Should I Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering dropping physics II because of very poor performance on the first two exams of the semester.

I have a 4.00 BCPM GPA (I've taken org chemII, bio II, cal III), but this class is seriously going to end up being a C.

What do you say?

Withdraw and take it over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't know that u'll get a C and with a 4.0 a C or a B won't kill you.

Im a firm believer in never withdrawing/dropping a required class. Your going to have to take it again anyways.

Your only half way through it, So unless you slept through a test u can still probably slide your way up to an A.

Who knows some proffessors will throw in a suprise curve in the end.

Good luck!

I vote that you should drop it.

You've already made it past Orgo and Phys I, so you clearly have what it takes to make it to med school. Lots of people around here have a single W (myself included) in a required course and it works out fine. Lots of Ws would raise flags, but a single W is par for the course.

Plus, summer Physics II is likely to be easier. You've already learned a chunk of the material, plus Profs tend to be more relaxed in the summer. I personally always did better in summer school, and I think most other folks do, as well.

Good luck, OP. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering dropping physics II because of very poor performance on the first two exams of the semester.

I have a 4.00 BCPM GPA (I've taken org chemII, bio II, cal III), but this class is seriously going to end up being a C.

What do you say?

Don't kill yourself for another semester. Just do your best you are already halfway through. Try to get a B and talk with your professor.

This is what is going to happen
255457594_30f24af51f.jpg

And MOD will close this thread soon.

Thanks all for the advice.

Is one W significant at all? If I drop physics and get an A in it the next time I take it, does it really matter?

Thanks.

What do you say?

You can take two tests and still withdrawl from the class? What school are you going to? and how can I join?

Thanks all for the advice.

Is one W significant at all? If I drop physics and get an A in it the next time I take it, does it really matter?

Thanks.

No, one W will not be significant. If you do a Search, you'll find several discussions about this which all draw this general conclusion.

No, one W will not be significant. If you do a Search, you'll find several discussions about this which all draw this general conclusion.

Roger that.

Also, I think you should seriously, seriously consider your options - and talk to the prof - before dropping.

I understand the hesitance to lose that pretty BCPM GPA, but keep in mind that even with a B or C, you'll still be sitting pretty and saving yourself a month and a half of **** in the form of coursework retaken. I have a C in calculus (which is one of two non-As on my transcript, the other being a B in a history course), and I do not plan on retaking it.

So my vote = do everything possible to have your cake and send it on the esophageal slide, too. See what you can do before calling it quits for the term. :thumbup:

I'd work to salvage the class. Study for every night for 2 weeks for the final. This worked twice for me in undergrad - I cranked on those finals, and saved the grade for each.

WITHDRAW, keep the 4 and learn it better for the MCAT

Dude are you kidding me? One B-C is not going to kill you. You've already done most of the work. Spending your Summer in class will suck. Do something else like go to the beach or volunteer during that time.

Well, what if dropping the class resulted in the credit count for the semester going under full-time status?

How do med-schools look at one W and as a result of the W, part-time status?

What do you guys figure...

Dude are you kidding me? One B-C is not going to kill you. You've already done most of the work. Spending your Summer in class will suck. Do something else like go to the beach.

Corrected :D

Well, what if dropping the class resulted in the credit count for the semester going under full-time status?

Any thoughts? Anybody...

I agree-that's no good to go under (not to mention most schools won't allow it).

I like the idea of dropping a class because you might get a C-when the going gets tough, the pre-med drops it like it's hot. :rolleyes: Good to see people can handle a challenge.

Any thoughts? Anybody...

I don't think having a W is a big deal. The problem might come in with financial aid and scholarship. At my school, you had to have full time status in order for scholarship to count.

I don't think having a W is a big deal. The problem might come in with financial aid and scholarship. At my school, you had to have full time status in order for scholarship to count.

Mine as well.

In any case, I still think that it'd be better to do everything possible to stick it out. :D