This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringHealthDeity

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to help people. I am in Pre Nursing because you don’t need advanced math skills, nursing dosage and you are done. I don’t want to be that nurse who regrets not going for their MD/DO, but if I know that my math skills won’t cut it or it’s too late to catch up on them, I can live with that.

You’ve probably seen this question a million times.What math skills should you have “mastered” to tackle Medical School prerequisites? In other words, what should I be working on for physics and chemistry?

Thanks,
AHD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Algebra, algebra, algebra (for both chemistry and physics). It will also depend on the physics class you take - my university offers two: one that is calculus-based, and one that is algebra/trig-based.

Also, a lot of med schools require statistics.

Hope that helps!

Algebra and stats are super important. I believe most med schools require calculus or stats, but some might only let you sub stats for one semester or what have you, so make sure you check that. As said above, you can take an algebra-based physics course. It will not give you a complete understanding of the physics, but it'll probably be good enough.

Also, I think you meant MD/DO. OD is optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is never too late to learn. Algebra, some trig and a good understanding of statistics will go far.

Reactions: 1 user
As other's have said, Algebra is critical or you won't make it through chem/physics. Most of what you need however can be gleaned from a CLEP book in a long weekend. I hadn't taken algebra for 20+ years and spent a few days studying a CLEP book and have pulled easy 100's as final course grades in both chem I/II and physics. Unless you are really weak in math, I wouldn't waste an entire semester in an algebra course.

For OD one of the math intensive courses is optics. If you can rock focal points/ whatever lenses-mirror problems were in college/highschool physics than you'll be fine.

I have to go up to calculus 1 for psychics and I am by NO means a math person. It's been a huge struggle but is doable. If you can do self tutoring go for it but if not bite the bullet, take the class and learn it. If this is something you wanna do don't let a bit of math get in your way.

Again this is coming from someone who never even dreamed of getting past college algebra so that should say something lol!

you could also rely upon khan academy.