• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

lala83

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
412
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm extremely confused as to what step to take next. i'm waitlisted at 2 schools (pikeville & bradenton), but pikeville has already told me that they rarely even get to their waitlist to admit students. so i don't have much hope of getting in this round.

do i start looking towards the caribbean now? or reapply again/retake the mcat/take more grad classes to strengthen my gpa for next year? anybody else in the same boat as me and considering their options?
 

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
277
0
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do whatever makes you feel best...

BUT, I don't feel that the carib is in your best interest. Try another cycle in the DO applicant pool. Apply broadly. Retake the MCAT if necessary.

What was your u-grad GPA?

Best of luck!
Agree with Maximus. I wouldn't suggest going the carib route. In soem areas DO's are already at a disadvantage for residency, carib are third in the pecking order and you don't want to put yourself in that situation if avoidable.
 
About the Ads

Pansit

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
976
1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm extremely confused as to what step to take next. i'm waitlisted at 2 schools (pikeville & bradenton), but pikeville has already told me that they rarely even get to their waitlist to admit students. so i don't have much hope of getting in this round.

do i start looking towards the caribbean now? or reapply again/retake the mcat/take more grad classes to strengthen my gpa for next year? anybody else in the same boat as me and considering their options?

There is nothing wrong with the Carribbean if you must go there to further your education but from your post it is obvious that you did not intend on going there in the first place, so I would at least give the US schools a second try. You must improve your numbers and apply very very early. If time is a factor and you cant afford to let one year go by, then I would go Carribbean, specifically St. Georges:thumbup:
 

GreenShirt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
1,462
6
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm extremely confused as to what step to take next. i'm waitlisted at 2 schools (pikeville & bradenton), but pikeville has already told me that they rarely even get to their waitlist to admit students. so i don't have much hope of getting in this round.

do i start looking towards the caribbean now? or reapply again/retake the mcat/take more grad classes to strengthen my gpa for next year? anybody else in the same boat as me and considering their options?

Be active while you're on the waitlist at Bradenton. Send them lots of updates and make it clear that you're interested in them. If that doesn't work, really think about whether you want to be an MD or a DO and how much time/money you have for additional training.

In the Carribean, the top three school (Ross, SGU, and SABA) have decent residency match rates. If you want to be an MD and you don't mind going abroad for 2 yrs (those three allow you to do clinicals in the US) then that's a good option. Not to mention they have 3 entering classes a year, so you could still apply right now for the upcoming Fall or Winter session. If you don't get the Fall entry, they automatically bump you to the January start (or sometimes the next summer). It would be the chance to go for the following year.

If you want to stay in the US and become an MD or DO, then it might not be a bad idea to do a masters program here. Some schools offer a one year academic record enhancer program (masters awarded). If you go onto the AAMC website, they have a search engine that allows you to search for these programs by area. Or get a degree in something interesting that might enhance your science or healthcare knowlegde.

That's my two cents based on the research I did for my own back-up plans in case I didn't get in this year. Hope it helps.
 

Orthodoc40

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
3,039
24
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Firstly, don't give up entirely on this year. You obviously got the interest of at least 2 schools. Do everything you can to get off those waitlists. Get a new LOR - a strong one, from a current employer, or someone who knows your work/volunteer experience/classwork - whatever. Send them LOI's, no matter whether you think it will make a difference or not! Be positive, tell them you love them. Keep telling them why you are a great fit for their school.

You could consider adding a few schools to your AACOMAS this year, though it's late. But I know of people that got in to COMP quite late in the cycle last year, for example. It could be a waste of time/money unless you get everything in super fast, but it depends on whether you want to potentially reapply next year if you think it's worth the chance.

IF you don't get in this year, contact schools - especially, but not only, the schools that interviewed you - find out what you need to improve. Don't assume you know. There will be little to no point to reapplying if you don't improve your application somehow, especially by addressing whatever they say they want to see.

Unless you are really urgent to get started, consider waiting a year (or 2, depending on what you're going to address in your application) and reapplying to US schools. There isn't anything wrong w/going Carribean, but unless you're really a lot older than most applicants (over 35?) you shouldn't feel like you're in that big a rush. 1 or 2 years to improve your application isn't that big a deal, otherwise. :luck:
 

lala83

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
412
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
thanks for all the encouraging advice everyone! it really helps, as i feel that you all understand b/c you've been through the process too. i did apply to touro-ny, and they asked me to take the mcat again for further consideration since my gpa's not that strong to counterbalance a weaker score. this was the first time applying for me, so applying in the next cycle isn't such a farfetched idea. i just didn't want to waste any more time, which is why i'm even considering going to the caribbean...but i had gotten so excited about going to a DO school and the DO philosophy/practice, that it's hard to convince myself to go back to the MD route. so hopefully i'll weigh all my options and decide soon. thanks for all the encouragement :)
 

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
3,193
3
43
Speedwell, TN
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
thanks for all the encouraging advice everyone! it really helps, as i feel that you all understand b/c you've been through the process too. i did apply to touro-ny, and they asked me to take the mcat again for further consideration since my gpa's not that strong to counterbalance a weaker score. this was the first time applying for me, so applying in the next cycle isn't such a farfetched idea. i just didn't want to waste any more time, which is why i'm even considering going to the caribbean...but i had gotten so excited about going to a DO school and the DO philosophy/practice, that it's hard to convince myself to go back to the MD route. so hopefully i'll weigh all my options and decide soon. thanks for all the encouragement :)

Well, maybe one of the waitlist spots will work out for you. Hang in there and don't give up. :luck: :luck:
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.