Significant Grade Fluctuation - Am I being too neurotic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_lil_thicc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools I'm applying to has an optional essay to "comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application".

My total GPAs for each year were: 3.97 --> 3.67 --> 3.97 --> 3.94.

I realize that getting a couple of B's in sophomore year is not that big of a deal. However, I am unsure if seems like a significant fluctuation.

I have drafted (what I think is) a good essay for this prompt, describing how after my success in freshman year I began to bite off more than I could chew in terms of extracurricular activities. I describe how this made me reflect on my priorities, and revamp my study strategies and work on my organizational skills.

More than that, I used this essay to stress the fact that I moved 3000 miles from home to go to school in a different country and specifically in a city I had never been to before. I also used it show that I paid for my own education. Both of these facts are not mentioned in the rest of the secondary application.

TL;DR: grades aren't that bad; essay might be useful, but might make me look super neurotic. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.