Showing appreciation to a doctor you shadowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txprodigal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How would you go about showing your sincere appreciation to a doctor that really had an impact on you when he allowed for you to shadow him?

Also, his charge nurse went out of her way to help.

I was thinking about a thank you card and a box of chocolates for the nurse, but I'm not sure.

The experiences were really amazing, so I want to do something nice for them beyond saying, "thanks: have a good life."

Members don't see this ad.

A thank you card, imo, is sufficient. They work full-time. You're a college student. They can do without the chocolates.

How about a copy of a medical school acceptance letter? (to show that the shadowing was actually useful)

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone in the office of the doctor that I shadowed was a big fan of cheesecake...and I just happen to make a mean cheesecake. they were really happy with that

A thank you card, imo, is sufficient. They work full-time. You're a college student. They can do without the chocolates.

I don't think the point is that i'm a poor post bacc and they're rich full time professionals. I wanted to go the extra mile. Thanks anyway.

How about a copy of a medical school acceptance letter? (to show that the shadowing was actually useful)

It'll be a year and half or so before I could do that, so I wanted to do something more immediate. Thanks

Everyone in the office of the doctor that I shadowed was a big fan of cheesecake...and I just happen to make a mean cheesecake. they were really happy with that

That sounds pretty good. I just thought chocolates, because on the first day, they were just wolfing down a box of them. Thanks.

It'll be a year and half or so before I could do that, so I wanted to do something more immediate. Thanks

True, but I still plan on doing this or at least sending an email with application updates. Same goes for my LOR writers. If I were to help out a premed in a similar way, I would want to know that I was actually helpful (aka helped him get accepted). But chocolate is always good, too! :D

True, but I still plan on doing this or at least sending an email with application updates. Same goes for my LOR writers. If I were to help out a premed in a similar way, I would want to know that I was actually helpful (aka helped him get accepted). But chocolate is always good, too! :D

yeah, i'll definitely do that when the time comes - thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

How would you go about showing your sincere appreciation to a doctor that really had an impact on you when he allowed for you to shadow him?

Also, his charge nurse went out of her way to help.

I was thinking about a thank you card and a box of chocolates for the nurse, but I'm not sure.

The experiences were really amazing, so I want to do something nice for them beyond saying, "thanks: have a good life."

Thank you cards.

i wrote thank you cards and put a starbucks gift card inside, everyone likes coffee lol. :)

I did thank you cards for all the doctors I shadowed (I think I shadowed about 10 of them) and then I sent a itunes card to the doctor who set me up in the department (over 6 months of paper work!), let me shadow her, showed me her lab, and took me to dinner so I could pick her brain.

I ordered the doctor that I'm shadowing now a set of four giant microbes

Giant microbes, you say? I guess you could call them macrobes!

I know you just chuckled at that, don't try to deny it.

The Dr I shadowed this year was great. She went our of her way to be helpful and make my experience a good one. She even let me poke and prod a few patients by the end (with their consent of course). She moved right after my shadowing was done so I sent her an office warming plant as a thank you. More professional IMO than flowers, and still a nice gesture.

I sent doctors I've shadowed thank you cards. Probably sufficient to show your gratitude.