Simply another when to apply question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLYWA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...sorry to be that guy...but I've got another 'when to apply' question.

I have taken the MCAT x 2. Both grades were BAD...22 both times. This might not be actually that bad...but my GPA is gonna be in the 3.2 range...so I'm really gonna be needin a higher MCAT to get considered.

I plan to take the MCAT a 3rd time (this time with a prep course, and after having actually taken physics) but I'm currently taking a full load spring quarter and working 60 hrs a week. That being said...I'd like to retake the MCAT in late June so that I'll be prepared for it.

Problem is...I know (beause of my stats) that I will definitely be a person that needs to apply as early as possible.

Question is...should I wait until my 3rd MCAT results are released in mid-July to apply, OR...should I apply June 1...and simply not submit any MCAT until my scores are released?

Thanks for all responses.

Members don't see this ad.

What do your ECs look like? What about your science GPA? Definitely don't rush and take the MCAT before you are ready. You don't want to have to take it again. I personally would wait. You are still relatively early if you apply in July. You can have everything filled out on AACOMAS though and just wait on the scores before you actually submit it and pay the fee. Putting in your grades is very time consuming and tedious. Start working on your LORs now and have everything ready to go the day you get your scores. Good luck on your MCAT!:luck:

Ok...sorry to be that guy...but I've got another 'when to apply' question.

I have taken the MCAT x 2. Both grades were BAD...22 both times. This might not be actually that bad...but my GPA is gonna be in the 3.2 range...so I'm really gonna be needin a higher MCAT to get considered.

I plan to take the MCAT a 3rd time (this time with a prep course, and after having actually taken physics) but I'm currently taking a full load spring quarter and working 60 hrs a week. That being said...I'd like to retake the MCAT in late June so that I'll be prepared for it.

Problem is...I know (beause of my stats) that I will definitely be a person that needs to apply as early as possible.

Question is...should I wait until my 3rd MCAT results are released in mid-July to apply, OR...should I apply June 1...and simply not submit any MCAT until my scores are released?

Thanks for all responses.

Submit your primary application before your scores are released, and really as soon as possible. While your application will be on-hold until your scores are released to the schools, the advantage is that, if you are complete with them in everything else, they will be able to move on your application as soon as your MCAT scores get to them. If you were to hold off on submitting your primary application until your MCAT scores become released, you will likely be delaying much more than if you went ahead with the process without those scores, in my opinion.

On another note, are you sure you want to apply this cycle? Medical school isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. There's no need to rush your way to it and give yourself a heart attack, running around trying to make it work; apply when you are at your strongest and you most ready. If you would benefit from raising your stats--your UGPA and your MCAT--you may wish to consider doing that. Waiting one more year to improve your application properly is time well spent, in my opinion, if it would result in more options. It's all up to you, though. If you want to apply now and you feel ready, then go for it all the way.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit your primary application before your scores are released and really as soon as possible. While your application will be on-hold until your scores are released at the schools, the advantage is that, if you are complete with them in everything else, they will be able to move on your application as soon as your MCAT scores get to them. If you were to hold off on submitting your primary application until your MCAT scores become released, you will be likely delaying much more than if you went ahead without those scores, in my opinion.

My only thought on that was if the OP got another 22, then it might be a waste of money. Although, it would not be impossible to get an acceptance with those stats. A lot would depend on the schools applied to, the ECs, etc. But, I guess that is up to the OP. If they would apply anyway with a 22, then I agree that submitting it in June would be better.:) :luck:

EEK, third time is your last chance to take the MCAT! You have to approach it very seriously. It's great that your taking a prep course this time, but the course itself won't magically do you any good if you don't have tons of time to study. With a full class load and working 60hrs a week, you're not going to have that time. If you financially can't afford to ease up on working, I would recommend taking the prep course this summer and take an August MCAT, so that you really have time to nail it.

You can actually take it more than three times, but you have to get special permission. :) :luck: Still, who wants to take it a fourth time.:smuggrin:

The rules have changed since the switch-over to the computerized version of the MCAT. According to the AAMC:

AAMC said:
How often will I be able to take the MCAT exam?

You may take the MCAT exam a maximum of three times per year, but can only register for one testing session at a time. Documentation is no longer required if you have already taken the exam three or more times.

Sounds like score inflation is coming to a computer lab near you...:laugh:

If you can take the exam 6 times you're a lot more likely to get a higher score...

Although, people who take the exam 6 times are probably not scoring in the 30's and 40's, so it probably wouldn't skew the curve so much.