Sigma Sigma Phi - Importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just invited to apply to this. Is SSP similar to AOA?

If I choose not to apply will it be that big of a deal?

Members don't see this ad.

Phi Sigma Alpha (PSA) is actually more similar to AOA, but it doesn't have a check list in ERAS next to AOA whereas SSP does. What is the requirement to obtain SSP at KCU? At one school, someone described SSP was like, "How many Saturdays did you show up to paint a school building down the road?" -- more like extracurricular activity than academic achievement. :laugh: It doesn't hurt to apply though, but say if the extra work interferes the time you need to excel academically or to do research. I wouldn't bother. Ppl match fine without SSP anyway and it doesn't hold the same weight as AOA.

Reactions: 1 user
Phi Sigma Alpha (PSA) is actually more similar to AOA, but it doesn't have a check list in ERAS next to AOA whereas SSP does. What is the requirement to obtain SSP at KCU? At one school, someone described SSP was like, "How many Saturdays did you show up to paint a school building down the road?" -- more like extracurricular activity than academic achievement. :laugh: It doesn't hurt to apply though, but say if the extra work interferes the time you need to excel academically or to do research. I wouldn't bother. Ppl match fine without SSP anyway and it doesn't hold the same weight as AOA.

Well this app is asking for literally a whole resume haha. And I haven't done any community service since med school because I've been fcused on getting my research projects going.

I've never heard of PSA. How is it more similar to AOA?

Members don't see this ad :)
@AlteredScale PSA is purely academic. I believe only 10% of class can get it (why it is more similar to AOA) whereas SSP can go up to like 30% in some schools. Anyway, even if you have both, when applying to ACGME residencies, if the PDs don't know what those are, they wouldn't be brought up during interviews. Hell, aside from SDN population, even many DO students don't even know what SSP is, let alone the non-AOA programs PDs. I know how you are. I would put more time into research, which will look significantly better and be brought up during interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember this topic coming up multiple times. It is not of much use when applying for ACGME residencies, since the PDs don't know squat about it.

something I found from ages ago...

Sigma Sigma Phi and Psi Sigma Alpha are totally different. Sigma Sigma Phi is part academic achievement/part extra curriculars/big part a clique social club. They elect their own members, among the people in the class that have a class rank/GPA making them elegible to participate (which is actually a fair number of people). Curiously, the geek with a higher class ranking gets passed over by the "politician" type...

Psi Sigma Alpha is a national MERIT organization, which inducts the top 5% of the class, based solely on academic merit.

Last edited:
Just invited to apply to this. Is SSP similar to AOA?

If I choose not to apply will it be that big of a deal?

No, but why not?

Edit: The commitment is not as strenuous, if at all, compared to other things such as research. The app shouldn't take the much time. Right now, you have to do 4 hrs of community service a semester.

No, but why not?

Edit: The commitment is not as strenuous, if at all, compared to other things such as research. The app shouldn't take the much time. Right now, you have to do 4 hrs of community service a semester.

I dont have any current community service hours right now because ive been spending a lot of time setiing up an org and my research with a PI here. Would i evn be a competitive applicant though?

I dont have any current community service hours right now because ive been spending a lot of time setiing up an org and my research with a PI here. Would i evn be a competitive applicant though?

Chances are if a competitive organization reaches out to you then you have a chance.

Take a shot at it since you have nothing to lose. It might become a talking point at interviews or something.

Here is my opinion with orgs like this. If you want to do it, go for it. If you don't really care and think it will just boost your app, don't bother. I never joined anything I didn't want to genuinely contribute to. I honestly don't think being in SSP will make the difference between you getting a residency spot over somebody else. It is just a glorified community service fraternity that people at DO schools put on a pedestal because it is the only thing in their school that has some sort of GPA requirement/selection process. On their website it says you just have to be passing your courses..

Here is my opinion with orgs like this. If you want to do it, go for it. If you don't really care and think it will just boost your app, don't bother. I never joined anything I didn't want to genuinely contribute to. I honestly don't think being in SSP will make the difference between you getting a residency spot over somebody else. It is just a glorified community service fraternity that people at DO schools put on a pedestal because it is the only thing in their school that has some sort of GPA requirement/selection process. On their website it says you just have to be passing your courses..

Thanks for the advice! You have to be at the top 30% of the class to be invited actually. But tbh, Idk if it will be worth it since SSP isn't as well known as AOA across the academic community you know?

Wouldn't hurt, I know someone who crammed in a few hours of volunteer and got accepted. Would it hurt you if you don't apply? Not at all.

I am SSP and not a single resident program mentioned anything about it. I have also renewed my membership yearly since medical school and have never once gotten a newsletter, email, or any form of communication from them. Its about as worthwhile as golden key or some other generic "honors" society in undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the importance of research for getting into residencies? I am not particularly interested in research. Can i still get placed into a good residency if I just do well academically and join a few organizations?

Thanks for the advice! You have to be at the top 30% of the class to be invited actually. But tbh, Idk if it will be worth it since SSP isn't as well known as AOA across the academic community you know?

but there is a BBQ reception provided by Jack Stack's in store for you if you get accepted. so....

It means absolutely nothing.

*Member since 2012

Does it require you to do anything? If no, then just do it. If yes, including a fee, forgo it, unless you are trying to apply to an AOA spot.

I mean...Maybe I'll still bite that 100$ bullet...Just in case this was brought up once in however many interviews I receive, then it's worth it...I mean 100$ in the grand scheme of things is quite negligible..

I'm in it. Agree it's a waste

@AlteredScale... Dang, I don't recall that it was that much money to join. Price must have gone up since I was there. There wasn't much to do for it other than apply, get inducted, check a box on ERAS, and wear a cord at graduation. That is, unless they make you be more active now with meetings and service and such. But what on earth would you meet about? I digress...If things are the same at KCU as when I was there, PSA was tacked on at the end...like right before graduation. If I recall, there was a luncheon and you get a cord. Can't come into play much for residency interviews since it happens after the match.

@AlteredScale... Dang, I don't recall that it was that much money to join. Price must have gone up since I was there. There wasn't much to do for it other than apply, get inducted, check a box on ERAS, and wear a cord at graduation. That is, unless they make you be more active now with meetings and service and such. But what on earth would you meet about? I digress...If things are the same at KCU as when I was there, PSA was tacked on at the end...like right before graduation. If I recall, there was a luncheon and you get a cord. Can't come into play much for residency interviews since it happens after the match.

wait you get to wear a cord? Great I'm in :D.

I'm just gonna buy my own cord from the craft store.

Why not...just make up your own club with an awesome cord. Or better yet...demand that your group's tradition is a purple and orange (ahem...grey) graduation gown

I think its worth joining because of the "might help you a little factor". I'm part of SSP at my school at joined for the cord, and its kind of cool to be recognized for academic achievement. We don't have phi sigma alpha at our school.

Not to threadjack or necropost... But how does one join Psi Sigma Alpha? Our school doesn't have one, but I'm curious to see if we can start one.

Not to threadjack or necropost... But how does one join Psi Sigma Alpha? Our school doesn't have one, but I'm curious to see if we can start one.

I think it's one of those things that are given to you at the end of third or fourth year. You have to be eligible first (top something of your class) and then the actual honor society will induct you.

I think it's one of those things that are given to you at the end of third or fourth year. You have to be eligible first (top something of your class) and then the actual honor society will induct you.

Every school should have some coordinator, maybe it's a student? I think my school sends an email every year. But they never bother to explain what it is. Sounds like a waste.

Every school should have some coordinator, maybe it's a student? I think my school sends an email every year. But they never bother to explain what it is. Sounds like a waste.

We havent been notified of a coordinator to it yet p. Maybe they are waiting till end of first year?

Neither of these academic fraternities were available at my school. Not having anything like this on my app didn't seem to hurt at all.

I'm in top 25% but have literally 0 hours of EC or volunteering. Im applying.. We'll see how it goes

at DMU, SSP was for top quartile for the first semester, and the second semester and 2nd year you had to be top half of the class. so......not super strict standards.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems to largely vary by school based on all of theses posts.
I'm not sure if that means that your school has to specify somehow in your deans letter or if that just ultimately degrades its importance. At my school, there are 26/147 in my class who ultimately made the cut; interestingly, there were many who I think had the rank but aren't in it for whatever reason. It was also free for my school.

at DMU, SSP was for top quartile for the first semester, and the second semester and 2nd year you had to be top half of the class. so......not super strict standards.

Weird. Mine said >3.6 GPA.

I think its worth joining because of the "might help you a little factor". I'm part of SSP at my school at joined for the cord, and its kind of cool to be recognized for academic achievement. We don't have phi sigma alpha at our school.
3.2 GPA or whatever someone said it is not exactly academic achievement. It's one of a long list of meaningless ways to waste your time and money.

Edit: people are posting different cut offs. I've heard things like top half top third but either way it's not exactly equivalent to being a standout student.

3.2 GPA or whatever someone said it is not exactly academic achievement. It's one of a long list of meaningless ways to waste your time and money.

Edit: people are posting different cut offs. I've heard things like top half top third but either way it's not exactly equivalent to being a standout student.
I bet you're a blast at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I bet you're a blast at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Because I can spot a scam when I see one? I've got some space invader abduction insurance I'd love to sell you...

Yeah I was unaware of the different standards for admittance at the different COMs. At our school its top 20% so it is kind of an achievement. Also at the national level SSP states that schools are not supposed to allow more than 25% of the class to join and ones that are may find themselves running into a bit of difficulty in the future. I could see how a 3.2 requirement would make you think its not anything special.

Yeah I was unaware of the different standards for admittance at the different COMs. At our school its top 20% so it is kind of an achievement. Also at the national level SSP states that schools are not supposed to allow more than 25% of the class to join and ones that are may find themselves running into a bit of difficulty in the future. I could see how a 3.2 requirement would make you think its not anything special.
Top 20% is a little better but I still have a tough time paying $100 so people can know I'm top 20% when the only people that care will just get my rank in my residency application.