Signing the Contract!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbass1350

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to this. First off, congrats to those who matched and good luck to others. My question is: if a program offers you a position during the scramble and sends you a contract to sign, is that pretty much a done deal? Or it is still up in the air until they also sign it?

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and get them to sign it before relaxing.

It would be highly unethical of them to offer you the post and then give it to someone else after you signed the contract but I did read a post written last year on SDN where this had happened to a candidate during scramble.

The scramble is generally not regulated by the NRMP so get the signature!

Good Luck! and Congrats!!

Thank you

It does present a dilemma for me, however. The PD has already sent me an email welcoming me to the program after I sent him the signed contract. Wouldn't it show some lack of trust if I email back with 'thanks but I want to see you sign it too'? After all, I'll probably be working for these guys. And what if I don't get them to sign it right away? Should I continue contacting other programs (even though I have already signed a contract)?

Last edited:
Thank you

It does present a dilemma for me, however. The PD has already sent me an email welcoming me to the program after I sent him the signed contract. Wouldn't it show some lack of trust if I email back with 'thanks but I want to see you sign it too'? After all, I'll probably be working for these guys. And what if I don't get them to sign it right away? Should I continue contacting other programs (even though I have already signed a contract)?

Technically you have a contract when both people indicate agreement in writing to the same set of terms. Doesn't have to be on the same piece of paper. I'd say you are fine. But get their signature on something at your leisure.

It is unethical to keep dealing with other programs once you sign a contract and are welcomed aboard.

I just re read the previous thread that I was referring to.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506891&highlight=contract+scramble+unethical

I think the fact that you signed the contract is extremely reassuring.
Also I think that the behavior of the PD mentioned in the above post from last years match is obviously atrocious and the exception to the rule.

If I were you, I would probably ask the Program Coordinator to fax/scan me a copy of the contract signed by them. Maybe just call and speak to the coordinator.
Don't contact any other programs.

You're obviously fine and matched!
I'm just a little over cautious sometimes!

Thanks to both of you guys for the advice :thumbup:. I did the right thing and stopped calling other programs. I'll try to eventually get in touch with the PD and ask him for a signed copy. Thanks again!

Yeah, I don't think you should feel the least bit bashful about asking for a contract with their signatures on it.

BTW, Bob and cbass, I think you boys are both grads of my school... Fellow bearers of the blue badge of courage from South Florida! Where you guys at now? If you say you snagged that categorical spot at St. Joseph cbass I'm gonna be real happy for you.

Me... I gotta slum it out in the ranks of prelim gen surg for a year via the scramble despite umpteen interviews that all got ranked and all told me great things. Boo. Let's hope things improve next year.

BTW, Bob and cbass, I think you boys are both grads of my school... Fellow bearers of the blue badge of courage from South Florida!

Well the military decided, in their infinite wisdom, that although I wanted to do ER, I along with almost all other straight-out-of-med-school applicants for ER had to go do an internship year first. So this year I'm doing a surgical internship at Keesler AFB in beautiful (urgh) Biloxi MS.

But the light at the end of the tunnel is that now, after three quarters of a year in surgical purgatory I matched to ER... I'll let you know where on Thursday.

By the by, I'm not saying surgery is bad... it's just not for me. And as for the blue badge of courage... well, I'm just glad I graduated while they still let us wear any color scrubs we wanted.