Should you report this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya do have a point.

I'm going to make my argument simple: I don't condone cheating.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of selective reading going on. All he's saying that he wouldn't get any satisfaction or good feeling out of ratting somebody out. He would rather just do his work legitimately and mind his own business.

Basically, you'll get a better high knowing that you did it the right way, compared to the cheater, who had to cheat. Whether you turn them in or not, doesn't matter.

This is kind of a different scenario, but if fireworks were illegal in your city, and you knew your neighbor/friend was illegally distributing fireworks, would you call the police on them? No, you wouldn't.

I read his post correctly. You did not read mine correctly. I wouldn't feel bad reporting a cheater. THEY ARE CHEATING! They don't deserve any good graces from me. Please. I wouldn't feel good about myself knowing that I didn't report that, but obviously that's just me.

Again. What he said was that he would feel better knowing that he did it the legit way and that the satisfaction that he would get from acing a class the legit way would be much greater than whatever satisfaction he'd get by turning in a cheater.

He never said he'd feel bad about turning in a cheater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again. What he said was that he would feel better knowing that he did it the legit way and that the satisfaction that he would get from acing a class the legit way would be much greater than whatever satisfaction he'd get by turning in a cheater.

He never said he'd feel bad about turning in a cheater.

I got what he said. I gave MY opinion of the situation and what I would do. I understand that he would rather leave it alone. What I am saying is that that type of inaction is dishonest itself, IMO. I don't see why this is so difficult for you to understand.

I got what he said. I gave MY opinion of the situation and what I would do. I understand that he would rather leave it alone. What I am saying is that that type of inaction is dishonest itself, IMO. I don't see why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Look, some people just don't being whistle blowers. In a lot of places snitching isn't welcome. I know it might be the right thing to do but for some its innate nature not to snitch. If you honestly have a problem talk to the person who is cheating. I know it sounds tough guy attitude but confronting the person 1st would be better than jumping to conclusions.

personally, i have never cheated on an exam, because I never felt the necessity, I think it's a pretty desperate measure, especially considering the stringent consequences. having said all that, I would NEVER turn someone in for cheating on an exam because their poor choices are not my business. cheating ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS catches up with you. whether you not being ready for the final and doing poorly, or getting caught sooner or later, cheating NEVER goes unoticed. besides, it's truly impossible to cheat on an upper division biology/chemistry class, there is just far too much intricate detail and the shere amount of knowledge that must be gained for each midterm is just far too massive for anyone to be able to effectively cheat on

I think in KY state law it is illegal if a pharmacist is aware of another pharmacist's illegal activity and doesn't report it, I'll look up the statute later to double check though.

personally, i have never cheated on an exam, because I never felt the necessity, I think it's a pretty desperate measure, especially considering the stringent consequences. having said all that, I would NEVER turn someone in for cheating on an exam because their poor choices are not my business. cheating ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS catches up with you. whether you not being ready for the final and doing poorly, or getting caught sooner or later, cheating NEVER goes unoticed. besides, it's truly impossible to cheat on an upper division biology/chemistry class, there is just far too much intricate detail and the shere amount of knowledge that must be gained for each midterm is just far too massive for anyone to be able to effectively cheat on

Exactly

Its really discouraging that there are so many people who would ignore cheaters and not turn them in. Would you not say anything to the person after the exam if it was someone you knew?

Look, some people just don't being whistle blowers. In a lot of places snitching isn't welcome. I know it might be the right thing to do but for some its innate nature not to snitch. If you honestly have a problem talk to the person who is cheating. I know it sounds tough guy attitude but confronting the person 1st would be better than jumping to conclusions.

I'm curious as to what kind of gradient you operate on with your "no snitching" policy. If you saw someone that you knew rob and injury someone, would you report it? Or do you have a blanket no snitching policy that covers all misdeeds?

If the class is curved then I would definitely say something discretely to the professor, once I am aware.
If the class is not curved, I think you definitely did the right thing.

I use to date a girl that cheated and stole her way through undergrad, and into pharmacy school, and is currently in her 4th year in U. of Michigan PharmD program. I should have turned her in during undergrad, but I choose not to mainly because I thought karma would catch up to her and I was dating her. She got arrested numerous times for shoplifting, and through plea bargaining and straight up lies, her sentences were either reduced, or no one pressed charges. If she got caught cheating, she's come up with some sob story and puppy eyes. She always got away in the end.

She never studied for a single test, she basically always conned someone into taking her test (usually some geeky, desperate geek) or into giving her answers, or got a hold of a test before hand (through her sorority), or dated TA's just to get tests, or hang out with other cheaters (I scratch your back, you scratch mine). There was nothing she wasn't willing to do to get ahead. I talked to her and pleaded with her, and she wouldn't listen. Eventually, I broke up with her because she had "issues" (i.e. shoplifiting on dates, asking me to take part in her schemes, etc). She had what I called the "refugee mentality"...do whatever it takes to "make it", including hurting others. She didn't see anything wrong with what she was doing.

So it isn't impossible to cheat in upper division classes, its quite the opposite. She may not be cheating in pharmacy school (I haven't talked to her since she moved to pharmacy school) anymore, but she doesn't deserve to be in any grad. program, but if you ask her, she would probably say "why do I care what other think, I'm in pharmacy school and their not."

I'm not bitter because it took me longer to get into pharm. school the legit way, I'm bitter because in hindsight many of my friends who would love to be in her shoes, but couldn't because their grades were borderline (and wouldn't cheat even if offered). I'm bitter because there are actually people like her out there, and karma hasn't, and probably will never catch up with them. I'm bitter because their is a great possibililty that she will graduate and become a pharmacist with very questionable moral and ethical values. So now you guys know why I personally hate cheaters.

P.S. Many people who know her want to rat her out, many hoped she would get burned just like how she burned others, but just like me, we thought the system would catch up with her, or think the next person will rat her out. Apparently, it hasn't because nobody ever wants to get involved.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ethanol, welcome to the real world. Nothing ever happens to cheaters, they just get away with it and that's it.

computer fart...double post

it's not nice to cheat but if everyone gets the opportunity to cheat because the professor forgot to erase the chalkboard or take down a poster full of notes, then I'd go for it!

if you knew your stuff ahead of time, then you'd not have to resort to cheating anyway and do tell the professor that someone cheated if he unfairly jacked up the curve and most likely, he wasn't ready for the exam BUT ready to cheat on the exam anyway.

Besides, don't you know what happens to people who snitch or rat other out? They get whacked or rubbed out. :laugh:

If I knew my friend was cheating, I'd talk to my friend about it and let them know that if they need tutoring or something, I could help out. But I would not go to the professor and get them kicked out of school.

On my WesternU interview I got asked: "If you see your friend/classmate cheating on the exam, what would you do?"
I do not know what response the expected from me, but I said: "I would talk to my friens after the test and ask him/her to "turn her/himself in:laugh:". If he/she would not, I would report what I saw to the instructor". Would I really tell on my friend? NO.

Other than that, during exams I am too busy looking at my test and writing, so I do not have time to look around the class and check on cheaters.

I use to date a girl that cheated and stole her way through undergrad, and into pharmacy school, and is currently in her 4th year in U. of Michigan PharmD program.

She got arrested numerous times for shoplifting, and through plea bargaining and straight up lies, her sentences were either reduced, or no one pressed charges. If she got caught cheating, she's come up with some sob story and puppy eyes. She always got away in the end.

She never studied for a single test, she basically always conned someone into taking her test (usually some geeky, desperate geek) or into giving her answers, or got a hold of a test before hand (through her sorority), or dated TA's just to get tests, or hang out with other cheaters (I scratch your back, you scratch mine).

So it isn't impossible to cheat in upper division classes, its quite the opposite. She may not be cheating in pharmacy school (I haven't talked to her since she moved to pharmacy school) anymore, but she doesn't deserve to be in any grad. program, but if you ask her, she would probably say "why do I care what other think, I'm in pharmacy school and their not."

P.S. Many people who know her want to rat her out, many hoped she would get burned just like how she burned others, but just like me, we thought the system would catch up with her, or think the next person will rat her out. Apparently, it hasn't because nobody ever wants to get involved.

So she cheated her way through undergrad and into pharm school. Hmm...

Arrested numerous times...no charges?
Never studied a single test.....
Conned a geek into taking her test....
She dated TA's? (what's a TA? sounds like she was cheating on you. lol)

What was her PCAT score? I believe you need a high PCAT to get in to UofMichigan since they're in the top 10 ranking(uspharmd.com). I'm assuming she did pretty well on it. My point is, how can she get a high score on PCAT, if she never studied. She must've known her material. (Is it possible cheat a PCAT test?)

Your story sounds like it's based on a true story, filtered with super hollywood effects. I have only 3 words.

Unreal. Impossible. And Unpossible lol

If you are unsure of what to do. Ask yourself, What would Jesus Do? Would he snitch?

I think not. And Because of that, I wouldn't either.

I can sense the next candidate question, "WWJD if he saw someone commit murder?"

Answer is... it's Unpossible.

If you are unsure of what to do. Ask yourself, What would Jesus Do? Would he snitch?

I think not. And Because of that, I wouldn't either.

I can sense the next candidate question, "WWJD if he saw someone commit murder?"

Answer is... it's Unpossible.

Are you joking ?

Well.. What do you think?

:laugh:

Well.. What do you think?

:laugh:

I don't know, considering that this is a pre-pharm forum and most pre-pharm students have a strong science background, I don't know if most people here ask themselves what would Jesus do. Science and religion usually do not go together very well.

I don't know, considering that this is a pre-pharm forum and most pre-pharm students have a strong science background, I don't know if most people here ask themselves what would Jesus do. Science and religion usually do not go together very well.

Unless of course if you plan on being one of those pharmacists who denies people their prescription for morning after pills and birth control.

Your definition of ratting is somewhat scewed. Ratting is going to the library administration and reporting that a couple in the study room next to you is having sex. That is considered ratting. Reporting to your professor that a fellow student is cheating is not ratting.

And what is it then, snitching, whistle-blowing, other adjective? what's the difference if they are synonims? I assume you live a very, very long time here in America. Where you come from, a self-respecting man will never shake a snitcher's hand.

And what is it then, snitching, whistle-blowing, other adjective? what's the difference if they are synonims? I assume you live a very, very long time here in America. Where you come from, a self-respecting man will never shake a snitcher's hand.

You're in professional school, or a prospective professional school student. I don't expect an individual to act anything but professional. If someone acts inappropriately by cheating, that's not only a disrespect to the school, but the professional as a whole. As heath care students, we're suppose to be the people that others trust with their lives. Don't you think that it is our responsibility to maintain that respect?

There has been countless instances where doctors or pharmacists have been abusing their powers and making money illegally by selling them into the black market. I'm inclined to think that someone who cheated their way through school is more likely to be one of these people.

I do understand that turning someone in would be a little awkward, difficult etc, and sometimes we are very uncomfortable doing it. But I find it weird how you're putting the blame on the person who is doing the right thing and making them out as the bad guy.

I'm curious as to what kind of gradient you operate on with your "no snitching" policy. If you saw someone that you knew rob and injury someone, would you report it? Or do you have a blanket no snitching policy that covers all misdeeds?

Calling in an injury or robbery isn't snitching. And by the way can you name me one glorified snitch? No you can't because snitching is frowned upon everywhere. Thats why when people break big stories to newspapers they stay anonymous. No one likes a rat.

Unless of course if you plan on being one of those pharmacists who denies people their prescription for morning after pills and birth control.

Actually, I would deny those prescriptions for anyone who is under the age of 40 on the charge of them committing SWS (Sex While Stupid).

Besides, if the cheating doesn't catch up to them in this life, it will catch up to them in the after life.

Calling in an injury or robbery isn't snitching. And by the way can you name me one glorified snitch? No you can't because snitching is frowned upon everywhere. Thats why when people break big stories to newspapers they stay anonymous. No one likes a rat.

The key is that it was reported, whether it was anonymous or not. You just proved my point that there are a lot of people out there that would do the right thing. People don't report wrong doings just to get attention or "be glorified." They do it because it is the right thing to do. I'm sure a lot of families are happy that "a rat" reported a crime against a family member.

Snitching on a person depends on the situation. If you steal or kill, I will snitch. If you cheat on Bio exam, I will not snitch.

That person doesn't know what he's doing. Let the man learn his lesson. You can't cheat forever. Sooner or later he will get caught or realize what he's doing is wrong. People do not need to snitch. He paid his tuition fees. If he doesn't want to learn, then let him be. If you want to help, then talk to him after class. Tell him he doesn't need to cheat, and let him know you can help him out if he doesn't understand the material.

Oh....and I try not to believe when people exaggerate and say, "He/she cheated his/her way into a 4 year doctorate program." Suppose a student really cheated his/her way into pharm school. That student now has to pay $20k +-/yr tuition, and If he/she didn't learn anything in undergrad because he/she supposedly "cheated his/her way in" then he/she will eventually fail and will lose $20k.

Where I come from life is completely different ,the entire educational system is corrupt in it's core and whether you cheat or not has little to do with your actual grades.You can ace and exam completely and still fail it unless you pay the professor to pass it. You have to bribe people right and left if you want top have good grades and it doesn't matter if you study like a slave or if you cheat. Passing an exam depends on how much money you have.

Actually, I would deny those prescriptions for anyone who is under the age of 40 on the charge of them committing SWS (Sex While Stupid).

Besides, if the cheating doesn't catch up to them in this life, it will catch up to them in the after life.

You talk big but are you yourself willing to subject to yourself to the same principles ? Wait untill you have too much Vodka and have a coyote morning the next day with a chick that seemed like a fairy a night before.:laugh:You'll run to the pharmacy first thing in the morning and probably forget you ever came up with a SWS.

I certainly don't want someone who cheated their way through med school as my doctor or pharmacist.

-you speak as if cramming to get an A or barely passing has a barring on how much you know as a health practitioner...exams are bunch of bull****....its just bunch of hoops for you to jump through...

You talk big but are you yourself willing to subject to yourself to the same principles ? Wait untill you have too much Vodka and have a coyote morning the next day with a chick that seemed like a fairy a night before.:laugh:You'll run to the pharmacy first thing in the morning and probably forget you ever came up with a SWS.

Ah, but I don't drink. Besides, doesn't everyone carry protection?

I use to date a girl that cheated and stole her way through undergrad, and into pharmacy school, and is currently in her 4th year in U. of Michigan PharmD program. I should have turned her in during undergrad, but I choose not to mainly because I thought karma would catch up to her and I was dating her. She got arrested numerous times for shoplifting, and through plea bargaining and straight up lies, her sentences were either reduced, or no one pressed charges. If she got caught cheating, she's come up with some sob story and puppy eyes. She always got away in the end.

She never studied for a single test, she basically always conned someone into taking her test (usually some geeky, desperate geek) or into giving her answers, or got a hold of a test before hand (through her sorority), or dated TA's just to get tests, or hang out with other cheaters (I scratch your back, you scratch mine). There was nothing she wasn't willing to do to get ahead. I talked to her and pleaded with her, and she wouldn't listen. Eventually, I broke up with her because she had "issues" (i.e. shoplifiting on dates, asking me to take part in her schemes, etc). She had what I called the "refugee mentality"...do whatever it takes to "make it", including hurting others. She didn't see anything wrong with what she was doing.

I'm not bitter because it took me longer to get into pharm. school the legit way, I'm bitter because in hindsight many of my friends who would love to be in her shoes, but couldn't because their grades were borderline (and wouldn't cheat even if offered). I'm bitter because there are actually people like her out there, and karma hasn't, and probably will never catch up with them. I'm bitter because their is a great possibililty that she will graduate and become a pharmacist with very questionable moral and ethical values. So now you guys know why I personally hate cheaters.

your story sounds pretty contrived, not saying that you're prevaricating, but it definitely seems that you are exaggerating quite a lot! listen, no one even pretends to think that the system is perfect, after all, it's designed by humans, how can it be? sure, there are extreme cases here and there, surely people fall through the cracks, cheat the system and get far in life, but for the most part the system WORKS and it's not up to us to enforce it.

who do you guys think you are, a police force of somekind? you're never going to stop people from cheating or trying to gain an unfair advantage, it's just part of life. just do your thing and be proud of your hard, fair efforts and don't waste your time and energy thinking about all the liars and cheaters.

Ah, but I don't drink. Besides, doesn't everyone carry protection?

I don't drink either:luck:, as for protection you would think so but judging by all the crazy stories I hear around school I guess not.

who do you guys think you are, a police force of somekind? you're never going to stop people from cheating or trying to gain an unfair advantage, it's just part of life. just do your thing and be proud of your hard, fair efforts and don't waste your time and energy thinking about all the liars and cheaters.

I think it is pretty justified to tell someone who is cheating off of you to bugger off. These people are your rivals, they are competing for the same spots that you are and they're using an unfair advantage to screw you over. I think that fair is fair, if they're cheating, then they are taking the risk of discovery.

your story sounds pretty contrived, not saying that you're prevaricating, but it definitely seems that you are exaggerating quite a lot! listen, no one even pretends to think that the system is perfect, after all, it's designed by humans, how can it be? sure, there are extreme cases here and there, surely people fall through the cracks, cheat the system and get far in life, but for the most part the system WORKS and it's not up to us to enforce it.

sad thing for the most part I wasn't exaggerating (only part that I exaggerated is the part where she didn't study, she did go to class, and do cram sessions to a point where she probably could pass her class without cheating). I do agree with that the system for the most part catches cheaters, and cheaters who do make it to upper division classes, or grad school, experience diminishing returns if they continue to cheat. The problem is that in extreme cases, such as my ex, some do beat the system, and I'm unfortunate to have known one of them (who keeps popping up in my life sporadically).

At first, this thread was kind of fun to read, but now it's just a bunch of

:beat::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:

Where I come from life is completely different ,the entire educational system is corrupt in it's core and whether you cheat or not has little to do with your actual grades.You can ace and exam completely and still fail it unless you pay the professor to pass it. You have to bribe people right and left if you want top have good grades and it doesn't matter if you study like a slave or if you cheat. Passing an exam depends on how much money you have.

This is about as true as saying that no student in America can get an "A" without sleeping with his/hers professor. May be there is a professor who won't give you an A without getting a little something, but he won't last very long. Personally I've never heard of such thing, and i graduated from 2 faculties and got through 120-140 exams and tests, and i know hundreds of people from dozens of cities. At 1 of these faculties, I don't know anyone who gave anything to anybody.
Anyways, I was talking about ratting in general and not about educational system

You're in professional school, or a prospective professional school student. I don't expect an individual to act anything but professional. If someone acts inappropriately by cheating, that's not only a disrespect to the school, but the professional as a whole. As heath care students, we're suppose to be the people that others trust with their lives. Don't you think that it is our responsibility to maintain that respect?

That's a bunch of snitcher's excuses, professional school, healthcare students, doctors ets. You may start with turning in your felow students, then you''ll call police about a homeless guy drinking bear in the park , you'll call IRS to check whether your cousen reported that $2000 ring she got from a grandma, you'll call about your neighbours having chickens in their backyard, ets, ets, ets. There are weak people who are forced to be snitches, but its almost never the case since there is always 'a volontier".

There has been countless instances where doctors or pharmacists have been abusing their powers and making money illegally by selling them into the black market. I'm inclined to think that someone who cheated their way through school is more likely to be one of these people.

I tell you what, a few months ago i had to do a lot of dental work . So my first dentist found 11 cavities and said that i have to put 2 crowns on top of them. But, i worked in sales for a very long time and can see a horse**** from a very long distance, so i knew pretty much what this guy is going to say even before he looked in my mouth. To top off my expectatitons, he said that he is very honest guy and never does more than he 'has' to. So obviously i got 2 more exams with other dentists in my town. They had the same verdict : 7 cavities, no need for crowns whatsoever. So, if someones is trying to rob my $3000, i can put him to prison for a very long time, if someone is ruining my teeth in a fight i can put him in prison for a very long time, but if one has a dental licence he/she gets a pass. As the other dentist said: 'well, i guess he was just "more thorough" than I am. " None of the two suggested that I should do something with that 'dentist", talk about fierce competition in a small town. So how is a piece of **** like that becomes a dentist, by cheating on exams? No, he was just born this way and just happened to like money, which led him to dentistry.

But I find it weird how you're putting the blame on the person who is doing the right thing and making them out as the bad guy.

"Doing the right thing", "I am supposed to" , "Its illegal not to " Whatever makes you happy man. Just don't expect any kind of trust/friendship from anyone around you as long as you live.

PS I have a friend who recently found out destiny of his lost uncle. So he was arrested in Siberia in 1939 and 3 months later he was executed in Kamchatka ( that's Siberia for Siberians ). In the paragraph " Accusation handled" he found "no accusation ".
I am sure someone did the right thing, as he was supposed to, in his case too. Remember , the road to hell is paved with most noble intentions.

It's like when you walk down the street and see a guy beating his wife. Do you report it or mind your own business?

Do you really think that's a fair analogy? Seriously?

Actually, I was just trying to get the point across. Where do you draw the line? In any other profession a little wrongdoing doesn't involve people's life. The medical profession does involve trust and people's life in your hand. To ordinary people, a pharmist can still a few bottle of tylenols, but what's stopping that pharmacist from taking some more serious drugs if no one reports them at the initial theft?

"Doing the right thing", "I am supposed to" , "Its illegal not to " Whatever makes you happy man. Just don't expect any kind of trust/friendship from anyone around you as long as you live.

I don't need to be friends with cheaters. They might try to cheat off of me :)

PS I have a friend who recently found out destiny of his lost uncle. So he was arrested in Siberia in 1939 and 3 months later he was executed in Kamchatka ( that's Siberia for Siberians ). In the paragraph " Accusation handled" he found "no accusation ".
I am sure someone did the right thing, as he was supposed to, in his case too. Remember , the road to hell is paved with most noble intentions.

I don't know the nature of the crime, so I can't comment. But if you saw someone murdering your neighbor, I'm sure you would call the cops, no?

There are many circumstances to which telling the authorities may not be the right thing to do, but I do not think that cheating is one of them. Cheating is grounds for failing or expulsion at academic institutions for a reason. For lack of a better word, they are cheating. I know that it may be difficult to turn someone in, and many are not inclined to do so, but to suggest that it is the person who does turn in a cheater is a horrible person is pretty disgusting to me.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for cheaters.

That's a bunch of snitcher's excuses, professional school, healthcare students, doctors ets. You may start with turning in your felow students, then you''ll call police about a homeless guy drinking bear in the park , you'll call IRS to check whether your cousen reported that $2000 ring she got from a grandma, you'll call about your neighbours having chickens in their backyard, ets, ets, ets. There are weak people who are forced to be snitches, but its almost never the case since there is always 'a volontier".

I think when I am preparing your daughter's chemotherapy I'm just going to cheat a little and only use half the active ingrediant. No one will report me right? So its ok? Someone wouldn't dare be a snitch and report me, I'm just trying to make some extra cash by using less of those expensive drugs. Your daughter is probably going to die anyway so it doesn't matter, right?

If you don't have the balls to report a cheater that's fine. Go slither into your corner like the snake that you are, because you're not better than the cheater themselves. Don't you dare call somebody a snitch because they are doing the right thing that you're cowardly *** is to chicken **** to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.