Showdown time! LECOM vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeths

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a heads up... you can apply for the 3 year HPSP if it's too late for the 4 year.

Reactions: 1 user
Because you definitely want to specialize...NYU. Good luck and congrats on the acceptances!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, yes. Get the ball rolling on the HPSP - very smart. I applied for the Army one in February/March (missed the April board meeting by a hair) and I almost made it for the 4 year - but got OML'd and ended up taking the 3 year scholarship. So it is NOT too late to get an HPSP, especially for the Army. You will still have a good chance of getting the 4 year scholarship if you get your application out there now. Once it gets to the April board meeting you are starting to push your luck for the 4 year, but still have a great shot at the 3 year if your stats are pretty good. They pick the 3 year scholarship people right off of the 4 year OML list. If you have any more questions about the HPSP feel free to PM me.

As far as the school goes; if for some reason you do not land an HPSP scholarship, I would go to the cheaper school. The reason is that the 50K difference turns into a 100-150k difference throughout repayment. This is purely my point of view from a financial aspect. As far as specializing goes, I don't really know which one is better, but my guess would be NYU since it is well established compared to LECOM.

Either way, congrats and good luck on your decision.

Im faving a very similar financial dilemma between lemcom and another, morr expensive school (roseman). This is tough, man.

Put down a deposit at NYU and don't look back. Given what you want and the (good) chances of you getting what you want, I think you should take the risk!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your input so far!

The only thing is... I can't really afford to put both deposits down, so I won't know if I'll be getting the HPSP until I've already chosen a school!

I am sure you can.. forget about christmas shopping for this year... ;)

If you're adamant about specializing, which it seems you are, go to NYU and don't look back

It sounds to me like you really want to go to NYU. I'd just put my deposit down for NYU and not look back. If you get the HPSP, great. If not, you will still be happy because you want to go to NYU

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How competitive is the HPSP scholarship? Is it easier to get a 3 year one once you're in dental school? Teeths, what if you went to NYU and didn't receive the scholarship, would paying that much still be ok with you?

I agree with the rest it sounds that you really want to go to NYU, but you're feeling guilty about the cost difference.

How competitive is the HPSP scholarship? Is it easier to get a 3 year one once you're in dental school? Teeths, what if you went to NYU and didn't receive the scholarship, would paying that much still be ok with you?
I was told by my recruiter that the 3 year scholarship is more competitive... since they are low in numbers.

this is for army by the way..

Last edited:
I would NOT go to NYU without HPSP. 65 k difference is huge and with interest, its going to be even worse. Also, living in NYC is crazy expensive. I live in NJ, visited the city many times and, have friends that live there.... You need to have a thick wallet to survive in New York.

I don't know about Navy and Army, but the there are more 3-year Air Force scholarships than 4-year (about 30-40 compared to 10-15). You do need better stats for the air force though.

I don't know about Navy and Army, but the there are more 3-year Air Force scholarships than 4-year (about 30-40 compared to 10-15). You do need better stats for the air force though.
I know that for the army there are about 70 4-year scholarships each year, and about 35 3-year scholarships.

Hello again teeths!!

I've recently been racking my brain for the past week deciding between LECOM and Nova. Loved them both. But I've chosen Nova because at the end of the day, they've got the statistics, the reputation (for both dental and med school which my significant other is interested in) and my friends are here because I'm in undergrad 20 mins away :happy:. And also I would have the chance of specializing (even though my major interest is currently in public health). :)

Personally I am not a fan of NYU because I'm not a fan of living in NYC (i'm a Brooklynite, i'm allowed to say that :p), but thinking in terms of life after you get your DMD/DDS, NYU might benefit you just a bit more. Especially if you get HPSP.

Good luck and Congrats again!! :thumbup:

I wouldn't recommend LECOM over any school. Regardless of price. NYU all the way.

Why is that? I'm seriously considering LECOM (over Roseman). Looking at their estimate cost of attendance (factoring the each schools' estimate cost of living) I could save over $100K over four years by going to LECOM. I'm not planning on applying to HPSP, so cost is a huge deal. Nevertheless, PBL is concerning. Also i wasn't a huge fan of Florida.

edit: Also, while offsite rotations do allow for a lot clinical hours (that's fantastic!), I don't like the idea of having to move again in my 4th year.

Last edited:
Why is that? I'm seriously considering LECOM (over Roseman). Looking at their estimate cost of attendance (factoring the each schools' estimate cost of living) I could save over $100K over four years by going to LECOM. I'm not planning on applying to HPSP, so cost is a huge deal. Nevertheless, PBL is concerning. Also i wasn't a huge fan of Florida.
After visiting LECOM, I was actually impressed. I really liked their clinic rotations! LECOM is a good choice I think. Many people hate LECOM because it is a new school.

After visiting LECOM, I was actually impressed. I really liked their clinic rotations! LECOM is a good choice I think. Many people hate LECOM because it is a new school.

There are plenty of new schools these days, but the SDN community really seems to hate on LECOM quite a bit.

Another vote for NYU. This is one example where I would overlook the price difference, even if it encroaches past 6 figures.

SDNers will always choose the other dental school over LECOM even if that other dental school is Kim Jong Un University-College of Dentistry.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
SDNers will always choose the other dental school over LECOM even if that other dental school is Kim Jong Un University-College of Dentistry.

As long as we get a chance to play ball with Dennis Rodman.

Reactions: 3 users
Let me try to help you brother/sister
No matter which school you are choosing, YOU ARE MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION, you will have some regrets either way but that's just part of life. All the pros and cons are mere speculations, LECOM could turn to be the best school ever in the next years or you could win the lottery and find a 500K/year salary and afford the NYU debt. No matter how much you try to control your life there will be always challenges that you need to face and overcome. This is coming from someone who had a chance to graduate dentistry in 2012 with $0 DEBT but the circumstances just wouldn't allow it, nonetheless I'm back on my feet and will be attending a great a school.

You're still in a better situation than 5000+ applicants that will get rejected, so go with your guts and with some hard work you will be a great dentist.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't recommend LECOM over any school. Regardless of price. NYU all the way.
As I recalled, you were once waiting for Lecom acceptance too. I understand that you got accepted into another school, but there's no need for bashing out the school like this. You make it sound like Lecom is a JOKE or something. I think every school got its pros and cons, you just have to weigh it out to see what fits you best.

There's another I guess "con" to NYU that has failed to be mentioned here, and let me start by saying whatever choice you make is the right one. NYU's clinical aspect requires you to complete (can't remember the exact figure) $100-$130k in dental work in your four years, while in school, and if they check up on you and you're not where you need to be finances wise with their number, they will give you the boot. Just keep up with it and you should be fine, and if specializing in pediatrics is your calling then do what you gotta do

Source: Cousins Boss who is a Professor at NYUs dental school

As I recalled, you were once waiting for Lecom acceptance too. I understand that you got accepted into another school, but there's no need for bashing out the school like this. You make it sound like Lecom is a JOKE or something. I think every school got its pros and cons, you just have to weigh it out to see what fits you best.

lecom sucks…simple fact.

Thanks for researching my past posts. I'm going to apologize now to current students, but I really do think LECOM is a JOKE. Sorry for hurting any feelings, but I'm not going to lie about it. If you honestly feel like you want to pay 350k to teach yourself and be a part of some weird experiment be my guest, but I would always pick a school that is historically known for training good dentists if I'm going to spend this much money.

Here's the real question. If LECOM was the only school you got into, would you have waited an entire cycle for another school given how much of a "joke" you think it is? Because in the end, you're still getting accredited as a dentist from an accredited dental school no?

Also keep in mind Swoops is just one guy among the masses.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I was accepted into multiple schools. I have already chosen to attend LECOM. LECOM is an excellent school with experienced and knowledgeable faculty. The list of faculty is provided online for anybody who may doubt that. I must say that their backgrounds are quite impressive. Also, I believe that the clinical experience provided to me at LECOM will be indispensable for a successful career in dentistry. And I will certainly pass the boards. I have no doubts regarding that.

PBL is implemented by many schools, including Harvard Dental and USC Dental. Also, LECOM is not 100% PBL. The curriculum includes traditional lectures. Many dental schools are in the process of transitioning their curriculum to PBL (which was in fact brought up at one of my interviews at another school). Also, I have heard many complaints from students attending more "established" schools. I appreciate the fact that LECOM's faculty is so adaptive to their students needs.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted into multiple schools. I have already chosen to attend LECOM. LECOM is an excellent school with experienced and knowledgeable faculty. The list of faculty is provided online for anybody who may doubt that. I must say that their backgrounds are quite impressive. Also, I believe that the clinical experience provided to me at LECOM will be indispensable for a successful career in dentistry. And I will certainly pass the boards. I have no doubts regarding that.

PBL is implemented by many schools, including Harvard Dental and USC Dental. Also, LECOM is not 100% PBL. The curriculum includes traditional lectures. Many dental schools are in the process of transitioning their curriculum to PBL (which was in fact brought up at one of my interviews at another school). Also, I have heard many complaints from students attending more "established" schools. I appreciate the fact that LECOM's faculty is so adaptive to their students needs.

I could not have said better !!!

Translation:

I haven't been accepted to any other schools.

Much pro
such con
many decision
wow

Here's the real question. If LECOM was the only school you got into, would you have waited an entire cycle for another school given how much of a "joke" you think it is? Because in the end, you're still getting accredited as a dentist from an accredited dental school no?

Also keep in mind Swoops is just one guy among the masses.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

If you just want a degree that sounds great. But that doesn't guarantee you'll be a competent dentist.

I haven't been accepted anywhere but I took myself off the LECOM waitlist because I really felt like it was a joke because they don't do waxing, they use virtual anatomy instead of cadavers, pbl taught by non dentists, and nobody knows what's going on. I would rather reapply than go to a school without knowing I'll get a good education since loans don't repay themselves.

$355-360k for LECOM and
$415k for NYU.
I'm going to contact an Army recruiter Monday and hopefully I can get the ball rolling on the HPSP. I just pray that I get it and it's not too late for that.

If you go MIL it doesnt matter. I would personally pick NYU because of the location. LECOM has no name and has no reason to charge you an arm and a leg for its classes... its highway robbery. Lastly, you should go Navy...

Hey Teeths! I'm curious as to what your decision is now that everyone has been weighing in on the matter :p Before I put in my two cents, just make sure you choose the school that makes you feel most comfortable and makes you feel at peace. You will be spending 4 years of your life there (maybe more if you decide to specialize there) and you want to make sure it's somewhere worth the student debt.

If you want to specialize then definitely go with NYU. I think every school has it's cons and I think Lecom is a great school for anyone that solely intends on becoming a general dentist but I didn't like the fact that Lecom limits your possibility of specializing if that is what you intend to do. My dentist went to NYU and graduated the dental school about 15 yrs ago and she told me the clinical experience really prepared her. I think even when she went to school the equipment was a bit outdated lol. Nonetheless you should feel so blessed that you have the decision to select the school best fit for you.

Good luck!!

definitelyy LECOM. my brother goes there and he picked it over USC and NYU. he has no regrets. he says picking based on tuition mostly is the smartest thing to do. highly highly recommend lecom

definitelyy LECOM. my brother goes there and he picked it over USC and NYU. he has no regrets. he says picking based on tuition mostly is the smartest thing to do. highly highly recommend lecom

What year is your brother?

Now we're talking crazy.

So many speculations and untruths. This is flat out false - "pbl taught by non dentists."

If you are referring to Marjorie Bell. She is the only faculty member who does not have a PHD or DDS degree. All dental lectures and PBL sessions are lead by dentists.

If you are referring to Marjorie Bell. She is the only faculty member who does not have a PHD or DDS degree. All dental lectures and PBL sessions are lead by dentists.

Actually, a LECOM student told me that first year PBL sessions are lead by facilitators who don't necessarily have a science or dental background. Dental PBL, which starts 2nd year, are lead by dentists only.

If you just want a degree that sounds great. But that doesn't guarantee you'll be a competent dentist.

I haven't been accepted anywhere but I took myself off the LECOM waitlist because I really felt like it was a joke because they don't do waxing, they use virtual anatomy instead of cadavers, pbl taught by non dentists, and nobody knows what's going on. I would rather reapply than go to a school without knowing I'll get a good education since loans don't repay themselves.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just hope you remember what your goal is next cycle when you apply. More than everything, I wish you good luck.