Should I withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read over past posts about withdrawing from courses, and though they provided some useful info, I want to know what you guys think about my particular situation.

This term, I'm taking a very light load of 12 credits. I'm taking 3 upper-level physics classes and orgo 1. The reason for only taking 12 credits is that my mother recently received serious surgery, so I have been driving the 3 hours back home every weekend to help out while she recovers. I'm doing very well (top or near top of the class) in 3 of my courses, but I have fallen terribly behind in 1 of my physics class. I got a little behind in the beginning and it has gotten progressively worse and worse. I have a F in the class right now. Would it look very bad to withdraw from a course despite taking only 12 credit-hours this term?

On a side note: I have averaged about 17 credits per term up until now. Fall 2013 will be a 19 credit term. I have never withdrawn from a course, and I have a 4.0. I'm afraid that taking the W will make it look like I am trying to keep my 4.0, but that is not the case. I'm considering withdrawing because I am probably going to end up with a D or F if I don't.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought about summer classes? If so, stick with the W.

I have considered it, but they don't offer upper-level physics classes at my school during the summer. The scheduling isn't a big deal, since I'm ahead of my tracking schedule. Withdrawing won't affect my graduation time or anything like that. I'm doing an REU over the summer. I was thinking of just picking it up in the Fall 2013 (it will be 19 credit-hours total, including this physics class).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can easily explain the W in secondary's/interviews. You have a good reason and a 4.0 with an F is awkward. They mostly care about multiple Ws or Ws spread out over multiple semesters.

Hope your mom's recovery is going well :)

Thanks for the kind words, and thank you both for your help! I'm going to speak to some advisors before I make a final decision.

If you are in 12 now and drop to 9, you will likely drop to part time status, no? That might muck up financial aid or graduation prospects. Otherwise, I doubt it would matter given your tough load and past success.

If you are in 12 now and drop to 9, you will likely drop to part time status, no? That might muck up financial aid or graduation prospects. Otherwise, I doubt it would matter given your tough load and past success.
Yeah, I'm not sure about the financial aid part. That is the main reason I want to see some advisors about it first. As for staying on track for graduation, it'll have no effect whatsoever on my time of graduation. I'll just take the course in one of the next 4 semesters.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the financial aid part. That is the main reason I want to see some advisors about it first. As for staying on track for graduation, it'll have no effect whatsoever on my time of graduation. I'll just take the course in one of the next 4 semesters.

Some aid is probably contingent on full-time status, but only your financial aid office could tell you that. Good luck!