at a disadvantage in the application process?

Would it be better to finish the class and retake it next spring?
The 1-credit music class is not going to matter. You have documentation of your health issues for the other situation, though you weren't so sick that you had to do a full semester withdrawal? For the question about withdrawing from your current class, are you taking a semester overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.