Simple Practice EMR for Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychmd33

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been in private practice for about 15 years and have been using paper charts, iprescribe for e-prescribing, DoxyMe for telehealth, and Google workspace for HIPAA compliant email and calendar. I keep track of payments on an excel spreadsheet and write notes in microsoft word and then print them out for the paper chart.

In general, this cobbled together solution has worked pretty well for me, but I'm thinking it's time to get with the 21st century and also I'm spending too much time preparing invoices and managing payments. I only see patients for about 15 hours per week and about 60% are therapy, 40% meds only. Most patients are self-pay, but I am on one insurance panel. It's the meds patients where the administrative burden is higher. Most patients pay me via check or Zelle, and I'm reluctant to have everyone pay by credit card and lose thousands of dollars per year in credit card fees.

I like the look of Simple Practice, but I see that they don't offer e-prescribing. For people who use Simple Practice, are you happy with it? How do you document prescriptions?

Thank you for any and all advice and comments!

Members don't see this ad.

I use simple practice with iPrescribe. I just write in my soap note: “iPrescribed x Med Sig #”

SP is optimized for patient experience more than other EMRs since it’s UX is similar to other apps that your patient’s will use. This is ideal when patient engagement, payment, and show-rates effect bottom line. Another benefit, many patients already are familiar with the software bc their therapists use it.

I’ve found the using a few different programs work better than finding a clunky all-in-one.

Simple Practice takes care of insurance claims, billing, accounting, CC processing, patient portal/secure messaging, scheduling, patient reminders, and tele-health. Another big plus: the app version is awesome. I can just sit with patients and schedule/take payments/bill right from my phone, without taking out the laptop.

I augment with quest (labs) online portal, doximity fax/phone, and google apps (voice, mail, sites, docs, sheets, forms).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I use simple practice with iPrescribe. I just write in my soap note: “iPrescribed x Med Sig #”

SP is optimized for patient experience more than other EMRs since it’s UX is similar to other apps that your patient’s will use. This is ideal when patient engagement, payment, and show-rates effect bottom line. Another benefit, many patients already are familiar with the software bc their therapists use it.

I’ve found the using a few different programs work better than finding a clunky all-in-one.

Simple Practice takes care of insurance claims, billing, accounting, CC processing, patient portal/secure messaging, scheduling, patient reminders, and tele-health. Another big plus: the app version is awesome. I can just sit with patients and schedule/take payments/bill right from my phone, without taking out the laptop.

I augment with quest (labs) online portal, doximity fax/phone, and google apps (voice, mail, sites, docs, sheets, forms).
Thank you so much for your reply! Do you import the google stuff (gmail, docs/sheets, etc.) into Simple Practice to have everything in the medical record? Documenting emails is another time consuming thing for me - printing out emails and then putting them in the paper chart.

What do you use with google docs, sheets, and forms for that is not available in Simple Practice?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply! Do you import the google stuff (gmail, docs/sheets, etc.) into Simple Practice to have everything in the medical record? Documenting emails is another time consuming thing for me - printing out emails and then putting them in the paper chart.

What do you use with google docs, sheets, and forms for that is not available in Simple Practice?

Thank you!

I only really rely on google sites and forms for new patients. It’s how I get consultation requests. When I identify a patient to offer a new appointment, I email them a stock message with a link to my simple practice calendar.

I used to provide available times in that first email, now I let them picks. So much easier.

I strongly urge patients to use the secure messaging feature instead of sending email. Even if they send me a email, I will reply with a secure message. Sometimes, if the email contains clinics info, I’ll cut and paste the message into a chart note.

Cool thing about google voice. Voicemails are transcribed, emailed, and filtered (skip inbox and labeled “voicemail”). Often, I just read the email and use Doximity “straight to voicemail” feature. I won’t let people bother me :)