Should one edit application information when reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look lazy and reflect poorly to not edit your application much when reapplying? Obviously I have done new things and will include them, but should I edit the descriptions for my experiences that I've continued such as shadowing? Also, I am satisfied with my personal statement that I used to apply last cycle, but will it look lazy to not write a new one or at least change it some?

So should one edit application information significantly when reapplying? Or keep mostly everything the same aside from adding new experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably don’t have to rewrite your experiences section. But you should def change some parts of your personal statement: have you learned anything from last cycle/reapplying?, maybe a more grabbing intro?, maybe you can include a couple of lines about your new experiences and why they were important? You may get an adcom that reads your recycled PS and remembers it and trashes it (I’ve heard of it happening), so why not spend a day or two trying to improve it. You may also have new readers read it and give their two cents, they might come up with a new take/spin on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you're applying to the same schools then yes you need a new personal statement. My school keeps the files of past applicants and the Dean of Admissions has pulled old files before to check notes that he made from previous cycles. He told me once he's not impressed if he see the same application as the year before.