Will the CUNY I choose for a DIY post-bacc have a large impact on my ability to get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dataengnyc

Reaction score
I'm a career changer, currently 26 and have been working in tech for 4 years. I'm getting started with clinical, research, shadowing, and volunteer work now and plan on doing a DIY post-bacc and taking the MCAT over the next 2-3 years, while continuing the ECs.

Most of the threads I've seen about this are on the older side, and it's my understanding that City College has an official post-bacc program now, so I wanted to ask about whether the choice of CUNY I attend will have a great impact on med schools I have a chance at being accepted to.

For some background info, I have a bachelor's in math and psychology from NYU (3.77) and a master's in computer science from Cornell (3.7). Given the mediocre gpa, I'm aiming to achieve a 4.0 in my post-bacc courses (doing so would bring my BCPM GPA to about 3.92). Additionally, I'd like to remain in NYC if at all possible, including for med school itself.

Hunter of course would probably be the most prestigious, but I have seen some threads mentioning it's nearly impossible to get a 4.0 due to the curving and weed-out nature of the courses. Additionally, I fear that if I go the DIY route, I'll struggle to get seats in courses at Hunter or CCNY. For these reasons, I'm leaning toward Brooklyn College, but I'm not sure if med schools will view this as the "easy way out."

Or should I suck it up and take out loans for the program at either NYU or Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

post bacc informally done at cuny, various cuny schools, from the more known ones to lesser known ones, even a semester at one of their community colleges actually. accepted md and do. no problem at all

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much the same as @darkeon. Overall, I had a great experience with a CUNY DIY and had no problems when it came time to apply for med school. CUNY is excellent because it's cheap and easy to enroll at one school and register for classes at another CUNY campus (look up e-permitting).

CUNY is a massive system that can feel a little daunting sometimes, but there are a lot of great professors, and I would recommend it to any NYC area non-trad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a career changer, currently 26 and have been working in tech for 4 years. I'm getting started with clinical, research, shadowing, and volunteer work now and plan on doing a DIY post-bacc and taking the MCAT over the next 2-3 years, while continuing the ECs.

Most of the threads I've seen about this are on the older side, and it's my understanding that City College has an official post-bacc program now, so I wanted to ask about whether the choice of CUNY I attend will have a great impact on med schools I have a chance at being accepted to.

For some background info, I have a bachelor's in math and psychology from NYU (3.77) and a master's in computer science from Cornell (3.7). Given the mediocre gpa, I'm aiming to achieve a 4.0 in my post-bacc courses (doing so would bring my BCPM GPA to about 3.92). Additionally, I'd like to remain in NYC if at all possible, including for med school itself.

Hunter of course would probably be the most prestigious, but I have seen some threads mentioning it's nearly impossible to get a 4.0 due to the curving and weed-out nature of the courses. Additionally, I fear that if I go the DIY route, I'll struggle to get seats in courses at Hunter or CCNY. For these reasons, I'm leaning toward Brooklyn College, but I'm not sure if med schools will view this as the "easy way out."

Or should I suck it up and take out loans for the program at either NYU or Columbia?

Would not take out loans for NYU/Columbia for pre-reqs. I am bit far-removed from this process (started med school in 2003 at age 30) however majority of my pre-reqs were from Nassau CC(!), though I also had a BA in psych from Queens College and a BS in physical therapy from Hunter. Also completed Organic chem at Queens College just before applying as I was missing this. Bottom line was my MCAT scores validated my GPA from these schools. Think this is more or less the key. Ended up at a SUNY med-school. Best of luck!