SIU Interview!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After hearing so much from everybody (including my advisor) about how SIU rarely interviews Chicago residents and that I should write them off, having been placed on the screener's alternate list - I open my mailbox today to find a letter saying that they have reconsidered my file and would like to interview me!!!

I have no idea why they want to interview me of all people - I don't live in a small town (a rather large city, actually) and I don't have an interest in primary care (my practice vision specifically states that I am interested in EM). Baffling, but I'll take it...

By the way - does anyone have any good info on whether I should interview at the Carbondale or Springfield campus? Are there any pros or cons to interviewing at either campus?

Members don't see this ad.

rxfudd:

Congrats on the SIU interview! Who'd thought it!!

I interviewed there (Springfield) in October and would definitely reccommend that location. You're only in Carbondale for the first year, which turns out to be 9 or 10 months with the summer break, and all the hospital facilities are in Springfield. Additionally, you get to meet more of the admissions and other staff because they're in Springfield.

If you decide to go to Springfield, I stayed at the Carpenter Street Hotel, about 2 blocks from the school.

By the way, have you heard from UIC? I think you and I interviewed on the same day (Oct 30th). I called and was told I'm on hold, meaning my file will be considered every time the committee meets.

Best of luck at SIU. Let me know if I can tell you anything else.

Spang

dammit. the SIU screeners alternate club shrinks by one...

you've blown my whole theory, rxfudd. but i wonder if this is because i was way off-base to begin with, or if it's because this is such a strange year with admissions?

anyway, good luck with your interview! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Spang: I never heard from UIC after the interview, so I called today and was told that I, too, was placed on the hold list. From what they told me, this only means that a final decision has not been made. I have a feeling that they are feeling delayed effects of the AMCAS disaster and are not able to review as many files as they have interviewees. Don't worry about it - they'll review us next month. How did your interview at SIU go? Are they tough or is it an easy interview? Do they ask any really difficuly questions or is it a get-to-know-you type of interview?

sandflea: I was as surprised as you are. I had completely written them off. Sadly, though, I must forfeit my coveted "screener's alternate club" status and boldly go where no Chicagoan has gone before.

Originally posted by rxfudd:

Sadly, though, I must forfeit my coveted "screener's alternate club" status and boldly go where no Chicagoan has gone before.•••

'forfeit'?! are you kidding?! i kicked you out as soon as i saw who started this thread! :D anyway, best of luck and make chicago proud!

Way to go RxFudd! The club will miss your presence but Sandflea and I had to make the tough decision to release you effective immediately. Chicago can't endure its own kind heading down to Springfield for ANY reason! Well, good luck and may next month bring you the news you want from UIC. :p

CONGRATS Mr. rxfudd! I'm so happy for you! Go and rock the interview now :) :) :)

rxfudd,

I interviewed at SIU in Springfield in the middle of November. The interview(s) were really easy (no tough questions asked). Actually, my first interview was with a curriculum instructor and she did most of the talking (about the school, their new curriculum, etc.). She did not really ask me any questions. In fact, I asked a lot of questions since I am really interested in their school and problem based learning (they have no lectures, only 6 person groups studying a particular problem, lots of self directed learning). After the first interview, I had a tour of the instructional facilities with a second year med student. She was really nice, and candid about the school and its environment.

My second interview was with an Internal Medicine physician, who asked me a lot of questions but almost all of them were about me, my background, schools I attended, etc. He did not ask me why I want to be a doctor, but he wanted to know how I got interested in medicine and when I decided to apply to medical school. He also asked me why SIU, where I applied to, did I get any other interviews, what would I do if I do not get to any med school.

I was informed that they will make a decision on December 18th and send a letter of (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) the following day.

I drove to Springfield the day before my interview and I stayed at the Best Inn which is located across the Memorial Medical Center.

Good luck at your interview!

Good luck Rxfudd. I've been wondering when we'd hear from you again. I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

*I still think those ADMIN spies from the chatroom are the only reason you've had to wait this long. By the way, when are you expecting word from GU?

rxfudd:

Got my letter of acceptance today, dated November 29, 2001. About 6 weeks after interviewing.

I'm psyched!

Spang

Rock on Spang! Congrats! Is SIU your first choice? As the spokesperson for the Screeners Alternate Club (SAC) headquartered in Chicago let me say we are all not worthy!! :p :D :p

Rxfudd--

That's so completely awesome! Wow, you just never know in this game, now do ya? Best of luck!