Siue 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Anyone applying here for next year? Their application just opened today, and I was starting the process of applying, but when I got to their GPA calculation sheets it says to list ALL undergrad courses, there was no spot for graduate courses and I have an MPH.

I'm assuming that I should still send my graduate transcripts, but they will only calculate the undergraduate courses in the GPA? Corrrect me if I am wrong anyone...

Also, does anybody know their stats for admitting individuals, or at least what you should have GPA / PCAT wise to get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

that's a massive decrease of chicago area/out of state students in the class of 2013. jeez.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised on the PCAT average. The score seemed pretty low. I would expect something at least in the 70's

that's a massive decrease of chicago area/out of state students in the class of 2013. jeez.

Dean Gupchup has said that the school does favor rural Illinois students. I earned (but turned down) an interview this past application cycle, and I'm from a suburb of Chicago, so it's not impossible.

i've looked into siue and i know that they do prefer rural in-state students and that i understand it's not impossible. just kinda shocking for that big of a decrease in just one year.

I'm applying to SIUE. It's my number one choice. I'm taking the PCAT next weekend and hopefully I do alright. I went to a Pharmacy open house and talked to an admissions person, and they said they look at the GPA more than anything. THEN PCAT, then lor, then extra-curriculars

I'm currently a senior doing my undergrad at SIUE. I'm not in the pharmacy school (yet!) but will apply this coming fall 2010.

Yes, your graduate scores DO matter. But ONLY in the overall GPA calculations. Really, your pre-pharmacy GPA, pre-pharmacy math/sci GPA, PCAT, and interview matter the most.

Their admissions system is based on sort of a point system. If you live in central IL you get a point. If your GPA is up to their expectations (probably >3.5 or >3.6) or so you get a point. If your PCAT meets their expectations (probably >60 or >70), you get a point. And so on. People with the most points get invited for an on campus interview and people are selected from that pool into their pharmacy school. And the interview is VERY important to them. If you get offered an interview then the school sees you as someone intelligent enough to get in so they really just want to see what kind of a person you are and what experience you have if any to put into perspective along with your GPA and PCAT. The interview is so important... that I got denied from their pharmacy school last year because I didn't do particularly well on the interview but I exceed in every other requirement they have to get in. Whereas my friend who was below average in just about every other aspect but kicked butt in the interview got in immediately.

Roughly 850 people apply, 200 get interviews, and 84 students get in. They have a waitlist system so if someone declines the admission then they move up on the waitlist. It typically gets to around the 25th person on the list.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

edit: now that I am looking at those numbers, I don't think they are correct...

Last edited:
When filling out the GPA calculation sheet, the "Quality Points" column wasn't filling in. I am also using Excel 2003. Did this happen to anyone else? Also it wasn't calculating my pre-pharmacy GPA or math and science gpa. It did the overall gpa fine. Blahh

Yeah, the GPA calculuation sheets are weird. I think they have a new version on their website that should be used. You should try and download the new calculation sheets.

When filling out the GPA calculation sheet, the "Quality Points" column wasn't filling in. I am also using Excel 2003. Did this happen to anyone else? Also it wasn't calculating my pre-pharmacy GPA or math and science gpa. It did the overall gpa fine. Blahh

It should automatically fill when you fill out your pre-pharmacy grades. It worked for me! You guys still having trouble?

Yep, it worked for me! I'm having no issues with it. I took courses at multiple undergrad schools (I moved around a lot after my four years of college), so I had to list two schools on one line at one point. But it's working for me now. Have you finished the rest of the application? What else is included in the application in terms of specific questions?

It should automatically fill when you fill out your pre-pharmacy grades. It worked for me! You guys still having trouble?

All there really is:
1) GPA calculation sheet
2) 2 letters of recommendation
3) PCAT/transcripts sent to SIUE
4) Complete online application and send ~$40(?) fee

There used to be a form you had to sign to give along with your LOR's but I don't think I saw it this time... It has something to do with the school now being accredited. I haven't finished filling out the whole thing yet so I'm not really sure if I forgot anything

Members don't see this ad :)
So I tried to use the worksheet using excel 2007 and it worked. But it still doesn't work with my 2003. I guess I will just have to do it on a computer that has 2007, but that still bugs me why it won't work on 2003. oh well.

And I love how siue's application is pretty simple.:D

Hey I just realized I did complete my GPA worksheet at work using Microsoft 2007 and saved it to my jump drive...Hmm...That probably is why it worked. I wonder if I try and complete the rest of it on my computer at home with 2003 will it work or not...
Thanks for pointing that out!

So I tried to use the worksheet using excel 2007 and it worked. But it still doesn't work with my 2003. I guess I will just have to do it on a computer that has 2007, but that still bugs me why it won't work on 2003. oh well.

So I noticed on the application they have something where you list all healthcare related activities. Do you have to describe in detail the activities you did? It says to just list them.

They don't have anything where you complete like a personal statement, or why you may want to go into pharmacy? I haven't ran across that question yet and I'm surprised.

All there really is:
1) GPA calculation sheet
2) 2 letters of recommendation
3) PCAT/transcripts sent to SIUE
4) Complete online application and send ~$40(?) fee

There used to be a form you had to sign to give along with your LOR's but I don't think I saw it this time... It has something to do with the school now being accredited. I haven't finished filling out the whole thing yet so I'm not really sure if I forgot anything

NEVER MIND---I FORGOT THAT ONCE YOU ENTER THE LETTER GRADE AND SEMESTER HOURS, IT WILL CACLUATE THE QUALITY POINTS AUTOMATICALLY. Still seems messed up that you have to take away the "-"s and "+"s.

Hey guys I have a question I just thought about...

Okay, so they say not to include any "+" or "-" in your grades when entering them on the calculation sheet. So if you got a B+ in Orgo II, a 4 credit class, and you type in "B" for the letter grade, and the total quality points you would get is 3 quality points for the "B" x 4 semester hours = 12 quality points.

However, if you used the actual letter grade on your transcript, the total quality points you would technically get is 3.3 quality points x 4 semester hours = 13.2. But if you do it WITHOUT the "+" it would only be 12 quality points. That's a pretty big difference!

Are you suppose to calculate the actual quality points based on the letter grade received on your transcript?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So I noticed on the application they have something where you list all healthcare related activities. Do you have to describe in detail the activities you did? It says to just list them.

They don't have anything where you complete like a personal statement, or why you may want to go into pharmacy? I haven't ran across that question yet and I'm surprised.

I have not seen any essay for this application. can anyone help me clear on this ?

Okay, so they say not to include any "+" or "-" in your grades when entering them on the calculation sheet. So if you got a B+ in Orgo II, a 4 credit class, and you type in "B" for the letter grade, and the total quality points you would get is 3 quality points for the "B" x 4 semester hours = 12 quality points.

However, if you used the actual letter grade on your transcript, the total quality points you would technically get is 3.3 quality points x 4 semester hours = 13.2. But if you do it WITHOUT the "+" it would only be 12 quality points. That's a pretty big difference!

Are you suppose to calculate the actual quality points based on the letter grade received on your transcript?

Thanks!

Calculate your GPA the way they want you to...no pluses or minuses.

On the Admission Criteria page, it states the following:

"A course can be repeated three (3) times for a maximum of four (4) attempts. The last grade earned in that class will be calculated in the GPA."

But from what I'm reading in previous posts in this thread, they ask for ALL your grades? So do you just list the last grade you earned in a class if it was repeated, or do you have to list every single grade that you received each time it was taken?

The very last grade you received

oh wow i thought it was a group interview for some reason. I'm nervous about the essay. wonder what we have to write about

Can anyone comment on the SIUE campus and the general area? How do students feel about their experiences therE?

SIUE is a really nice campus. It is not in the middle of the city like some schools. It is kinda all by itself, and you have to drive if you wanna go eat somewhere off campus or anything like that. On campus they have apartments you can live in(cougar village) and dorms that are apartment like(evergreen hall). The other dorms I believe are now only for freshman. It is really pretty in the fall. It's 20 minutes away from STL. Also Edwardsville is a really nice city. I has had lots of new stores put in over the past few years like Borders, Starbucks, Bread Co, Best Buy (those weren't there like 2 years ago ). I always felt safe walking back to my dorm from the library at night. It is pretty lit up at night. I just really like the school. I went there for my undergrad and it was a good experience.

anyone know if SIUE held their interviews last year during the week or the weekend?

SIUe is a nice change of pace from the university i went to before. The campus is REALLY beautiful and overall its awesome. You gotta drive everywhere on campus though and not a lot of parties x.x

Last year mine was scheduled on a Thursday.

During the week. And interviews I think lead up to like 4-5pm

anytime! make sure you post on here when you get a letter!

According to the school they were planning on mailing out the interview letters Monday (15th), but I think they got delayed. Every day at 4 I keep checking the mail and nothing in yet :cool:

Shouldn't be too long now.

Wow, your on it! I guess I could have thought to call the school too. Nevertheless, if anybody here's something post it on this thread. I'm in St. Louis (not too far from the school) and haven't received anything, so maybe they plan on mailing this week. I know I have heard that PCAT scores might be back this week, so maybe that's what they are waiting on? I don't know...I'm so scared....I pray that I get an interview, this is my only shot for staying in St. Louis--it would be so sweet if I could go there (plus they have pretty cool program too)

According to the school they were planning on mailing out the interview letters Monday (15th), but I think they got delayed. Every day at 4 I keep checking the mail and nothing in yet :cool:

Shouldn't be too long now.

Wow, your on it! I guess I could have thought to call the school too. Nevertheless, if anybody here's something post it on this thread. I'm in St. Louis (not too far from the school) and haven't received anything, so maybe they plan on mailing this week. I know I have heard that PCAT scores might be back this week, so maybe that's what they are waiting on? I don't know...I'm so scared....I pray that I get an interview, this is my only shot for staying in St. Louis--it would be so sweet if I could go there (plus they have pretty cool program too)

I don't think they look at January PCAT scores though. I am hoping I get an interview too! ahhh!

Oh wow, I didn't realize they didn't look at January PCATs. Oh wow. So now, I'm really anxious!!! Augh!!!!

I don't think they look at January PCAT scores though. I am hoping I get an interview too! ahhh!

October's PCAT is the very last one they look at. Any day now - Good luck!

..Looky what I found....
..Interview Invitation Letters Notice:..
..Fall 2010 Applicants:..
..The invitation letters for interviews were mailed to selected students on February 23, 2010. Interviews will be held in the Morris University Center on March 18th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd and 24th. In addition to the interview, all participating students will be required to complete a writing assessment...
....http://www.siue.edu/pharmacy/prospective/index.shtml..
..So I guess they are being mailed out tomorrow!

Good looking out! I'm so scared but nervous at the same time!!!! We'll keep each other posted!!!!!

..Looky what I found....
..Interview Invitation Letters Notice:..
..Fall 2010 Applicants:..
..The invitation letters for interviews were mailed to selected students on February 23, 2010. Interviews will be held in the Morris University Center on March 18th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd and 24th. In addition to the interview, all participating students will be required to complete a writing assessment...
....http://www.siue.edu/pharmacy/prospective/index.shtml..
..So I guess they are being mailed out tomorrow!