Should you report this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnguyen1969

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We had a test in Bio today. As I was leaving the room, one of the Premed students was frantically going through his blackberry. From what I can tell, he was scrolling too fast to be reading emails. I was hoping he wasn't cheating. If he was cheating, I feel sorry for the guy. He is that desparate and it's not even med school yet. Anyways, when I got home, I shoot the prof an email so he'll be aware of the situation. I didn't give out any names, because I am not 100% positive that he is cheating. But the prof needs to know those expensive gadgets we all have in our pockets.

What would you do if you see that?

Members don't see this ad.

you don't know for SURE that this person was cheating...so taddling on him wouldn't be right. but i think you did the right thing in informing the professor about these things...not everyone out there knows the capabilities of a blackberry, iphone, whatever.

if the professor already banned phones from the exam, then i guess there's nothing you can really do about it if that guy was taking a sneak peak

He is either cheating or is an idiot for making himself look like he is cheating. We always had to leave our bookbags at the back of the classroom and sit in every other desk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly don't want someone who cheated their way through med school as my doctor or pharmacist.

I wouldn't say anything, if he is a cheater it will catch up to him on the standardized tests.

I wouldn't say anything about it. You can never know what he was doing.

One time during one of my exams, the professor said that we cannot leave the room even though we're done. So, I finished like 20 minutes after starting and there were about 1 hour 40 minutes left.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I cannot sit around twiddling my thumbs for 100 minutes. I already handed my test in, so I took out my MP3 player and my cell phone, started listening to some music while playing Tetris.

The professor got furious thinking that I was cheating.

I first thought he was done with the test and was just waiting for someone. But his test was still open and the Scantron is only half done. Normally, if it doesn't affect my grade, I really don't care. But after the last test, he was bragging how easy it was and how he hardly have to study to pass it. Now I know what he really meant. I currently hold the second highest grade in the class so I have nothing personally against him.

You did the right thing by telling the professor. A similar situation happen to me except the girl sitting next to me was a pre pharm student.The teacher would give us a review for the test to study and while we were taking the test she pulled out the review. She had no shame I guess she thought I wasn't going to say anything but I did and the teacher gave her a zero.

If its a straight scale class then who cares. If its curved then that would justify telling the professor, but honestly I still wouldn't care. As for the chick that pulled off the blatant use of her review sheet during the test, I would tell on the teacher instead for being a tonto.

I'm torn... Because I don't know exactly what form of violence I would use against someone who told on me because he thought I was cheating.

I took my prepharm at UB- ~400 person chem classes etc. If someone cheated it really didn't matter because there almost always was a normal distribution. It was their risk and frequently there were people getting busted.

I do agree that professors should be aware of all technological devices available. Was yours not? Every test I've ever taken as been prefaced by "If we see any ipods, pda's, cell phones or any other electronic devices out during the test your test is not valid".

Sometimes though, people get a bit too bitchy. One time during Organic Chem, the professor forgot about the side chalkboard and didn't erase it. We had done homework problems earlier on that board.

So, he gave out the test and lo and behold he put homework problems on the test. This one girl was stupid enough to tell the professor about the chalkboard, and was hated by the rest of the class.

I didn't tell the prof that the guy was cheating. I just told the prof that he needs to be aware of the situation. At the beginning of the semester, we were told not to have cellphones on. For some reason, Chemistry and Biology professors are not to-date on the current tech gadgets. Maybe it's just at my school.

Sometimes though, people get a bit too bitchy. One time during Organic Chem, the professor forgot about the side chalkboard and didn't erase it. We had done homework problems earlier on that board.

So, he gave out the test and lo and behold he put homework problems on the test. This one girl was stupid enough to tell the professor about the chalkboard, and was hated by the rest of the class.

Why is that stupid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I just have a different definition of cheating. For me, cheating is looking asking someone for the answers during the exam. If a professor forgot to remove any information from the room, kinda the professor's fault.

For example, this semester in Immunology, there was a huge chart in the room with diagrams about how the different kinds of white blood cells looked like, indicating the differences and the functions, the professor took the chart down like she should have.

The Organic Professor should have checked for it before he started it. Anyway, doesn't really pertain to this guy.

I just feel that if you rat someone out, its gonna come back to bite you in the *** later on.

it was stupid because everyone could have benifited from the info on the chalkboard not just one person...:rolleyes:

well well, most 'doctor' are stupid anyways because they only 'know' how to get their 'license'.....those are the one you should watch out for +pad+

and there are a lot of them out there.....you just....don't know who :confused: and

they think they can say anything and you would believe them :laugh:

I love these threads. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I'd be the first to rat out someone who I knew was cheating, mainly because if he screws up the curve....and I get a lower grade. I"d be pissed, plus it is the right thing to do.

Now, if I thought someone was cheating, I'd bring it to the professors attention, but I would clearly say I'm not sure he's cheating.

Yea yea yea, say whatever you want, call me a snitch or whatever...I don't care. First of all, you probably won't know its me, and if you don't get kicked out, you will be acting like a paranoid fool for the rest of the year.

Even if you knew it was me, threaten me with physical violence, see if I care, I'll be more than happy to protect myself, press charges, and then sue the crap out of you.

I'll be so worried about karma coming after my ***....................... hahaha...highly unlikely.

About the board thing, its a given that someone always says something about it. Will I hate someone for it, no.

I love these threads. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I'd be the first to rat out someone who I knew was cheating, mainly because if he screws up the curve....and I get a lower grade. I"d be pissed, plus it is the right thing to do.

Now, if I thought someone was cheating, I'd bring it to the professors attention, but I would clearly say I'm not sure he's cheating.

Yea yea yea, say whatever you want, call me a snitch or whatever...I don't care. First of all, you probably won't know its me, and if you don't get kicked out, you will be acting like a paranoid fool for the rest of the year.

Even if you knew it was me, threaten me with physical violence, see if I care, I'll be more than happy to protect myself, press charges, and then sue the crap out of you.

I'll be so worried about karma coming after my ***....................... hahaha...highly unlikely.

About the board thing, its a given that someone always says something about it. Will I hate someone for it, no.

I don't think karma would be out to get you unless you cheat. You wouldn't be doing anything wrong..

I personally saw someone cheating during my ochem 2 final. I didn't say anything, and I'm feeling very guilty about it right now.

Mind your own business. Lots of people cheat; welcome to the world. At the end of the day all that matters is whether you feel good about what you've done. You know you've done honest work. That is much more satisfying that what you get by ratting out a weaker individual.

Mind your own business. Lots of people cheat; welcome to the world. At the end of the day all that matters is whether you feel good about what you've done. You know you've done honest work. That is much more satisfying that what you get by ratting out a weaker individual.

So cheating is OK because lots of people do it?? No way! Do you want a pharmacist who cheated their way through school dosing a toxic antibiotic for your child? NO. If someone is cheating then they deserve to be 'ratted' out. Like someone said before, they are going to get a better grade on the test and potentially screw up the curve so everyone else gets a poorer grade.

I find it different if someone cheats in Pharmacy School or Med School, rather than cheating in High School or Undergraduate School.

You don't know if the person has the right information. In my first year, the guy next to me was cheating off of me, he didn't know that I knew about it. Now, I didn't tell the professor.

What I did was, I put down a bunch of bs answers. He figured that I was done, so he got up and handed the test to the professor. I erased all the answers and I put down the right answers this time.

So, I got an 85 on the test, while this guy got a 5.

What I mean by karma is, okay, you rat out the guy. If you do it in a way that everybody knows it was you who ratted the person out, now everyone knows you as "the rat". When you need their help with something else, they won't be there to help you out.

But a cheater is a cheater. If they cheat in undergrad to get a good GPA and get into professional school, then they're gonna cheat in professional school. I have very little tolerance for people who think they can cheat their way to a degree.

I'm not saying that cheating is right by any means. All I'm saying is that you have no business being a tattle-tail.

They are going to get caught eventually.

Hey, I worked hard for my pharmacy admission. I don't want to be in the company of cheaters who cheated their way in. They are taking up spots of deserving people.

How would you feel if you study your *** off for 3 or 4 days with about an hour of sleep and the guy next to you goof off and party all this time. When test day comes, he pull out a pda with all the answers and you guys get the same grade. If the guy is a genius and have photographic memory, then good for him. I just feel like any grades he got is not honestly earned. Anyways, I rat on him and know the consequences. At the end of the day, it's a decision you have to make. It's like when you walk down the street and see a guy beating his wife. Do you report it or mind your own business?

Hey, I worked hard for my pharmacy admission. I don't want to be in the company of cheaters who cheated their way in. They are taking up spots of deserving people.

Alright, I agree, but I just believe that their actions are going to catch up to them some day and it's not worth the hassle. Besides, if you're gonna rat someone out, just send an anonymous note to the professor.

Oh, to the other guy, if I see a guy beating his wife, I'll just pull out my handgun and shoot the guy.

Alright, I agree, but I just believe that their actions are going to catch up to them some day and it's not worth the hassle. Besides, if you're gonna rat someone out, just send an anonymous note to the professor.

Oh, to the other guy, if I see a guy beating his wife, I'll just pull out my handgun and shoot the guy.

Dang, you're making me miss Texas already.

I find it different if someone cheats in Pharmacy School or Med School, rather than cheating in High School or Undergraduate School.

Thanks for clarifying that there are different levels of cheating (Where is that sarcasm emoticon?).

Someone who cheats in high school and undergraduate school and succeeds in getting away with it will cheat in pharmacy school and med school. If they don't learn early, they won't stop.

Report them. It's the instructor's business and ultimately she/he is the one who needs to decide what needs to be done.

Dang, you're making me miss Texas already.

If it wasn't for the hot weather, I'd move to Texas. At least there, I could actually do something about the teenagers that throw eggs and beer bottles at our house.

We chased after them 3 years ago, caught one of them and brought him back to our house so the police could arrest him. The police actually told us that we were on the borderline of over-reacting, saying that if we had caused any physical harm to him, we would be liable. (The kid was like 135 lbs, and 5'1", I was 5'9 and 200 lbs and running at 15 mph. Thus my tackle, if done at the right spot, could have shattered his bones.)

But yeah, the kid wasn't harmed as much as being shellshocked, and his parents were forced to pay the full damage to what happened to our house.

As to the levels of cheating, if someone is cheating on their History or Literature exam, I wouldn't give a hoot. If they are cheating on their Human Anatomy and Physiology exam, it's kind of a bigger deal.

I actually had to report a case of cheating when a woman in her 40s started to ask other students around her for help on how to do the problems during my general chem midterm. She started to ask me for help, but I pretended that I couldn't hear her because I was so focused on my midterm. Another time was when the same lady decided to make it obvious and open her textbook to search for answers on the exam. I did talk to the professor and told on her many times, but the professor really didn't take action. This lady earned an A in the class, and probably had one of the highest grades in the class too. By the way, this class was taken at a community college.

you still did the right thing thats all that matters.

I am borderline disgusted by your response.

It ALLWAYS comes back to you... Short story. During my first non ESL semester I was taking psychology and because my English was kinda poor I would seat on the first row and ask questions. When I was taking the first test the guy who was seating on the last row switched from his last row seat to one that's next to me. And the whole test his eyes were in my test. And you know what's funny? I wasn't ready for the test. Result :I got C and he got D he was soo surprised because he assumed that I seat on the first row and ask a lot of questions then that means that I know something.I got A anyway in the class.:smuggrin:

But yeah, I would still draw professor's attention about what you saw.

So you're saying you'd feel good about yourself knowing that you saw someone cheating and didn't report it?

Super lame :thumbdown:

So you're saying you'd feel good about yourself knowing that you saw someone cheating and didn't report it?

Super lame :thumbdown:

A lot of selective reading going on. All he's saying that he wouldn't get any satisfaction or good feeling out of ratting somebody out. He would rather just do his work legitimately and mind his own business.

Basically, you'll get a better high knowing that you did it the right way, compared to the cheater, who had to cheat. Whether you turn them in or not, doesn't matter.

This is kind of a different scenario, but if fireworks were illegal in your city, and you knew your neighbor/friend was illegally distributing fireworks, would you call the police on them? No, you wouldn't.

I'm glad your point of view on cheating results in a dead patient instead of someone being labeled a 'rat'. :thumbdown:

I was just thinking the same thing, I swear.

I know this probably isn't the popular thing to do, but in that situation I wouldn't rat. Snitching is something a rat like Jose Canseco would do. Just mind your business and the guy will get caught eventually.

I know this probably isn't the popular thing to do, but in that situation I wouldn't rat. Snitching is something a rat like Jose Canseco would do. Just mind your business and the guy will get caught eventually.

Your definition of ratting is somewhat scewed. Ratting is going to the library administration and reporting that a couple in the study room next to you is having sex. That is considered ratting. Reporting to your professor that a fellow student is cheating is not ratting. They are your competition for god's sake. I'd like to believe in karma too, but, ultimately, we live in the real world and there is an extremely high chance that the cheater will simply get away with it and nothing ever will happen to him. He will simply succeed.

Exactly. Nobody has signed Barry Bonds this season, and it's pretty evident that he used steroids. I doubt that this guy will end up in the HOF.

Alright, so I went a bit far with the patient dying. That is if the cheater even makes it through the NAPLEX and the State Boards.

The steriod used is probably discovered by a drugscreening and the drugscreening wouldn't have been in place unless someone told on somebody way back when drug usage wasn't widely used. I rather be call a rat than consider what kind of person am I loyal to?

We had a test in Bio today. As I was leaving the room, one of the Premed students was frantically going through his blackberry. From what I can tell, he was scrolling too fast to be reading emails. I was hoping he wasn't cheating. If he was cheating, I feel sorry for the guy. He is that desparate and it's not even med school yet. Anyways, when I got home, I shoot the prof an email so he'll be aware of the situation. I didn't give out any names, because I am not 100% positive that he is cheating. But the prof needs to know those expensive gadgets we all have in our pockets.

Like some have said, it totally depends on the professor, but in all of my classes in pharmacy school you are prohibited from using any electronic device except for a scientific calculator when needed during tests. We aren't even allowed to have our bags next to us. We have to have them put against the walls or in the study rooms adjacent to the classroom during testing. You were right to not give names but at the very least apprise the prof of the situation so they can be more careful in administering tests in the future.

When they kill a patient. They will have a lot of guilt, and a potentially large lawsuit on their hands.

I'd rather rat a cheater out than to have them kill a patient in order for them to realize that cheating is wrong.

Like some have said, it totally depends on the professor, but in all of my classes in pharmacy school you are prohibited from using any electronic device except for a scientific calculator when needed during tests. We aren't even allowed to have our bags next to us. We have to have them put against the walls or in the study rooms adjacent to the classroom during testing. You were right to not give names but at the very least apprise the prof of the situation so they can be more careful in administering tests in the future.

Since there are ~400 students in most of my classes, we have our bags next to us. But we're not allowed to use graphing calculators or wear caps or hats, and we're supposed to write the names of people sitting on our left and right sides, and show our student ID or Driver's License when turning in exams (since some students have hired test takers or asked friends to take exams for them).

I'd rather rat a cheater out than to have them kill a patient in order for them to realize that cheating is wrong.

You would think that, but some people aren't sane enough to realize that.

When they kill a patient. They will have a lot of guilt, and a potentially large lawsuit on their hands.

And you don't have any guilt that your own inaction led to someone's death. I'm sure the patient's family would like to directly thank you by including you, and the hospital in their lawsuit.

From reading your posts, you and LD Fan go from comparing the death of a patient to steroid use in MLB. I'm sorry but whats the correlation there? Do you think before you post, or you just post whatever that comes up in that brain of yours?

Back on topic: I wonder how many of the people that condone cheating, are cheaters themselves. Because if they don't see a problem with ongoing cheating in the classrooms, where will they draw the line?

patients dying as a result of people cheating on tests? correlating the mlb to people dying isn't the only nonsense occurring in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.