Ski patrol to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkiPatrolDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my story...I graduated from PSU in 2010 with a Biology degree focused toward ecology (environmental classes). After graduation, I moved to Colorado and have been working in the environmental health field (City of Aspen environmental and public health department) for the past 2 years. Also, since I was 19, I have been a volunteer ski patroller in Pennsylvania and a Pro Patroller here in Colorado, totaling 5 years now. I have had many high stress medical scenarios thrown my way, and I get excited about each and every call that I respond to. Work in the environmental field has significantly lost my interest and the lack of funding doesn't help either. So I have decided to follow my other interest, medicine. This means going back to school for a year and finishing some upper level pre-reqs and taking the MCAT.

I am moving back to PA from Colorado to do this while living at home to save up some money. I am 24 now and highly motivated to do this! I wanted to share my story in the hopes that it might help to inspire others. It's also nice to tell my story, it helps keep me motivated too! Ultimately, I hope to return to my true 'home' in Colorado to attend the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Recent events aside, as someone I have always looked up to, Joe Paterno once said, "Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things." Let's do this!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck Ski Patrol! I'm starting University of Colorado School of Medicine in less than three week and am beyond excited!

P.S. You ain't no non-trad yet.

Good luck Ski Patrol! I'm starting University of Colorado School of Medicine in less than three week and am beyond excited!

P.S. You ain't no non-trad yet.
Yes! Good luck to you too! ... I have noticed that starting med school at 26 will not be so non-trad after all, after reading through some other non-trad threads haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I am considering reapplying to medical school in the next few years, and in the mean time would like to work as a ski patroller.

I'm confident in my skiing ablility, and am working on my EMT-B certification. Sounds like a fun path :)

One of the residents who taught at a wilderness medicine conference I attended also had a ski patrol background and is pretty much the coolest guy we have in the state. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great. :)

Good luck! I never did ski patrol, seeing as I'm from the land of no snow, but I did very similar stuff and didn't really decide on medical school until I was out of college and working EMS. You'll have great experiences to draw on.

I'm applying this year and also in the middle of taking the OEC class, have the written test this Sat and the practical in November.

I almost feel like I know you a little! I lived in Steamboat Springs for 6 years where my husband was a pro patroller and I worked as an EMT in the local ER and taught EMS courses at Colorado Mountain College. After years of wanting to DO MORE!!!! - we finally moved out of Colorado and to Kentucky so I could finish my pre-reqs for medical school. Applying now and anxiously waiting for CU to extend an II - they are my hands-down top choice. My husband and I are both super anxious to be back in Colorado - he gave up the patroller job to work on an ambulance as a paramedic here - I think he wants CU maybe even more than I do :) I just wanted to wish the best of luck to you - I really hope you end up at CU - I know how much experience patrollers have, and I am confident you will make a fantastic physician! Way to chase your dreams!

Hey SkiPatrolDoc,

I just graduated from PSU in 2012. Did you happen to take an AAIRE Avy 1 class a few years back a PSU? Got this strange idea that I might know you. Anyways, good luck in your path back to a decade more of education. It's exciting and terrifying. Just make sure to ski it up as much as you can now.

So here's my story...I graduated from PSU in 2010 with a Biology degree focused toward ecology (environmental classes). After graduation, I moved to Colorado and have been working in the environmental health field (City of Aspen environmental and public health department) for the past 2 years. Also, since I was 19, I have been a volunteer ski patroller in Pennsylvania and a Pro Patroller here in Colorado, totaling 5 years now. I have had many high stress medical scenarios thrown my way, and I get excited about each and every call that I respond to. Work in the environmental field has significantly lost my interest and the lack of funding doesn't help either. So I have decided to follow my other interest, medicine. This means going back to school for a year and finishing some upper level pre-reqs and taking the MCAT.

I am moving back to PA from Colorado to do this while living at home to save up some money. I am 24 now and highly motivated to do this! I wanted to share my story in the hopes that it might help to inspire others. It's also nice to tell my story, it helps keep me motivated too! Ultimately, I hope to return to my true 'home' in Colorado to attend the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Recent events aside, as someone I have always looked up to, Joe Paterno once said, "Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things." Let's do this!

Hey Ski Patrol Doc,
How do you get a ski patrol job? This is my dream gap year job. Any good places that hire frequently?
Thanks

Hey Ski Patrol Doc,
How do you get a ski patrol job? This is my dream gap year job. Any good places that hire frequently?
Thanks

The best way to get onto a patrol is to start asking around February when their spring ski tests will be held. I have patrolled on Vail Mountain for about 5 years now, and every march we conduct multiple mornings of ski tests then select the strongest skiers to attend a hiring academy. At the academy you will be introduced into patrolling and the skills necessary to see if you have the right attitude and aptitude to be a patroller. I will say this though, this is a difficult job to attain for one season if you are looking to join a professional patrol. Most of the patrols I have worked with look for about a 3 year commitment given the amount of time required to train you to the professional level expected from most mountains. However I will say that ski patrolling is by far one of the best jobs you can have, great patient contact, challenging calls, and of course the chance to ski powder and throw explosives. Best of luck!