Single degree OMS cosmetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much information on cosmetic stuff on SDN regarding OMS. After looking online it seems only dual degree OMS can do a full body cosmetic fellowship. However, it sounds like a couple of surgeons I’ve spoken to alluded that it was possible a single degree OMS could do full body cosmetics. Could someone clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not do full body cosmetics unless you do a plastics residency. Several dual degree oral surgeons are double boarded

I would not do full body cosmetics unless you do a plastics residency. Several dual degree oral surgeons are double boarded
There is a difference between being a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon. I would argue that if you want to do full body cosmetics, the best way would be to do the 3 yr plastic surgery fellowship after a 6 yr omfs program. You need to go to an omfs program that gives you a 2 yr general surgery certificate to be eligible for a plastic surgery fellowship though. Most of them don’t give you that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The AACS cosmetic surgery fellowships only allow dual-degree OMFS surgeons to do general cosmetic fellowships. Single degree OMFS can only do their facial cosmetic surgery fellowship.

@giants_fan what organization organizes the 3 year plastics fellowships you are taking about?

Reactions: 1 users
There is a difference between being a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon. I would argue that if you want to do full body cosmetics, the best way would be to do the 3 yr plastic surgery fellowship after a 6 yr omfs program. You need to go to an omfs program that gives you a 2 yr general surgery certificate to be eligible for a plastic surgery fellowship though. Most of them don’t give you that.
Isn’t there controversy over the 2 year gen surg certificate? I thought many OMS programs don’t complete the full 2 years of gen surg but credit them time for it

The AACS cosmetic surgery fellowships only allow dual-degree OMFS surgeons to do general cosmetic fellowships. Single degree OMFS can only do their facial cosmetic surgery fellowship.

@giants_fan what organization organizes the 3 year plastics fellowships you are taking about?
ASPS

I haven’t seen much information on cosmetic stuff on SDN regarding OMS. After looking online it seems only dual degree OMS can do a full body cosmetic fellowship. However, it sounds like a couple of surgeons I’ve spoken to alluded that it was possible a single degree OMS could do full body cosmetics. Could someone clarify?
Why would you want to do full body cosmetics? If you’re an OMFS then be an OMFS. People will not want to go to a dentist for a tummy tuck.
Be known for for being good at what you do, not how many things you can do.

Reactions: 8 users
Why would you want to do full body cosmetics? If you’re an OMFS then be an OMFS. People will not want to go to a dentist for a tummy tuck.
Seriously. This. Go to medical school and match prs.

Reactions: 2 users

Agreed, "full body cosmetics" seems so skeevy. I've seen a few of these people on social media and they always seem to intentionally mislead their clientele about their qualifications

Sounds cool and profitable but have to remember these patients can be really tough to deal with. Have seen some dual degrees OMFS be successful in full body, albeit in less competitive markets.

Sounds cool and profitable but have to remember these patients can be really tough to deal with. Have seen some dual degrees OMFS be successful in full body, albeit in less competitive markets.
I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but I doubt they are doing better than a single degree doc with a healthy schedule of full mouth cases to include sedation, zygomas, and pterygoids

If you like the full body stuff, make sure you do a dual degree program. Its not that you are not trained or qualified. Its the malpractice and credentialing that can be tough. Plus, some state boards require specific credentials to advertise "full body" cosmetic surgery. Be careful, but onward and upward.

Reactions: 1 user