Single Bad Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do MD/PhD programs really care about single bad grades: like having a B- in Orgo I, as long as you show with subsequent coursework (i.e. an A in Orgo II) that you've mastered the material? I.e. if you over-committed by doing research full-time for a semester when you should have been studying a little bit more but manage to pull good grades the rest of the time (and make it into the "excellent" 3.8+ BCPM category), is it still cool that you kind of really screwed up in one class along the way?

Members don't see this ad.

Do MD/PhD programs really care about single bad grades: like having a B- in Orgo I, as long as you show with subsequent coursework (i.e. an A in Orgo II) that you've mastered the material? I.e. if you over-committed by doing research full-time for a semester when you should have been studying a little bit more but manage to pull good grades the rest of the time (and make it into the "excellent" 3.8+ BCPM category), is it still cool that you kind of really screwed up in one class along the way?

Where did you here about these 'categories' regarding grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a B+ in genetics which I was sure schools were going to ask me about (I have over a 3.9). Having gone through about 9 interviews now, it's never been brought up and I don't anticipate it ever coming up. I understand its easy to get overly paranoid about things like that. Don't worry about it. Big picture is what they care about.

I got a C in general chemistry and was never asked about it. As long as it's a blip/anomaly, I wouldn't worry about it.

-X

Yes, if it is one class and its a C, you won't be asked about it.

Yes, if it is one class and its a C or >, you won't be asked about it.

I got one B in college and was asked about it by an mstp interviewer, but only because she wanted to share how much she hated that class too when she was in school :). I really wouldn't worry about anything so small.

Yeah, reading back over this thread made me realize how stupid I was for worrying about something like this. Thanks for the support nonetheless and not yelling at me. :D C'est la vie, live and learn, etc etc etc.