Sketchy Pharm is such trash

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Meow

9 lives ain't enough
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any better resource?

Vent:
They talk a huge paragraph and then give a drawing that has nothing to do with anything and then draw WORDS for anything important which defeats the purpose of a memory palace.
I'm a purely visual learner so it's frustrating that this stupid series is a perversion what a memory palace is especially knowing that there is so much potential (sketchy micro) and these guys are rushing through, hiring the most annoying voices I've ever heard, and destroying everything good about a memory palace.
Even if Andrew doesn't have time to make videos please at least have him Quality Control these things.
And these videos have been out for years. They need to remake the bad ones which is 75% of pharm.

Gonna watch path after pharm. I sure hope path is better

edit 06212022: Sounds like it'll eventually be worth it! Cool. I'll keep watching. THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMO if you’re studying for step 1 use FA for drugs to supplement what you already know about them from pre clinical and this way you’ll be spending <2min on any given drug vs way longer for sketchy Pharm, and you won’t be sitting through multiple minutes of stuff you probably recall 70% or more of anyway.

I watched all of Micro and that’s it. Pharm was too long and no way I wouldve done it for path.

I didn’t find it much more helpful than rote memorizing Micro over two years in the first place. it did help to recall minor details here and there but what’s the point of the catalase positive cat or the urea ammonia spray or whatever it is, because no matter what I still have to remember if that symbol is in the picture when it usually doesn’t have anything to do with the concept anyway.

it’s not as good as sketchy micro but still better than rote memorization when you pair it with AnKing

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still referring to those sketches in my mind every day and I’m about to start pgy-2. I literally teach medical students by saying “So that’s the sketch with ****….” “..,and you can remember this side effect because on the side of that sketch there’s a ****….”.

The anki cards that help you memorize those sketches were probably the most high yield of all of the resources from preclinical both for step 1 and real life.

Reactions: 6 users
I thought Sketchy Pharm was total junk, but then I re-watched the videos AND used Pepper Pharm during dedicated… and it was very, very worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sketchy pharm videos are long but I remember them pretty well. (6 years since I went through the videos). I don’t remember complete pictures anymore but I can still hone in on the overall picture then search for an item I was looking for when I was taking my board certification exam. There is very little medical information I can attribute to a source that I learned in preclinical medicine, sketchy is at the top of the list. It takes a long time to get through and there are other ways to go about learning the material. But the pics are long lasting.

Still referring to those sketches in my mind every day and I’m about to start pgy-2. I literally teach medical students by saying “So that’s the sketch with ****….” “..,and you can remember this side effect because on the side of that sketch there’s a ****….”.

The anki cards that help you memorize those sketches were probably the most high yield of all of the resources from preclinical both for step 1 and real life.

I thought Sketchy Pharm was total junk, but then I re-watched the videos AND used Pepper Pharm during dedicated… and it was very, very worth it.
This. You have to do image occlusion in conjunction with the videos.. honestly I thought it was just as HY as micro.

Personally I found Sketchy Path to be the weakest of the 3, especially with Pathoma and BnB out there

Reactions: 4 users
This. You have to do image occlusion in conjunction with the videos.. honestly I thought it was just as HY as micro.

Personally I found Sketchy Path to be the weakest of the 3, especially with Pathoma and BnB out there
Agree, sketchy path is much worse. And pharm is just a bunch of made up words anyway so anything helps

Back in the day (2015-2016) I remember using Sketchy Micro & Pharm as a supplement to remember what I read in textbooks (for pharm - admittedly - mostly the end-of-chapter tables). I found it to be clutch. But I don’t know that it was intended as a primary or only resource.

SketchyPath wasn’t out when I was studying for Step 1 and SketchyPath was fairly new. I feel old.

I've never heard of Pepper Pharm...what is it???

Anki cards derived from the SketchPharm video series. It’s one of a few top tier decks (Zanki, Lolnotacop, etc.) that was eventually integrated into AnKing. People usually just refer to the whole collection as AnKing now.

• Love
Sketchy micro > Sketchy pharm >>> Sketchy path

Reactions: 1 users
Bruh, you're really going for their necks with this one! On a real note, if it wasn't for Sketchy Micro and Pharm I probably would have struggled a lot more in my system courses. They've always been clutch for me.

Any better resource?

Vent:
They talk a huge paragraph and then give a drawing that has nothing to do with anything and then draw WORDS for anything important which defeats the purpose of a memory palace.
I'm a purely visual learner so it's frustrating that this stupid series is a perversion what a memory palace is especially knowing that there is so much potential (sketchy micro) and these guys are rushing through, hiring the most annoying voices I've ever heard, and destroying everything good about a memory palace.
Even if Andrew doesn't have time to make videos please at least have him Quality Control these things.
And these videos have been out for years. They need to remake the bad ones which is 75% of pharm.
Thought the OG pharm videos were ok for the most part - which ones do you hate in particular?

Anking Pharm plus FA, I used them and got 65-75% correct on uworld

Pharm was my best section on UWORLD as well as every single NBME/COMSAE I took. I think the MOST important thing is to focus on the mechanism of action and relate it to side effects. Also - the cool and strange side effects (urine color changes, tendon rupture) and major precautions (pregnancy and blood pressure meds) are extremely high yield. The only time that a “boring” side effect will be tested is if it is extremely common, such as constipation for verapamil or diarrhea for metformin (these are high yield simply because an extremely large percentage of patients taking these meds get the side effect).