Showdown time! LECOM vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Teeths,

I think you ought to choose Lecom. Reason being is mainly cost. I read that you want to specialize, so I understand your desire to attend a school that offers grades. However, NYU has an incredibly large class, you will likely not rank high enough in it to be considered for any specialty program.

If you choose Lecom, you will not be ranked, which may work to your advantage.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Teeths,

I think you ought to choose Lecom. Reason being is mainly cost. I read that you want to specialize, so I understand your desire to attend a school that offers grades. However, NYU has an incredibly large class, you will likely not rank high enough in it to be considered for any specialty program.

If you choose Lecom, you will not be ranked, which may work to your advantage.

Best of luck.

Also, LECOM did say they keep your grades on file in case you do decided to specialize.

I found this from an old LECOM thread. It was posted by user preDENT1210:
i applied last year and was waitlisted. i applied this year again, and was waitlisted again. couldn't be happier.

i was so determined to go to lecom last year (since it was my only interview) that i forced myself to like PBL. in the end, do i think PBL is helpful? absolutely. i think it works well in conjunction with lecture based learning. should it be the sole focus of a curriculum? probably not, in my opinion. the whole curriculum seems like a glorified online/distance learning type of deal. i definitely wouldn't have been able to adjust easily to the curriculum.

during my interviews, the dean told us outright, "if you want to specialize--don't come here". "if you want to do research, don't come here".

and when a student asked another question about specialization he said something to the effect of "we're required by the ADA to teach you all the specialties, so we'll do that. we will also keep your grades in the event that you should want to specialize." he said it in such a way that made it seem like it would be dumb to specialize after attending lecom. he also said that he wants to ensure that graduates don't have to go in for an aegd residency.

so unless you are really really really set on being a GP who wants to practice asap without any desire to do research, outreach etc. than lecom would be solid. their vision is promising, and i commend them for that. however the clinical situation has yet to be seen as the clinic probably won't be up and running for some time.

take what i've said with a grain of salt. these are only my opinions/experiences. if lecom is your only acceptance, then take it and know that you'll get a DMD, and if all pans out, you will be a very competent general dentist.

I know nothing of either school, but preDENT1210 seems to have a good reputation on SDN (via post count). It also jumps on what Longcatislong said, about keeping your grades if you decide to specialize. But if what preDENT1210 says is true (I don't see why they would lie), it seems that the main focus of LECOM is to produce general dentists, and you seem to be dead-set on specializing... so it's either NYU with the large class size and extra money, but with a built reputation that could be useful for specializing, or LECOM that is cheaper, not such a solid reputation, and if preDENT1210's words are true, has a focus on producing general dentists.

Here is the original thread if you want to read more: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-or-reapply.969452/

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this from an old LECOM thread. It was posted by user preDENT1210:

I know nothing of either school, but preDENT1210 seems to have a good reputation on SDN (via post count). It also jumps on what Longcatislong said, about keeping your grades if you decide to specialize. But if what preDENT1210 says is true (I don't see why they would lie), it seems that the main focus of LECOM is to produce general dentists, and you seem to be dead-set on specializing... so it's either NYU with the large class size and extra money, but with a built reputation that could be useful for specializing, or LECOM that is cheaper, not such a solid reputation, and if preDENT1210's words are true, has a focus on producing general dentists.

Here is the original thread if you want to read more: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-or-reapply.969452/

I heard them say the same thing when I was interviewed as well. Don't come here (LECOM) if you :

Don't think PBL can work for you
Want to do research
Want to specialize

Their goal is to produce general dentists to work in under served areas, which is why you do so much clinical work (dentures) the first year. With that said, a degree is a degree is a degree is a degree. You'll get to be a dentist if you go to either of them. The question is do you want to be a big fish in a smaller bowl or just another fish in the pacific?

If you can' make up your mind, and financially can swing it, go spend time in each city. See which one you deem the best fit for yourself. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Its just my 2 cents.

Good logic here. I think it's great you feel the way you do about LECOM. I agree that the future of LECOM isn't in question. They will graduate dentists. I just feel that there's so much here-say, and that it's no where close to its potential now, which is important to consider. I too had every intention of specializing and I honestly felt that my chances would be slim to none at LECOM and that was my major deciding factor. Good luck deciding, whatever you decided be happy with and never have regret.
I'm curious about this - have your goals/intentions changed now that school is under way? Thanks for your contributions to this thread, by the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Good logic here. I think it's great you feel the way you do about LECOM. I agree that the future of LECOM isn't in question. They will graduate dentists. I just feel that there's so much here-say, and that it's no where close to its potential now, which is important to consider. I too had every intention of specializing and I honestly felt that my chances would be slim to none at LECOM and that was my major deciding factor. Good luck deciding, whatever you decided be happy with and never have regret.

This is a factual statement and that's very heavily weighing in on my decision. I have to go by the school's current state and not what they will be.

Hey, I'm not on this site much if at all---i just found out about this thread since i was notified by email. if you guys have any questions about NYU, send me a private message or something and i'll give you my email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I ama third year dental student. Have you spoken to any students at LEcoms clinic? A track record is very valuable in terms of clinic. Nyu has a proven record of clinical competency. Our dean even mentioned it along with my son as one of the top clinical schools. If the school has a 3rd or 4th years at LECOM.. Ask what they have done so far in clinic in terms of how many crowns, endo(root canals), fillings, dentures,etc. im not saying this dictates whether a school is good or not, but it gives you a general idea of their standards. At the end of the day. The clinic is the most important and your ability to have patient flow. At temple i dont have to worry about getting patients, at some schools you do. Good luck