single life at kirksville????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandolin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently visited Kirksville and found that most people were engaged or married and some even have children. I am VERY single and plan on maintaining an exciting single life. I am concerned that the only thing to do in Kirksville is go to Walmart. I would appreciate any insight from current students or others who have visited.

Members don't see this ad.

mandolin said:
I recently visited Kirksville and found that most people were engaged or married and some even have children. I am VERY single and plan on maintaining an exciting single life. I am concerned that the only thing to do in Kirksville is go to Walmart. I would appreciate any insight from current students or others who have visited.

Yeah I've visited too. Get a good video game system, or learn to not be picky about your women.

If all else fails, you always have Truman State.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am a woman. i guess i would have to learn not to be picky about my men. i dont like video games. are you seriously considering kirksville?

mandolin said:
i am a woman. i guess i would have to learn not to be picky about my men. i dont like video games. are you seriously considering kirksville?

Nah, I couldn't live in the middle of nowhere. It was my last choice of all of the schools I was accepted to.

Don't worry about being single. You don't have to get married while you are still in medical school. I know I won't be. Go to residency somewhere fun and meet someone there.

Where else did you get in? Did you decide on where to go yet?

mandolin said:
Where else did you get in? Did you decide on where to go yet?

I'm a second year, and I attend OSU-COM.

I was accepted to OSU-COM, AZCOM, & KCOM, and declined an interview at DMU-COM.

mandolin said:
Most people in our class our married and stuff which sux for me as I am single as well. Some people are going out with others from our class. Others are going out with 2nd years. There is always Truman State to look forward to. Otherwise look forward to buying a Xbox 360 with some of that loan money!!

BAAAAAAAA (sheep noise)

there really isn't much to do in kirksville whether you're married or not. period. other than drive somewhere else. i love my school and am incredibly glad that i chose to go to KCOM, but social life is pretty much tame compared to other places.

that being said, i know that it's important to have a social life (and believe me i did more socializing that studying sometimes) but in retrospect now as a third year, i wish that i'd spent more time reading and studying and less time at the dukum inn basking in the glory of a newcastle ale.

that being said, it's probably going to be difficult to maintain an "exciting single life" anywhere you go as a first and second year med student... the balance can be tricky

I hear you need to study at Truman State library if you are single at Kirksville. Those undergrads cant wait to jump all over an intelligent med student :D (At least this is what someone said during my interview day)

docslytherin said:
there really isn't much to do in kirksville whether you're married or not. period. other than drive somewhere else. i love my school and am incredibly glad that i chose to go to KCOM, but social life is pretty much tame compared to other places.

that being said, i know that it's important to have a social life (and believe me i did more socializing that studying sometimes) but in retrospect now as a third year, i wish that i'd spent more time reading and studying and less time at the dukum inn basking in the glory of a newcastle ale.

that being said, it's probably going to be difficult to maintain an "exciting single life" anywhere you go as a first and second year med student... the balance can be tricky

what is a social life for again?? :confused: :D

laboholic said:
I hear you need to study at Truman State library if you are single at Kirksville. Those undergrads cant wait to jump all over an intelligent med student :D (At least this is what someone said during my interview day)

As a TSU alum, I can assure you that 98% of the students have no idea what/where KCOM is.

DireWolf said:
As a TSU alum, I can assure you that 98% of the students have no idea what/where KCOM is.

Huh :confused:

DireWolf said:

How is that possible, Kirksville is only 17k people.

mandolin said:

i was single coming into KV from chicago last year, so i had the same questions. but don't worry, most people usually don't have problems adjusting. it's not like you're going to be here forever, just 2 years and then it's off to rotations. while you're here most people usually make occasional trips to columbia (UM-Columbia) 1.5 hrs, kansas city or st. louis (UMKC, KCUMB; Wash U, and SLU) both 3 hrs. for shopping and....university sightseeing.....if you know what i mean.

good luck!

laboholic said:
How is that possible, Kirksville is only 17k people.

I was interested in medicine and still didn't find out that KCOM even existed until my fourth year of undergrad. KCOM is located in a corner of town where no one has a reason to drive by.

I would bet money that if you polled the TSU student body, that at least 95% wouldn't know that KCOM was in town.

laboholic said:

When I was in the 'ville this one dude would go to the Truman State library dressed up in his anatomy scrubs and try to sleaze on the women. Pretty tragic. Kirksville as a town is good for 2 things:
1. Learning the whole medicine thing.
2. Getting really, really, really drunk. I mean blind drunk for around $15.

Its not so good for meeting ur soulmate. But we had 2-3 marriages in my class to classmates and 1-2 marriages of people who married truman staters.

The consensus from most of the people I've talked to has been that there's really only 2 things people have time for at KCOM: 1) studying and 2) drinking. Guess I'll have to find out for myself.

:idea:

XKV said:
The consensus from most of the people I've talked to has been that there's really only 2 things people have time for at KCOM: 1) studying and 2) drinking. Guess I'll have to find out for myself.

:idea:

So it will be just like undergrad? Yay!!!