Sign-On Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfhockey10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Walgreens in Northern Virginia/D.C area are still giving out sign-on bonuses for new pharmacy grads? I know that they have stopped giving out sign-on bonuses here in the phoenix districts. Thanks for the info...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Walgreens in Northern Virginia/D.C area are still giving out sign-on bonuses for new pharmacy grads? I know that they have stopped giving out sign-on bonuses here in the phoenix districts. Thanks for the info...

From what I heard from my Walgreen friends, Walgreen pretty much do away with sign on bonuses as a whole. They do offer 5k to interns that were with the company before and 15k moving bonus for certain locations.

Members don't see this ad :)
sign on bonus is so overrated

after taxes, its not really much

i wouldnt let the influence your decision

regardless, even if you do take it, if something else arises, dont be afraid to take another job which you feel is better for you, returning the bonus is really not that big of deal like some people make it out to be

The military offers a really good signing bonus for a 4 year term. They also help pay off your student loan within a short period of time. Paying off loans is important to improve credit score.

Sign On Bonus is the way to go. I would sell my soul, work in chitty condition, and live in undesirable place if I can get a $15,000 sign on... I understand after taxes, the take home would be around $8,000... but I will decide my entire future on it.

Sign On Bonus is the way to go. I would sell my soul, work in chitty condition, and live in undesirable place if I can get a $15,000 sign on... I understand after taxes, the take home would be around $8,000... but I will decide my entire future on it.

actually itd be 9900+ change :)

Wow - I haven't seen you on here in awhile... How is Midwestern treating you? When do you guys start rotations?

i just got word today that WAG has decreased the OT pay. but, it still pays more than the other companies.

i just got word today that WAG has decreased the OT pay. but, it still pays more than the other companies.
Yikes! Do you mean no more time-and-a-half, and they only pay something like +$5/hr? 1.5x B-rate was the primary reason I chose to start with wags, and made a killing off it...

Relocation assistance is better than a sign-on bonus because the amount quoted is usually AFTER tax.

And the amount is always inversely proportional to the desirability of the position...

rumors are they cut the OT pay, but i havent heard anything at my store

there is no reason to start with Wags

wait 3 mos for ins, terrible tech help, going centralized which has cost business and lost jobs, their DWB threats, and on and on

Yikes! Do you mean no more time-and-a-half, and they only pay something like +$5/hr? 1.5x B-rate was the primary reason I chose to start with wags, and made a killing off it...

Relocation assistance is better than a sign-on bonus because the amount quoted is usually AFTER tax.

And the amount is always inversely proportional to the desirability of the position...

if i may ask, when would you work the OT days? the weekend you were off?

Members don't see this ad :)
if i may ask, when would you work the OT days? the weekend you were off?
Yes, the days off if you are a day pharmacist, but I used to work the overnights, 7-on, 7-off, leaving lots of time for OT.

What is DWB?

dynamic workflow balancing

where you verify other stores scripts

they have a set goal for each store for each week

they have said if you dont do DWB, they will fire you

of course i just tell them im with a customer, works every time so far

I would think DWB stands for Double Work Basepay.

I was offered 15k signing bonus from a different retail chain, the recruiter advised me to accept the bonus before getting license, while I am still a grad intern, she said it would be taxed less. Anyone heard of this before?

rumors are they cut the OT pay, but i havent heard anything at my store

there is no reason to start with Wags

wait 3 mos for ins, terrible tech help, going centralized which has cost business and lost jobs, their DWB threats, and on and on

Awesome!!!! The new Power program and they are cutting your pay....Sign me up for Wags!!! Oh wait been there done that...nevermind.

You got it!!! Absolutly the way to go....:thumbdown:

I was offered 15k signing bonus from a different retail chain, the recruiter advised me to accept the bonus before getting license, while I am still a grad intern, she said it would be taxed less. Anyone heard of this before?

There is not a magical lower tax system for grad interns over pharmacists.

I know that they have stopped giving out sign-on bonuses here in the phoenix districts. Thanks for the info...

I was offered a $20,000.00 sign-on bonus in January to accept a position in Casa Grande, located about 50 miles south of Phoenix. I didn't accept it and took another position, but still, it was offered.

There is not a magical lower tax system for grad interns over pharmacists.

If you are a student and you accept the bonus at the end of the year before you graduate, you will be in a lower tax bracket for that year than the next year where you will earn 1/2 years salary as a pharmacist.

If you are a student and you accept the bonus at the end of the year before you graduate, you will be in a lower tax bracket for that year than the next year where you will earn 1/2 years salary as a pharmacist.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious but it is May right now in case you forgot.:thumbup:

Thank you for pointing out the obvious but it is May right now in case you forgot.:thumbup:

Thanks, I thought it was December.:rolleyes:

Not everyone understands this. Most people do not understand that if you have 40% withheld from the bonus you will actually pay 40% in taxes on the bonus....